Kickin Cancer Cars and Coffee Event at New HQ

paul455

A huge Thank You for the AACA National HQ and AACA Library for generously offering to host "Kickin Cancer Cars & Coffee". The event will take place on Saturday August 24th from 8am till? Free Donuts and Coffee, Rouge Chef food truck will be selling breakfast and lunch items and activities for kids are being planned. Recommended donation for show cars is $10.00 spectators are free. Details are still being worked out and we will update as needed. The event will be held at the NEW HQ on Hershey Park Drive with show cars parked on the Fall Meet show field (thanks to HE&R).

The event is not only a great opportunity for you to get a sneak peak at the grounds of the new HQ but also benefits the family of Ryan Packer, our 13 year old grandson that was recently diagnosed with Acute B cell lymphoblastic leukemia. While his prognosis is good he will undergo nasty 3 years of Chemo and radiation.

We hope that many AACA members will be able to attend!

Thanks again to Chris Ritter, Steve Moskowitz, Matt Hocker, Mike Reilly, Pat Buckley, Stacy Zimmerman, Tara Delutis and Lori Shetter for all their hard work!

Paul & Lynn Gawel

added event flyer

FLYER Original 2.0.jpg

Edited by paul455 (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Those of us who have seen family members struggle with cancer are very thankful to see these kinds of activities. 
Kudos to all who will be taking part. 

If you are reading this and have never been touched on a personal level by cancer be very thankful 

and remember the many outlets who need your help financially and in other ways. 

Once you've seen it's devastation in person you realize how important it is. 

Please donate as you can🙏

Does Ryan's family have a go fund me page that we can donate to by chance? We're not able to attend since we're so far away

but we would like to donate somehow.

Kim & Dave 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

This is a pay pal account

https://paypal.me/pools/c/8gbY1qIwo7

Thank you for your kind words. Ryan's father is a 13 year cancer survivor and his Opa (Paul) is a 5 year survivor. We have fought this fight before but somehow this seems different, 3 years of chemo and radiation are going to be tuff. Ryan is up too the challenge! Toughest kid I know!

Thanks

Lynn Gawel

• Like 1

I hope a lot of people attend, wish I could but am to far away. It breaks my heart to read this, I taught elementary school art ( kids ages 5 to 12) for 35+ years and in that time saw at least 4 kids never make it to their teenage years due to cancer. One was my son's age and in his classes.  All of us need to think how lucky we are to have our health and our kids and friends kids to have theirs. I still get very emotional and upset to think of the kids in my class who are no longer here. Good health and God Speed to all.

Walt

• Like 6

On 7/15/2019 at 8:19 AM, Walt G said:

I hope a lot of people attend, wish I could but am to far away. It breaks my heart to read this, I taught elementary school art ( kids ages 5 to 12) for 35+ years and in that time saw at least 4 kids never make it to their teenage years due to cancer. One was my son's age and in his classes.  All of us need to think how lucky we are to have our health and our kids and friends kids to have theirs. I still get very emotional and upset to think of the kids in my class who are no longer here. Good health and God Speed to all.

Walt

Thanks Walt, I couldn't have said it any better - and thanks for the reminder.

Cancer of a friend, relative, loved one hits us all at some point, maybe unexpected, maybe family history, but even more tragic when a child is impacted.

I hope this event is well attended, and well supported, and remind all to appreciate those close to them for the time we get to share.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Paul/Lynn, for all you've done for AACA and members over the years it's the least that we could do to return some of the affection you've shown to our hobby and club.   It's a bit far for us to come from Chesapeake for this but I'm sending a contribution anyway to the Paypal acct.  I hope you'll try to make this a regular event.  Look forward to seeing you at Hershey.

Terry

Please post progress reports as they occur. I believe it will encourage many families reading this. We may never know who may have came across this thread even by accident... even if it only touches one life it's worth it. 

