50 Years ago this month we landed on the moon! (old car related)

Lebowski

I was getting ready to start my senior year of high school and I remember this very well. After all the problems here with Vietnam and racial tensions we all came together to watch this tremendous accomplishment. I clearly remember our whole family (9 counting parents) watching this on our black and white TV (our only TV) and feeling a tremendous sense of pride in our country that we had actually beat the Russians to the moon. USA! USA! :)

It was also the same week as the Ted Kennedy Chappaquiddick incident unfortunately. 

I went to the store back then and bought a copy of the Chicago Sun-Times and saved it for 50 years and was recently looking through some of the car ads and there were some pretty good deals as you can imagine. If we could only find cars at these prices now....

PICT0031.JPG

PICT0033.JPG

PICT0034.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0036.JPG

PICT0037.JPG

PICT0040.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for posting.  You pretty much summed up that period of time in my life.  We must be close to the same age. 

If I had a time machine I would go back and buy all those cars. That Grand Spaulding Dodge ad brings back a lot of memories for this old Tennessee boy.  They advertised all the time on WLS, the best radio station we could get back then. We could only pick it up at night but we still loved it. 

• Like 1

Fun thing is that I was there (had a new 67 Camaro with 327/4speed/gauges/AC that I autocrossed A Lot). Grand for a newish 190SL sounds about right, was a common graduation present for girls. Note that back then a "Sport Coupe" cost less than a four door.

Guess even then was building "resto-mods". Rules were a lot different then, more "run what you brung". Funny thing, drag trophies were always a lot bigger than autocross...

Removed the rear seat to make a load floor, did that to the current DD also. BTW headlights were Lucas PLs and driving lights were halogen Cibies that were brought back from Europe. Only sealed beams were legal then so was careful not to hit any cars with them (except those who would not dim)

ps the astute reader will realize that wide ovals/wide boots did not exist then. Those are Blue Streaks (said the rules were different...)

camaro.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

The moon landing occurred on my birthday, July 20th so it’s easy for me to remember the date.  I too was entering my senior year of high school that September, graduating in the class of 1970.  I am sure the space program influenced my decision to choose engineering as my area of study in college.  As much as I like being a grease monkey, nothing could compare to what was happening in the race for space.

It is bittersweet to have those memories along with the loss of so many people my age in Vietnam.  For as successful as the US was in space the mire of the war sure took away from the celebration of accomplishment.  Several years ago I bought a new backpacking tent from REI as it was highly rated for its construction.  When I unpacked it and saw the country of manufacture was Vietnam I could not help to think of the irony of the whole war effort.  I almost packed it up to send it back.  I guess that was why many could not understand buying things from Germany and Japan if they lived through WWII.  Memories are sure a mixed emotion.

• Like 2

I had just come back to the states after two tours in the WESTPAC when my former ship, the USS Arlington AGMR 2 participated in the Apollo 11 recovery. I was part of the Apollo 8 recovery when the did the drive by.

Appollo8.JPG.b3d472743815abe6bbf9aac65da0d6a1.JPG

We performed a man-the-rail, saluted the astronauts, and got to see the capsule on the carrier deck. Back then we were the world's mobile command center .

image.png.a99e82a91319cdbaecd18ba3dcc1803b.png

image.png.e12e8613a9948c0ca530e1c0c60f70ab.png

Exciting stuff for a 20 year old.

Here's 11 just before the splash.

apollo11.JPG.e7258c4ddee7cc257746835644e0be5f.JPG

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I'd take the 60 Chevy convertible with 348 and 3-2s and Buckets for $350.......😫

My first car was $15. Paid cash.🤣

33 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

I'd take the 60 Chevy convertible with 348 and 3-2s and Buckets for $350.......😫

My first car was $15. Paid cash.🤣

In 1970, first car 1951 Pontiac Chieftan  two tone green,4 dr with sun visor, bumper guards, fender skirts, straight 8 auto trans.  Price $100.

I can remember the day because my Grandfather had passed away and that night my father, uncle and myself had the "nightshift" at the funeral home.  Back in those day, at least down in Tennessee, the funeral home stayed open all night the day of the viewing and some family members were expected to be there.  We all took "shifts".

• Like 1

Great Stuff! Thanks for posting it.

