urraco8

Title needed and advice

I need a Title for my 1951 Studebaker Truck. I have Bill of Sale but am having a terrible time getting Title.

After 68 years who knows where the Title is. This truck is a Hot Rod with 327 4 speed.

Please help if possible. Thanks. 

Where do you live?  Ask your local DMV.  Every state is different.

• Like 3

Check out the H.A.M.B., they have a good question and answer section related to Rods. You may find that having a bill of sale might not be enough for title purposes. Some states may want documentation for all parts used in the construction of the rod. Like 39Buick said, all states are different. Good luck.

I can set you up for 199.

been doing this for 10 yrs now.............

rdz69@aol.com

write to my email

38 minutes ago, caddyshack said:

Check out the H.A.M.B., they have a good question and answer section related to Rods. You may find that having a bill of sale might not be enough for title purposes. Some states may want documentation for all parts used in the construction of the rod. Like 39Buick said, all states are different. Good luck.

That stands for Hokey Ass Message Board. You can find their site at jalopyjournal.com. Good luck....

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I live in Va. I know about the Bonded, You tube ideas, etc. I want to do this without getting in any trouble, or hassles. So far our DMV and State Police have been no help. Steve.

The path to permission is a tough row to hoe. Forgiveness is granted with an open hand and a warm smile.

Around here stuff you get caught doing has a $100 local fine and a mandatory $100 state surcharge. Now, for a guy looking to save a buck.....

Bernie

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

The path to permission is a tough row to hoe. Forgiveness is granted with an open hand and a warm smile.

Around here stuff you get caught doing has a $100 local fine and a mandatory $100 state surcharge. Now, for a guy looking to save a buck.....

Bernie

Using a title that does not match the serial number or VIN is illegal in all 50 states. Your illegally titled vehicle can be confiscated as it is regarded as stolen.

In that case, you will be out well over $200.00.

Your car, your money, your life, your choice.

3 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

here we go............................

Don't shoot the messenger.😋

The OP may not be aware of the possible repercussions of not getting proper title to the vehicle; many people aren't.

44 minutes ago, 64avanti said:

possible repercussions of not getting proper title to the vehicle;

Driving a car with a VIN on the car that doesn't match the title is blatantly stupid. Where, on earth the that idea come from, since I appear to be the OP. I didn't mention it.

Pretty fatalist thinking for a Sunday morning.

Bernie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is possible to get replacement titles in some situation. I got them for 3 autos. Every state is different as was previously stated. 

Not sure how Mercer does it, but you could speak to him and get some info, or check with DMV, which is what I did in Tx. 

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Driving a car with a VIN on the car that doesn't match the title is blatantly stupid. Where, on earth the that idea come from, since I appear to be the OP. I didn't mention it.

Pretty fatalist thinking for a Sunday morning.

Bernie

It was implied in several of the responses. I was responding to urraco8 as the OP.

Edited by 64avanti (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 64avanti said:

It was implied in several of the responses.

We’ve talked about this on this site at length before. I don’t think anyone here thinks getting a title with an incorrect vin is a good idea. I think you misunderstood the responses here. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@urraco8, do you have a previous registration? What state was the car purchased from?

Some states like NH don’t title older cars. I was able to use a registration from NH, go to the DMV with it, and get a TX title.

Also had a car with an engine number that was used on a title. Was able to change it to a different number as the engine had been replaced. 

Also turned in a bill of sale for a car my dad had for many years, and some requested paperwork and got a title directly from DMV. 

Two of the cars I had a state inspector come and run the vins to make sure they were clear. Submitted those and some other documentation, as per the DMV. It took some time and I thought I was going to have to do bonded titles, but in the end I didn’t have to. By the way, there is nothing wrong with bonded titles and after a few years you can change it to a regular title. Also can sell with bonded title. 

I highly suggest you talk to your DMV or a reputable company who does bonded titles if that is allowed in your state. I’ve seen reference to titling cars through states that have easier systems, but I have no experience with that.  

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

In Pa it is impossible to get a title legally for a car any other way than paying a lawyer around $1000 and waiting almost a year for a judge to order that a title be issued. Even then documentation as to previous owner or owners is needed.

2 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

In Pa it is impossible to get a title legally for a car any other way than paying a lawyer around $1000 and waiting almost a year for a judge to order that a title be issued. Even then documentation as to previous owner or owners is needed.

I thought I was going to have to go this route in Texas. It would only have been a month or so, not a year. First I had to submit a request to DMV for a title and get a denial, though. Turns out, they gave me the titles. 