Thanks again Paul and everyone who have made us aware of Ryan's battle. It's important we continue supporting them as the family goes through these challenges. 

May he be at 100% soon. 🙏

Ryan has just completed his first round of chemo and 4 spinal taps. He now has 9 days off before the next round. It was a tuff month, problems controlling his blood counts and he had to have a blood transfusion and platelets. We are figuring out that while we might think his clinic day will be short that rarely happens. Long clinic days take him 3 days to bounce back. He was proud to keep most of his hair this past month but on Saturday he has decided it is time to shave the rest off.  The August schedule looks to be grueling, more so than July, the drugs get nastier and the clinic days even longer! He starts this round with a very long day on Monday August 5th, Tuesday the 6th has to return for another Spinal tap, then a nurse will visit his home daily for injections. There are several hospital stays coming near the end of Septembers round of chemo and radiation will be starting soon.  He is looking forward to starting school in mid August. He can't attend his regular school. He will work from home and a teacher will visit him daily as long as he feels up to it.

Ryan's spirts are good and he never complains. He is looking forward to the Cars & Coffee and hopes to feel well enough to walk around and thank as many as he can for their support.

Ryan is a die-hard Seattle Seahawks fan. His 16 year old brother is a Steelers fans. Several months ago we were looking at the NFL schedule and found that the Steelers were hosting the Seahawks on September 15th. Perfect Christmas gift! Tickets were purchased and it was to be a surprise for both grandsons. When he was diagnosed we decided he needed something to look forward to so we told them. They were both over the moon! His doctor has told him he will do everything he can to get his blood counts to a level that will allow him to go.

Again as Paul said, we can not thank everyone enough for their support

Lynn

• Like 1

I hope those of you nearby can join us.  I have a friend coming in from Maryland just to support the event. There is nothing much worse than having a young person afflicted with a severe medical problem.  If we can make a difference we should.  Despite the seriousness of the cause, it will be a fun day, we promise you that.  Going to be lots to do, plenty of donuts and activities especially for kids.  Make an effort to join us and support this deserving family.  They have already been through enough!

• Like 1

I was not going to elaborate further, been debating it with myself.  This is about Ryan and his family and not about my thoughts.  However, before coming to Hershey I was involved in two charities that had raised millions of dollars in supporting pediatric cancer research. I thought in my pensive mood I would share my experience with you. It was the sole purpose of those charities and the money went to the major hospitals and associate universities in the Chicago area.  The wonderful ex-major league baseball players that brought me into the fold eventually took me to the hospitals and to hear updates from the doctors about the research our money was doing.

The most striking thing was the AMAZING courage these kids exhibited during treatment.  Many hardly complained a bit as they underwent painful and time consuming treatments.  Their example to all of us was amazing.  At one hospital there was a large toy box that after each treatment a child was able to choose a toy.  One member in our group teased a young  bald headed boy that he chose a doll instead of a "man's toy".   The boy responded, "oh no, this is not for me, it is for my sister who takes such good care of me."  I can guarantee you that there was not ONE dry eye among our group.  It said it all.

I was fortunate and privileged later on to help make a difference in the infusion room with decorating it with Chicago based sports team displays and donations from my large memorabilia collection at the time.  One of the best things I ever did.

I am so proud of our AACA staff for their work in putting this event on along with the Gawels and Kulps.  Come join us, donate if you can but take a moment to make a difference yourself if you can with this project or any children's cancer charity near you.  You will get more out of it then you will give!  Sorry if I sound preachy but.....

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

The event turned out spectacular. Weather was perfect. We had a great turnout for the event. We would like to thank the AACA Library Staff and Headquarters Staff  along with all Volunteers for all that was done for this event. Chris Ritter did a super job of organizing. We were able to raise a lot of money. Ryan was able to stay for the entire event and went home vey happy and tired.  We can not say thank you enough to all involved to make this happen. A big thank you to all who brought cars and donated

Lynn and Paul Gawel

Edited by paul455 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1