When we moved from The Bronx out to Long Island in 1968, about 5 miles from Grumman Aviation. I was in the Boy Scouts and we went on a tour of the facility. Part of the tour was we were able to go to an observation area and look down through windows at the assembly of the Lunar Module. I remember the Scout Master telling us "you are looking at one of the biggest pieces of history through that window, you will never forget it" He was right! It looked like an operating room, everyone working was dressed in what appeared to be surgical gowns. With different colored hats designating the crew that they were part of, electrical, mechanical hydraulic, and so on.

Something I just found out a year or two ago. Down the road from Grumman is a famous old restaurant called the Millerage Inn, outside the entrance to the bar portion of the restaurant next to the door is a bronze plaque just stating "Tranquility Base." Apparently after the Lunar Module part of the mission was complete and jettisoned away from the command module, the Grumman portion of the mission was complete and the engineers went there to celebrate their success. One of our neighbors was an engineer involved with the project and was issued a replica of the original patch worn by the crew, which he gave to me. I still have the entire set, now they are reproduced    

• Like 1

I was doing archaeology in Israel. I was 19. We watched the landing outside on a 14" black and white TV with maybe 200 other folks, mostly Israelis. The landing was at 3 or so in the morning. While quite patriotic I was never an over the top flag waving patriot yet when the landing happened a spontaneous cheer erupted from the crowd and I was never more proud to be an American. Brings chills to me just thinking about it. 

• Like 1

Still in high school I and two of my younger  brothers scrounged parts from three 1950s televisions to be able to watch  the landing.

At the time I was daily looking through the "THRIFTY" section (autos  $25 and under) in the St. Paul newspaper for cars to flip.

My first car cost me $5,  I moved up to the more expensive $25 cars quickly but they weren't really any better than the first one.

Married two weeks - just back from using Mini-Moke rental car for honeymoon in St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix.

Back to reality in New Orleans with new 1969 Pontiac Custom"S", new job in hospital data center administration, weekends fishing, swimming, waterskiing at Grand Isle, LA, learning my way through our Citroen DS-21-

Getting involved with local antique car clubs (AACA, HCCA)

1969 was an amazing time -

Years later I watched the 1994 movie "PONTIAC MOON" about the moon landing while the main character takes his son to the national park where topography allowed our astronauts to prepare for the actual moon landing. 

As the 1969 Apollo moon landing draws near, a teacher (played by Ted Danson) takes his young son on a symbolic journey in a 1959 Pontiac convertible, exactly like my first "Driver"  to a national park - CRATERS OF THE MOON. Once they have set off, the man's wife, (played by his real-life wife Mary Steenburgen) faces her fears and decides to leave the house for the first time in seven years to join them. She drives an Amphicar in the film.

Dale and I drove our 1941 Cadillac convertible and visited Craters of the Moon National Park last September on the Glidden Tour.

https://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Moon-Ted-Danson/dp/B009NX1C16

https://www.amazon.com/Pontiac-Moon-Widescreen-Ted-Danson/dp/B0000UJLUK

We moved from our apartment in Brooklyn to our brand-new house in the wilds of Staten Island the day before the lunar landing.  We were driving back to Brooklyn the following day to turn-in our apartment key and listened to the landing as it happened on the radio in our '65 Coronet.

• Like 1

There is a big reunion party going in a Cape Kennedy for the 50th Anniversary.  We know two

couples going that both worked on the Apollo & Space Shuttle projects.  Both long time old car guys too.

We watched in on TV as college students just out of the Air Force.

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

Married two weeks - just back from using Mini-Moke rental car for honeymoon in St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix.

Back to reality in New Orleans with new 1969 Pontiac Custom"S"

I was down your way for basic training at Fort Polk in early 1971. I was lucky to get out of there in April because I heard a lot of bad things about the heat and humidity down there in the summer.... :)

• Like 1

I was with my Family on a summer vacation at a place called Lake Shawnigan, British Columbia, Canada and watched Neil Armstrong step off the ladder. It was a black and white TV but bigger than the one we had at home...

I was young and a "space fan" collecting anything printed in the papers or magazines.

I think they are stored at Mom's yet and should look before they disappear.

As mentioned, it was a vacation Dad had planed travelling west across North America starting from home (across the river from Detroit, Mi) straight across the US to just north of LA, taking the Coast Highway up to Seattle, Wa, taking a Ferry over to Victoria, BC and staying at our great Aunts in Lake Shawnigan where the EVENT took place on that black and white TV. 

