Any interest in some free Road & Track magazines?

keiser31

A friend of mine is moving and has a bunch of 1950s, through the 1970s or 80s Road & Track magazines to get rid of. Anyone interested in them for the cost of shipping and maybe a little more for the effort of wrapping and shipping? Is it worth the effort or should they just go to the recycle place?

Just by coincidence, I picked up about a dozen

Road and Track magazines at our most recent

AACA region meeting.  (Issues were from the 1970's.)

They are interesting magazines, but even back in

the 1970's, they spent most of their effort on foreign cars,

mostly the sporty versions.  Unlike Motor Trend,

very little content discusses American cars.

I'd recommend:  If there are no takers here, take them

to your next car-club meeting.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Give the Speedway Museum in Lincoln NE, a call. I donated boxes of automotive magazines to them. They sent UPS Shipping labels and even told me they would pay for the boxes. I tried everywhere, my local school system, hospital and nursing homes to donate them. Believe it or not I was told that they could not accept them because of "legal issues".

• Like 1

There used to be a joke photo in the last pages of each issue. One month there was a picture of a large burned farm house with a very, badly dented and abused Buick in front. The caption read ""John" saved enough money by wiring his own house to buy a Buick". If you happen to run across that issue I would be in for it. Even a scan posted here would be so great.

Bernie

Yes it is focused on foreign makes. The October '59 issue I have has road tests on:

1. Humber Super Snipe

2. BMW R-60 motorcycle

3. MG Magnette

4. "Alfa Super Spider"

5. MG-A 1600

And an article about the Locomobile Model 90 Sportiff; and Panhard P-17, whatever that is.

Welllllllllllll.............  I called Bill, who is K'31s friend with the R&Ts. I had hoped to replace my '50s &'60s mags which formed part of my automotive youth. It would have been fun to refresh my memory. Yes, there was a reverence for old performance "sports cars".'I remember stuff like K3 MG, Jag SS100, 1750 Alfa, 35 and 51 Bugattis, and the like. The then current exotic wheels are now such desirable relics, that they are more out of reach than when new. And I remember each month featured a real, authentic masterpiece, a car from the Classic period of automobile evolution. From the last Duesenberg built, to a beautiful Du Pont, to Turk Murphys Rolls Royce, and so on. 

Turns out, Bill's mags start at about 1964, so will have little overlap with my origins. They are shuffled, and in no order. Bill is moving, and must be rolling out July 26th. It would be a bit of a hassle for him, and K'31 is pretty busy. If there is someone nearby, please go save these  R&Ts. They will end up as recycling if no one goes for them.

Any of you old fossils remember the brand spanking new "Bug' in a box" for sale in the classifieds ? Yeah, I think it was a Type 35, crated, in Australia. What was it they wanted for it back then ?  $4000 was it ? But that was a chunk of change back in the '50s. What became of it ? What lucky mutt is driving it today ?   -   Carl 

• Like 1

My first exposure to foreign and sports cars was right at the end of the 1950's. The first and lasting impression was "spindly, fragile, suspension parts". Always the same path in the gray stuff.

Now I am thinking about how many times I have posted picture to the Forum of my cars on dirt roads or off road. Some things just never change.

Bernie

• Like 1