Lebowski

50 Years ago this month we landed on the moon! (old car related)

I was with my Family on a summer vacation at a place called Lake Shawnigan, British Columbia, Canada and watched Neil Armstrong step off the ladder. It was a black and white TV but bigger than the one we had at home...

I was young and a "space fan" collecting anything printed in the papers or magazines.

I think they are stored at Mom's yet and should look before they disappear.

As mentioned, it was a vacation Dad had planed travelling west across North America starting from home (across the river from Detroit, Mi) straight across the US to just north of LA, taking the Coast Highway up to Seattle, Wa, taking a Ferry over to Victoria, BC and staying at our great Aunts in Lake Shawnigan where the EVENT took place on that black and white TV. 

Then we took another Ferry over to Vancouver, BC heading over the Canadian Rockies using the Northern Trans Canada Highway heading east across the Canadian Prairies back to Ontario and home.

As to the old car connection, Dad came across a 1959 Oldsmobile 98 hardtop months before we left with average miles on it and decided to use it with a set of new tires and new brakes. That car was perfect for a family of five other than the fact it didn't have air conditioning which tested mom's  endurance crossing the Bonneville Salt Flats in 100 degree heat.... 

All told the trip covered just over 8,000 miles in five weeks which was memorable enough but seeing a man on the moon was just that special kind of topper!

Dad loved that car and kept it for almost 9 years when I got my license and got to drive it later.

1946818200_1959Olds98-Winterof1969934PointPeleeDrLeamington-Copy.thumb.jpg.bfa045a4a520007ddc61dc233a0f679b.jpg

Memories....

• Like 1

I remember seeing the landing on a TV in an NCO club somewhere in SEA but do not recall exactly where...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Lebowski said:

I was down your way for basic training at Fort Polk in early 1971. I was lucky to get out of there in April because I heard a lot of bad things about the heat and humidity down there in the summer.... :)

YUP !

Fort Polk is West Central Louisiana, 200+ miles from New Orleans.

Summers there can be MISERABLE,

Heat, Humidity, Bugs, Bugs, Off-Base-Locals who didn't care for "Yankees", Your Favorite Drill Sergeant, Over-Priced Off-Base Bars, More Bugs, More Humidity, Sand, Fleas, Mosquitos, More Heat !!!

Very different from being in the A/C of a New Orleans Hospital Computer Center,

or playing Jazz and Dixieland Trumpet in the KOOL of a Bourbon Street club,

Fishing, Shrimping, and water Skiing in the GUlf of Mexico

C'mon back and really enjoy My Louisiana !

• Like 1

My basic was a walk in the park at Lackland, San Antonio, Texas

4th of July. Half the group was from south Florida and other half was from Spokane, WA. Not hotter than FL but DRY. Comfortable at night. Meanwhile any time we went outside for PT or drill could count on a few of the Spokane guys falling over and the event would be cancelled.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

YUP !

Fort Polk is West Central Louisiana, 200+ miles from New Orleans.

Summers there can be MISERABLE,

Heat, Humidity, Bugs, Bugs, Off-Base-Locals who didn't care for "Yankees", Your Favorite Drill Sergeant, Over-Priced Off-Base Bars, More Bugs, More Humidity, Sand, Fleas, Mosquitos, More Heat !!!

Very different from being in the A/C of a New Orleans Hospital Computer Center,

or playing Jazz and Dixieland Trumpet in the KOOL of a Bourbon Street club,

Fishing, Shrimping, and water Skiing in the GUlf of Mexico

C'mon back and really enjoy My Louisiana !

I remember that Leesville was right next to Fort Polk but everyone called it Diseaseville for some reason.... :D

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, padgett said:

My basic was a walk in the park at Lackland, San Antonio, Texas

4th of July. Half the group was from south Florida and other half was from Spokane, WA. Not hotter than FL but DRY. Comfortable at night. Meanwhile any time we went outside for PT or drill could count on a few of the Spokane guys falling over and the event would be cancelled.

I remember one day in basic they said they needed volunteers to donate blood and whoever did would get the afternoon off. Of course most of us did and after lunch they said they changed their minds and there was no afternoon off. Did they pull that on you? Any other vets out there get this same line of BS? 

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pfeil said:

All this talk about the moon landing and not a word about the single most person responsible for us getting there.

Assuming you mean JFK,...

One can only wonder what he would have thought about the space program today and the pride he would have felt.  

On the other hand, seeing how the Federal Reserve and the "World" bank has such a choke hold on things today (without a glimpse of the gold standard) may have given him a heart attack anyway...

God Bless JFK and our current leadership for having the desire to see more out of our space program.

We sure have come a long way from that little 13" black and white to now watching them explore in vivid beautiful color footage on a 60" flat screen. Cannot imagine how those astronauts who have been so fortunate to fly past our atmosphere feel when they look down on earth from the moon or while orbiting in space. Seeing it on the big screen is one thing but experiencing it in real time... priceless I'm sure.

Truly an amazing human accomplishment. If only everything else in life would bring the people of the world together like space exploration....

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Found the picture taken the very moment Neil Armstrong came down the ladder.

2140803993_MoonLanding-July291969-DouglasIves.thumb.jpg.d5fa460e43363859c2cdaa9fca583002.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Assuming you mean JFK,...

One can only wonder what he would have thought about the space program today and the pride he would have felt.  

