1939 Buick Exhaust Manifold Gap

JRHaelig

I've been messing with old cars long enough to knowthat things are rarely as bad as they seem.   They're usually worse.

On my 1939 Buick straight 8 I've had an exhaust leak at the last cylinder since I got the car started.  Not the end of the world, but I figured let's put a new gasket in and fix it.

Well, my old pal "root cause" showed up.  Some how the back end of the manifold is way off - like a pregnant 1/16".  Little wonder that the gasket gave up.

That last manifold bolt hole had wallowed out, so I re-tapped it at 7/16ths, and now I see this!

So - can the manifold set be dressed enough to fix this or do I just put it back together and wait for the new copper gasket to blow out?

buick manifold gap.jpg

Remflex gaskets. I use them on all my cars. Thicker than standard gaskets and mostly blow-proof, depending on the gap. I would try having the manifold machined (in conjunction with the intake so the surfaces are all even) but I don't know if they can fix all of that. It can't hurt.

http://catalog.remflex.com/BUICK_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/13-007.htm

3-16-19no6.thumb.jpg.4a07d92942b9ef350789895f085ec75b.jpg

JR' initiated this topic way down yonder in Buick - Pre War - Technical. Much more exposure here. BUT : please check there for a possible quick, cheap, and easy fix we have bounced around. Someone will know how to direct link to the topic, and most likely someone can give  a firsthand answer to our speculation.   -   CC