1956 Buick 322 replace front harmonic balancer rope with rubber seal

Nail_Head

Has anyone had any luck replacing the 

I bought a Chicago Rawhide 19786 Oil Seal - (2.720" OD X 2.000" ID X 0.468" Wide) that was recommended as a replacement for the front harmonic balancer rope seal.  Has anyone tried this and did it work?  Any other recommendation?

Thanks,

Bruce

So the Chicago Rawhide is rubber and not leather ?  On my 57 I used the Best Gasket front seal and installed a hub cone over the old somewhat pitted outer surface of the balancer that the cover rides over.  The old seal you are taking out if you look at your balancer hub may have a corroded track where it was in contact with the old seal of the balancer hub.  If it is pitted and most times it is and usually is the cause of the leak you should purchase a hub sleeve kit.  They can be purchased at Napa Auto Parts.  Take your Mic or Calipers and get the outside O.D. as you will need that to purchase the right hub sleeve.  With the new sleeve installed over the nose of your balancer hub your new rubber or rope replacement seal will have a clean virgin area on which to ride upon ensuring a good seal.  

Edited by buick man (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The issue of "seal" and "seal surface interface" is valid for ANY vehicle's seals.  The balancer sleeve is a somewhat common "fix" for later engines, so no reason it can't work on earlier ones, too.  Might need to use some abrasive paper to clean the balancer surface where the sleeve slides onto and will reside, but just enough to get it on.

In some seals, the replacement brands relocate the seal lip a slight bit "back" to put it out of the existing wear groove from the OEM seal.  Not all, but some do this, when there's enough room.  Otherwise, the new seal will be running in the same groove that was seeping/leaking.  In other cases, the ID of the seal might be a slight bit smaller, to better fit the OD of the groove, possibly.

Just some thoughts and observations,

NTX5467

Thanks for the replies.  My harmonic balancer is new so no problems with the sealing surface.  My real question is if anyone else has had luck or failure with running a rubber seal rather than the factory rope seal.

Thanks,

Bruce

1 hour ago, Nail_Head said:

Thanks for the replies.  My harmonic balancer is new so no problems with the sealing surface.  My real question is if anyone else has had luck or failure with running a rubber seal rather than the factory rope seal.

Thanks,

Bruce

I don't have the seal number handy, but I installed a seal with good results.  The seal was the same for the later big block buick engine (455).  It was a 0.020 inch interference fit, so the timing cover will need to be chamfered and good seal installation tool used....alternately take it to a machine shop for installation.

Most properly installed rope seals will not leak for many miles.  Just be sure the seal retainer is present.