Summershandy

Air Cleaner oil reservoir question

I seem to be on here lots lately LOL but I'm not sure about something related to the air cleaner. It requires a certain level of oil at the bottom reservoir. The problem is the engine sits slanted from front to back. The carb is mounted right as well at the cleaner housing. The oil pools to the rear of the cleaner so in reality I can't achieve a level amount. Is this typical for these engines or is this something else like the motor mounts? I'm unsure how much to add or put any oil at all. I have read that another members engine actually ran differently without oil and better with. I do not drive in any dusty conditions. 

IMG_7893.JPG

The oil is there only to trap dust. Just fill as per the owners manual and it will work as intended.

• Like 1

when i had the straight eight in my 53 chieftain, i don't remember my heavy duty air cleaner at that much of a slant, you should fill the bottom until the oil level reaches the fill line at the highest point, your filter part should be dunked several times in a large bucket or tub of kerosene or gasoline and allowed to drain dry, as JFranklin says, the oil in the bottom is to trap dust from the incoming air being forced to turn 180 degrees. 

4 minutes ago, pontiac1953 said:

you should fill the bottom until the oil level reaches the fill line at the highest point

That's what I've been running. I'm sure it must move around down there while stopping and turning. I thought John Hess said his engine had a downward slant. He's not on the road yet and I don't know if he's placed oil in his yet. 

i would advise you to inspect your left and right rear motor mounts for possible sagging or breaking down.

Hi Mark... Charles ,and all... Your oil bath air cleaner should have a 'fill to this level' or something like that stamped inside. The fact that it is not level should not be a problem. When the engine is running the oil will be swirling around inside anyway like it's supposed to. You will have the air cleaner off to clean it as Charles stated. Wash in kerosene and drain. Refill bottom with oil to 'fill' line, install filter in bottom half, install air cleaner on engine/carburetor, bolt down, drive and enjoy !!!!.     The engine thrust line ( through crankshaft to transmission to driveshaft to rear differential pinion) is canted slightly downward giving you that illusion that your engine is sagging. Hope this makes some sense.!        John

• Like 1