Dpsmith

Stutz Overdrive?

Does anyone have experience in fitting an overdrive to 1927+ Stutz? 

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Are Stutzes torque tube or open driveshaft? That will be the most significant issue. Open driveshaft, no problem, do it in your driveway. Torque tube requires significant modifications and the help of a good machine shop.

Either way, I recommend a Gear Vendors unit. Costs more up front, costs less later when it doesn't break. Difficulty of installation of any type of overdrive is similar. Do a search on this forum--there are more than a few detailed installations on a variety of cars, including my own 1929 Cadillac, that you can draw from.

More details on your specific car would be very helpful.

1927 Stutz AA Vertical Eight. Open driveshaft. 

Hi its not on road I installed  a rts top loader ford 1984  trans in my 1930 Stutz 4 dr cov.  4 speed with overdrive, have 4.25 rear ratio should do 70 mpr. Did not hsve to change the drive  shaft. stutzl6

I have been thinking of that option as well. 

Did you have to make an adapter plate or new bell-housing?

Is the shifter in roughly the same place as the stock one?

Photos would be great!

• Like 1

Have a set of high speed gears in our 33. Work great.

The bell housing is from a1929 Blackhawk  I shorten the out put shaft 6 in and made a  hub to install Stutz brake drum .  Cast a bracket for the brake band. Welled 3 round block for the Stutz brake handle. stutzl6

DPsmith   Edinmass said for you to get 3.8 gear set, I think1927 small bore engine 650 700 20 tires 3.8 gear you will shift on hills, good on flat roads. I  got a set of 3.8 for my 1934 sedan with dv and 750 18 tires that's a  good combo. stutzl6

Hello Stutz16

Can you post some photo,s of your assembly of the four speed conversion to your Stutz Thanks Len