Car hobby update..

nick8086

Sadly, not a surprise. Parts supplies are drying up, vendors have lower selling costs and higher profits with on-line sales, and frankly the hobby is aging out. Fall Carlisle is shrinking year after year. Spring seems to be doing well, however.

I agree,  not a surprise but the promoter sort pointed out why it is failing partly due to his own actions by selling vending spaces to who ever wants to sell anything

“We’ll have anything from kolaches to car parts to lawn and garden supplies — anything and everything,” Allen said. “I never know what’s going to be on the next vehicle I park.”

Why would people want to travel to walk around a flea market, looking at rakes and household junk? The internet is a much easier way to sell, and shop for parts and with a much lower overhead for both seller and buyer

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

HERSHEY is the one and only swap meet I load up for, always sad to see another meet end but we are running out of parts, and people who show up to buy them. eBay and the post office are still doing just fine. Bob 

Bob, you are 100% correct, Hershey brings a social connection also that is unique all to itself. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, John348 said:

Bob, you are 100% correct, Hershey brings a social connection also that is unique all to itself. 

Yes! 50 years in a row for me, I still get the feeling the people I meet there over the years are still there in spirit. 

Bob 

• Like 2

I don't go to Hershey every year, but I do go everytime I restore a car and occasionally when as friend is doing a car.  

I often think I should take everthing I own up there an sell it all off and start over.  But what if I had to bring it all back

and put it away again?   

• Thanks 1

I do parts full time mainly handles and yes bulk of my business is online because of the full time business and coverage worldwide,Hershey I always try and bring heavier and bigger pieces so the customer can save on frieght, but I will disagree with most comments, It's not drying up yet, I still year after year pull three to four parts cars out of fields, the issue is most people I believe have got so busy with the hustle bustle of every day life they forgot you have to work at anything, and yes making flea markets and freaking chrome tool guys and buffers makes you miss the rusty gold and selling rakes kills the parts swap meet, When I need parts for my personal cars I start asking on here on the AACA forum for guys who know and know others it's usually had and owned by several and someone has it, I find everyday bargains and deals weather it be ebay facebook market place, craigslist, local ads and just driving on trips and  last word of mouth, I am just shy of 60 and my father took me to Hershey as a child and he passed in 2012 he did parts and model t's and mopars and sold for 52 years. It takes me a month to prepare for Hershey and love every minute but it cost a lot.but love it and wouldn't miss it for anything. I would love to go to the swap meets in many other states, but it cost a lot of time and money, so I don't go. my Father said Carlisle was getting to new and he had spaces there from the beginning and he bailed 20 years ago.  Just look at Vanderbrink auctions and some other big ones couple years ago outside of cleveland I went and got a 48 desoto one man, one man only hoarded 750 cars and trucks all sold, now there out there for parts and restore. I constantly see old timers that either died and there families having 30-50 car hoards it's still out there Thanks to the older war generation hiding it to save from the scrap yards crushing them, just get back to working for it. Don't sit on the device and social media doom and gloom 

Good Luck!!!!! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, sad to see an event go, however from the description this one was a junk-market with some car stuff.  I think the reasons it died are self-evident.  Agree totally with Bob, Hershey is the one!   See you there.

Terry

7 hours ago, John348 said:

I agree,  not a surprise but the promoter sort pointed out why it is failing partly due to his own actions by selling vending spaces to who ever wants to sell anything

Why would people want to travel to walk around a flea market, looking at rakes and household junk? The internet is a much easier way to sell, and shop for parts and with a much lower overhead for both seller and buyer

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

I went to Hershey for the first time in 1965 with friends, then with my parents from then on until they passed away. It became a family affair, we went to places no longer there - the Coco Inn for breakfast on Sunday before returning home, etc. Now my son who is 25 and I attend, he has attended every year since he was born - loves it. If you don't buy anything at Hershey it is worth it for the in person people you can see only once a year. A half dozen friends from Germany ( who all own pre war American cars) come over and every year stop at my house on the way home for a meal before they board the plane at JFK airport. I told them we had to start a new tradition and it is now about 5 or 6 years we have done this. I only live about 30 minutes from JFK ( or 2 hours if you get stuck in traffic!) All my friends i met via interest in old cars. Being there gets you through the long winter months. The handshakes and hugs you get there do too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Walt G said:

It became a family affair, we went to places no longer there - the Coco Inn for breakfast on Sunday before returning home, etc. Now my son who is 25 and I attend, he has attended every year since he was born - loves it.

Having met your son at Hershey I can vouch that he is a great kid helping his dad out!

I'm a great kid too,  just a little older!  I was rolling around under my dad's car today unstrapping it and strapping it back in the trailer.  You would think at 94 he wouldn't need my help yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of various issues have hurt the swap meets. My guess for the top 4 would be:

(1 or 2) Government regulations or Insurance

(3) The internet

(4) Lack of individuals willing to do the work, and put up with (1) and (2) above.

We used to vend at Hershey, as well as several other meets.

Iola, Wisconsin was our favorite meet.

Jon.

There was a time when you could make a weeks pay AND cover the cost of going to Hershey, not that that matters. We'll never run out of parts they just don't turn up in truck loads like they did 30+ years ago, two milk crates worth is a good haul now. 

Bob 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John348 said:

Pretty much, it gets old fast having to sort through peoples garbage (which will often have ludicrous prices on it). I went to a yard sale the other day and had someone trying to sell me a crappy off brand stereo for more than it would have cost new 15 years ago....