Point is that there are many possibilities, but since each state is different, it’s best to talk to the DMV. I didn’t just talk to the local officer either. The regional director out of Austin and I, had a few lengthy conversations. 

I think a different approach may be worth trying.   It seems as though you are really looking for a title to a hot rod based on a Studebaker.  If you want it titled,  the way to make this easier for you may be to ask for help getting a title for a "Reconstructed" vehicle - a hot rod.  You may end up going to the DMV office in Richmond and speaking to a supervisor but a unique VIN will be assigned to the car and you will be issued a special tab to affix to the car someplace.  I've never done this but believe there also may be a requirement to have it inspected by State Police.  Below info is from the DMV Website.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#reconstructed.asp

Definitions

Reconstructed Vehicle
Any vehicle that has been materially altered from its original construction by the removal, addition, or substitution of new or used essential parts. (VA Code § 46.2-100)
Specially Constructed Vehicle
Any vehicle that was not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model, or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles and which would not be otherwise defined as a reconstructed vehicle. (VA Code § 46.2-100) For example, a vehicle constructed using a Mercury frame and a Chevrolet body.
Replica Vehicle
Any vehicle not fully constructed by a licensed manufacturer, but either constructed or assembled from components. Such components may be from a single vehicle, multiple vehicles, a kit, parts, or fabricated components. The kit may be made up of major components, a full body, or a full chassis, or a combination of these parts. The vehicle must resemble a vehicle of distinctive name, line-make, model, or type as produced by a licensed manufacturer or manufacturer no longer in business and is not a reconstructed or specially constructed vehicle. (VA Code § 46.2-100)
Major Components
Any one of the following subassemblies of a motor vehicle: (i) front clip assembly, consisting of the fenders, grille, hood, bumper, and related parts; (ii) engine; (iii) transmission; (iv) rear clip assembly, consisting of the quarter panels, floor panels, trunk lid, bumper, and related parts; (v) frame; (vi) air bags; and (vii) any door that displays a vehicle identification number. (VA Code § 46.2-1600)

Part of the trouble you are also having may be that you are dealing with a local DMV office where the clerk is trained to just type stuff into their computer.  You need some additional human intervention with a dose of common sense and the ability to make decisions that most local DMV clerks can't seem to provide in out-of-the-box situations like this.   Not disparaging DMV clerks but they are at the wrong end of the chain in matters like this.

Good luck, keep us informed so others can learn from your experiences.

Terry

• Like 3

My brother needed a title for a 1949 Triumph auto. We tried every avenue to no avail. Finally an attorney was able to get him a court ordered title. I believe Pa is tougher than most states. Pa maintains that even if you are in possession of a car you do not own it unless you have a title. A bill of sale is meaningless without a title.  Sad that their thinking should be so brain dead here in the home state of AACA.

I started working for my grandfather when I was 11 years old. He ran a modestly successful used tire shop and used car lot along a rural section of a major highway (The Honeymoon Trail) in western New York. My Dad warned me to be judicious in the things I learned in the shop.

Once he was telling me about pioneer days in the old west. He told me that the Indians had great taboos how anyone who meddled with people  not fully competent mentally. He then looked me in the eyes, nodded his head, and said "We would have made it to California". The motor vehicle department has its defenses up and waiting for the "smart" person who tells them the rules and quotes the law. They take pretty good care of the lost and confused.

There are many impediments to honest people in bad situations. I almost think that there are some vehicles out there where the VIN on the car and the number on the title are the ONLY things that match.

Avoid large metropolitan departmental offices. Drive a little further to a rural county office.

If you walk in the door and see a snarly nasty face on a counter service person, just leave. I have driven an extra 50 miles to be greeted by a friendly face and felt the trip was well worth it.

I have been prompted to mouth the right answers when I looked helpless.

When I stand at the service window I am at least 3" shorter than I will be walking into the coffee shop next door. I always wear my Navy ships hat.

Check some old James Cagney movies and learn how to hold your hands and ask for help with "My old car", don't call it by name unless it is a Chevy or Ford.

image.png.9826dfc308016290f53a650b032adb9c.png

I wouldn't commit a felony, or fraud, but I can sure look like a helpless wretch if there is some clerical hurtle in my way.

Most of my teen age Saturdays were spent in the shop and we would make the auctions when I could stay out late.

Busy children and no grandchildren. No understudy.

Bernie

• Like 2