Then we took another Ferry over to Vancouver, BC heading over the Canadian Rockies using the Northern Trans Canada Highway heading east across the Canadian Prairies back to Ontario and home.

As to the old car connection, Dad came across a 1959 Oldsmobile 98 hardtop months before we left with average miles on it and decided to use it with a set of new tires and new brakes. That car was perfect for a family of five other than the fact it didn't have air conditioning which tested mom's  endurance crossing the Bonneville Salt Flats in 100 degree heat.... 

All told the trip covered just over 8,000 miles in five weeks which was memorable enough but seeing a man on the moon was just that special kind of topper!

Dad loved that car and kept it for almost 9 years when I got my license and got to drive it later.

1946818200_1959Olds98-Winterof1969934PointPeleeDrLeamington-Copy.thumb.jpg.bfa045a4a520007ddc61dc233a0f679b.jpg

Memories....

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, Lebowski said:

I was down your way for basic training at Fort Polk in early 1971. I was lucky to get out of there in April because I heard a lot of bad things about the heat and humidity down there in the summer.... :)

YUP !

Fort Polk is West Central Louisiana, 200+ miles from New Orleans.

Summers there can be MISERABLE,

Heat, Humidity, Bugs, Bugs, Off-Base-Locals who didn't care for "Yankees", Your Favorite Drill Sergeant, Over-Priced Off-Base Bars, More Bugs, More Humidity, Sand, Fleas, Mosquitos, More Heat !!!

Very different from being in the A/C of a New Orleans Hospital Computer Center,

or playing Jazz and Dixieland Trumpet in the KOOL of a Bourbon Street club,

Fishing, Shrimping, and water Skiing in the GUlf of Mexico

C'mon back and really enjoy My Louisiana !

• Like 1

My basic was a walk in the park at Lackland, San Antonio, Texas

4th of July. Half the group was from south Florida and other half was from Spokane, WA. Not hotter than FL but DRY. Comfortable at night. Meanwhile any time we went outside for PT or drill could count on a few of the Spokane guys falling over and the event would be cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Roth said:

YUP !

Fort Polk is West Central Louisiana, 200+ miles from New Orleans.

Summers there can be MISERABLE,

Heat, Humidity, Bugs, Bugs, Off-Base-Locals who didn't care for "Yankees", Your Favorite Drill Sergeant, Over-Priced Off-Base Bars, More Bugs, More Humidity, Sand, Fleas, Mosquitos, More Heat !!!

Very different from being in the A/C of a New Orleans Hospital Computer Center,

or playing Jazz and Dixieland Trumpet in the KOOL of a Bourbon Street club,

Fishing, Shrimping, and water Skiing in the GUlf of Mexico

C'mon back and really enjoy My Louisiana !

I remember that Leesville was right next to Fort Polk but everyone called it Diseaseville for some reason.... :D

Edited by Lebowski (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, padgett said:

My basic was a walk in the park at Lackland, San Antonio, Texas

4th of July. Half the group was from south Florida and other half was from Spokane, WA. Not hotter than FL but DRY. Comfortable at night. Meanwhile any time we went outside for PT or drill could count on a few of the Spokane guys falling over and the event would be cancelled.

I remember one day in basic they said they needed volunteers to donate blood and whoever did would get the afternoon off. Of course most of us did and after lunch they said they changed their minds and there was no afternoon off. Did they pull that on you? Any other vets out there get this same line of BS? 

On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pfeil said:

All this talk about the moon landing and not a word about the single most person responsible for us getting there.

Assuming you mean JFK,...

One can only wonder what he would have thought about the space program today and the pride he would have felt.  

On the other hand, seeing how the Federal Reserve and the "World" bank has such a choke hold on things today (without a glimpse of the gold standard) may have given him a heart attack anyway...

God Bless JFK and our current leadership for having the desire to see more out of our space program.

We sure have come a long way from that little 13" black and white to now watching them explore in vivid beautiful color footage on a 60" flat screen. Cannot imagine how those astronauts who have been so fortunate to fly past our atmosphere feel when they look down on earth from the moon or while orbiting in space. Seeing it on the big screen is one thing but experiencing it in real time... priceless I'm sure.

Truly an amazing human accomplishment. If only everything else in life would bring the people of the world together like space exploration....

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Assuming you mean JFK,...

