KLF

31 Chrysler CM6 gas tank

I bought a very nice roadster last year. It's 95% restored. Unfortunately the gas tank was coated years ago and now the coating coming off and plugging up the gas line. Does anyone know of any reproduction tanks available? I don't think it can successfully cleaned out. Or does anybody have a good source on getting a tank made?

thanks Ken

20190130_143527 (2).jpg

If you have a good tinshop in your area you might check with them. I had a tank made for my '36 Dodge and it's near perfect. made from galvanized steel with all seams rolled and soldered. Having the old tank as a sample is great. Hope you can find someone.

Posted (edited)

look at the ends of the tank if they are soliderd in you can   un solder them and have the inside cleaned and repaired

Then re install the ends and solider them in .

You have to take the tank out clean all the gas fumes out first..

I did that with my 1930 cj6  after I got the ends out I had it sand blasted  then Brazed up the holes and bad spots  I put the ends back in and soliderd them in and had it coated . and still looks good .there is some good coatings and some not so good ..

My tank sat for 50 yrs and  it was something like tar to get out.

I use the old heavy  soldering irons I a have a collection of them .

Edited by Isaiah
added info (see edit history)

Rock Valley Ford will make a tank in stainless  , Have had two made one for my 32 Chevy one for my 30 Oakland .  Work great . Kings32

Where is Rock Valley Ford ? 

Do you have a rough idea what a tank would cost in stainless?

It was around 30 year that I did the gas tank for  my 1930 Chrysler !

There wasn’t as much available for it back then as there is today.

I've measured up the tank in my car and discovered it's the same dimensions as the tank in my 34 Dodge. Tanks Inc make the Dodge tanks. They are $265 in steel. The only unknown at the moment is how close the filler tube lines up. I called them and the sedan tank filler appears to be in the same spot as my Chrysler. The sending unit is in a different location but that isn't going to be an issue. I've ordered a tank so we'll find out if it will work. They are in stock at Tanks Inc.

Ken