On the other hand, seeing how the Federal Reserve and the "World" bank has such a choke hold on things today (without a glimpse of the gold standard) may have given him a heart attack anyway...

God Bless JFK and our current leadership for having the desire to see more out of our space program.

We sure have come a long way from that little 13" black and white to now watching them explore in vivid beautiful color footage on a 60" flat screen. Cannot imagine how those astronauts who have been so fortunate to fly past our atmosphere feel when they look down on earth from the moon or while orbiting in space. Seeing it on the big screen is one thing but experiencing it in real time... priceless I'm sure.

Truly an amazing human accomplishment. If only everything else in life would bring the people of the world together like space exploration....

Not exactly, 

I'm referring to the father of the Saturn 5 and his vision since the 30's. He developed the  rockets that launched our first space satellite " Explorer 1". Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center and chief architect of the Saturn V super heavy launch vehicle that propelled Apollo Spacecraft to the moon. A National Medal of Science recipient.  Dreaming and financing are one aspect. Actually doing it is another endeavor.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would have thought Chis Kraft.

ps we flew to the moon on plated wire memory.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, padgett said:

I would have thought Chis Kraft.

Kraft, like all the engineers on these projects played a crucial role and as in humanity are linked together. Linked together is a key word in the space race. But my meaning has more to do with the architect of the Saturn 5 and going all the way back to it's beginning. The beginning is what gave U.S. rocketry it's leg up of about 5 years, but it wasn't until 1957 that Von Braun was needed and finally utilized  to really get our space program going with the Jupiter C. This was all necessary because of the USSR's Sputnik. A interesting note on the Soviet R-7 is that it's father and the Saturn 5 have the same father because the Soviets took the plans for the V-2 while they were in Peenemunde and started their own programs from it.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Not exactly, 

I'm referring to the father of the Saturn 5 and his vision since the 30's. He developed the  rockets that launched our first space satellite " Explorer 1". Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center and chief architect of the Saturn V super heavy launch vehicle that propelled Apollo Spacecraft to the moon. A National Medal of Science recipient.  Dreaming and financing are one aspect. Actually doing it is another endeavor.  

Ahh yes of course...

See the source image

On 7/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, Pfeil said:

All this talk about the moon landing and not a word about the single most person responsible for us getting there.

Well, the first response would seem to be Kennedy, he had the dream....but the person who pushed and really made it happen was Lyndon B. Johnson....I never really liked him, but he's the one who kept it alive and made sure we got to the moon.

I was just out of high school and traveling with a friend for the summer, we'd stayed at my sister's house in Charlotte and saw the landing, it's the kind of memory that stays with you.

Now, to make this car related, let's not forget the Lunar Rover.  It was made so fragile (to be light and also work in moon's gravity) that there was no place on earth to really test it.  In Earth's gravity it would just collapse under the weight of the people on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Now, to make this car related, let's not forget the Lunar Rover.  It was made so fragile (to be light and also work in moon's gravity) that there was no place on earth to really test it.  In Earth's gravity it would just collapse under the weight of the people on it.

How about this Lightweight Rover?

thumbnail?appId=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

32 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Well, the first response would seem to be Kennedy, he had the dream....but the person who pushed and really made it happen was Lyndon B. Johnson....I never really liked him, but he's the one who kept it alive and made sure we got to the moon.

I was just out of high school and traveling with a friend for the summer, we'd stayed at my sister's house in Charlotte and saw the landing, it's the kind of memory that stays with you.

Talking about the dream. In 1930, von Braun attended the Technische Hochschule Berlin , where he joined the Spaceflight Society  and assisted Willy Ley in his liquid-fueled rocket motor tests in conjunction with Herman Oberth. In spring 1932, he graduated with a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. His early exposure to rocketry convinced him that the "exploration of space" would require far more than applications of the current engineering technology. Wanting to learn more about Physics, Chemistry, and Astronomy, von Braun entered the Friedrich Wilhelm University of Berlin for post-graduate studies and graduated with a Doctorate in physics in 1934. He also studied at E T H Zurich for a term from June to October 1931.[17] Although he worked mainly on military rockets in his later years there, space travel remained his primary interest.

As far as a dream is concerned. Kennedy and Johnson were both 13 years old in 1930. Von Braun was already studying on how to get to the moon in 1930. 

• Like 1

Marty, I'd love to hover over your rover link and pull up to make closure, moreover in full disclosure, it didn't work!

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

How about this Lightweight Rover?

thumbnail?appId=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

That's a good subject.

The concept of a Lunar Rover predated Apollo, with a 1952–1954 series in Colliers Weekly magazine by Wernher von Braun and others

In the February 1964 issue of Popular Science, Von Braun, then director of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center (MSFC), discussed the need for a lunar surface vehicle, and revealed that studies had been underway at Marshall in conjunction with Lockheed, Bendix, Boeing, General Motors, Brown Engineering, Grumman, and Bell Aerospace.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Photos I took while on a tour of Kennedy Space Center (Cape Canaveral). I have more photos...

1638210700_orlando2018(39).thumb.jpg.5e67e024abcf73299c6a20a748bc00b2.jpg

I think the capsule is Apollo 14.

1209510972_orlando2018(34).thumb.jpg.7540ca2d76d428baf8c271af2f9fe1ab.jpg

125972113_orlando2018(27).thumb.jpg.ce51e00dce9ece8092884ec903e40693.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a short video of the moon landing....