One can only wonder what he would have thought about the space program today and the pride he would have felt.  

On the other hand, seeing how the Federal Reserve and the "World" bank has such a choke hold on things today (without a glimpse of the gold standard) may have given him a heart attack anyway...

God Bless JFK and our current leadership for having the desire to see more out of our space program.

We sure have come a long way from that little 13" black and white to now watching them explore in vivid beautiful color footage on a 60" flat screen. Cannot imagine how those astronauts who have been so fortunate to fly past our atmosphere feel when they look down on earth from the moon or while orbiting in space. Seeing it on the big screen is one thing but experiencing it in real time... priceless I'm sure.

Truly an amazing human accomplishment. If only everything else in life would bring the people of the world together like space exploration....

Not exactly, 

I'm referring to the father of the Saturn 5 and his vision since the 30's. He developed the  rockets that launched our first space satellite " Explorer 1". Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center and chief architect of the Saturn V super heavy launch vehicle that propelled Apollo Spacecraft to the moon. A National Medal of Science recipient.  Dreaming and financing are one aspect. Actually doing it is another endeavor.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, padgett said:

I would have thought Chis Kraft.

Kraft, like all the engineers on these projects played a crucial role and as in humanity are linked together. Linked together is a key word in the space race. But my meaning has more to do with the architect of the Saturn 5 and going all the way back to it's beginning. The beginning is what gave U.S. rocketry it's leg up of about 5 years, but it wasn't until 1957 that Von Braun was needed and finally utilized  to really get our space program going with the Jupiter C. This was all necessary because of the USSR's Sputnik. A interesting note on the Soviet R-7 is that it's father and the Saturn 5 have the same father because the Soviets took the plans for the V-2 while they were in Peenemunde and started their own programs from it.  

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Not exactly, 

I'm referring to the father of the Saturn 5 and his vision since the 30's. He developed the  rockets that launched our first space satellite " Explorer 1". Director of the Marshall Space Flight Center and chief architect of the Saturn V super heavy launch vehicle that propelled Apollo Spacecraft to the moon. A National Medal of Science recipient.  Dreaming and financing are one aspect. Actually doing it is another endeavor.  

Ahh yes of course...

See the source image

On 7/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, Pfeil said:

All this talk about the moon landing and not a word about the single most person responsible for us getting there.

Well, the first response would seem to be Kennedy, he had the dream....but the person who pushed and really made it happen was Lyndon B. Johnson....I never really liked him, but he's the one who kept it alive and made sure we got to the moon.

I was just out of high school and traveling with a friend for the summer, we'd stayed at my sister's house in Charlotte and saw the landing, it's the kind of memory that stays with you.

Now, to make this car related, let's not forget the Lunar Rover.  It was made so fragile (to be light and also work in moon's gravity) that there was no place on earth to really test it.  In Earth's gravity it would just collapse under the weight of the people on it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Now, to make this car related, let's not forget the Lunar Rover.  It was made so fragile (to be light and also work in moon's gravity) that there was no place on earth to really test it.  In Earth's gravity it would just collapse under the weight of the people on it.

How about this Lightweight Rover?

thumbnail?appId=aolwebmail&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

32 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Well, the first response would seem to be Kennedy, he had the dream....but the person who pushed and really made it happen was Lyndon B. Johnson....I never really liked him, but he's the one who kept it alive and made sure we got to the moon.

I was just out of high school and traveling with a friend for the summer, we'd stayed at my sister's house in Charlotte and saw the landing, it's the kind of memory that stays with you.

Talking about the dream. In 1930, von Braun attended the Technische Hochschule Berlin , where he joined the Spaceflight Society  and assisted Willy Ley in his liquid-fueled rocket motor tests in conjunction with Herman Oberth. In spring 1932, he graduated with a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering. His early exposure to rocketry convinced him that the "exploration of space" would require far more than applications of the current engineering technology. Wanting to learn more about Physics, Chemistry, and Astronomy, von Braun entered the Friedrich Wilhelm University of Berlin for post-graduate studies and graduated with a Doctorate in physics in 1934. He also studied at E T H Zurich for a term from June to October 1931.[17] Although he worked mainly on military rockets in his later years there, space travel remained his primary interest.

As far as a dream is concerned. Kennedy and Johnson were both 13 years old in 1930. Von Braun was already studying on how to get to the moon in 1930. 

• Like 1