Classic Car / Burma Shave quilt

Okay, I just stumbled onto this forum but thought someone here might be able to help me. I'm entering a quilt contest for American Quilt Society next year and the theme of the quilt is Burma Shave. I would like to make it looking out from the dashboard of a classic car and driving along a road with burma shave signs. Anyway what I need is a good picture of a dashboard of a car from the 50 - 60's looking out the windshield. Does anyone know of a source. I want to make this as realistic as possible and hopefully win a ribbon with it. Thanks in advance,

Linda L.

I have a couple looking out of a 57 T-Bird interior - if you either register on the forum with your e-mail ID or post it I will send a copy to you

I will have to check a book I have at home to make sure, but I believe that Burma Shave signs were discontinued by about 1960. You might want a dash picture of a 1930s through 1950s car to be a little more period authentic.

I will let Pete Hartman tell you the meaning of the word "classic". smile.gif

Okay, I registered and would love for you to send them to my e-mail. Wow this was fast. Does this forum allow pictures. If so, I'll be sure to post it when I'm finished in about 6 months.

Thanks,

Linda

My understanding is that a picture can be posted in this forum if it is from a web site - if I'm wrong - someone that knows another way can enlighten both of us.I will e-mail you what I have - hope they will help!

Also - I remember Burma Shave signs and a 57 dash or before would be about right. Don't remember them into the 60s.

Linda

Just went to get your address and can't see it ....

Please go into the "My Home" section at the top of the page which will show your profile Click on Personal Info and put your e-mail ID into the box that says "e-mail shown in post" Unless you do that - I can't see yoiur address.

Let me know if you need any more help. laugh.gif

ooo.gif Okay, from some of my research for this project I have discovered that not all older cars are considered "classics". Please accept my apologies LOL!

There was a book about the Burma Shave signs and I have a copy that I cannot locate. Not being able to give specifics from the book, I will agree with previous post that you should focus on the '40s - '50s vintage cars. I am almost positive that the signs started disappearing by the early '60s, Keep us posted on your design. I also agree that this might make a good magazine article and as a contributing staff member of the "Antique Automobile" (AACA magazine) would like to discuss this with you more.

Hi Linda:

There is a nostalgia store in Williams, Arizona, that carries a book FULL of Burma Shave signs. I wish I'd bought it - it wasn't all that expenisve. Some of those signs were pretty damn funny !

I do not recall their exact name, but it has SOMETHING to do with "Route 66". If you called the Williams, Arizona Chamber Of Commerce, I bet they could get you the correct name and phone number.

DONT feel bad about using ( or MIS using ) the word "classic". Those of us who are serious auto buffs most certainly WILL bite the head off of someone who deliberately mis-uses the term for personal gain or agrandizement, but I think you will find most all car buffs will jump at the chance to help someone with a serious interest in learning how important the evolution of the automobile, its associated technoogy, and culture influence were.

Let me agree with some of the "posters" above - I think you would be more accurate historically, if you showed your drawing in the context of a EARLY 1940's car or EARLIER. I do not remember now ( I bet that book I saw in the "Route 66" store in Williams could tell you ) exactly when Burma Shave stoppd maintaining those cute sign/ryhmes. But I can tell you from personal experience they were pretty well gone by the 1940's.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out for you.

Oh, about car dash boards. Is there a Barnes And Noble book-store near you ? They have a pretty good automobile section - I was just in our store here in Prescott, Arizona - and saw several books that have pictures perfect for your needs !

Pete Hartmann

Big Springs, AZ

I found my copy of <span style="font-style: italic">The Verse by the Side of the Road</span> by Frank Rowsome, Jr. According to it the first Burma-Shave signs went up in Minnesota in the fall of 1925. The last year signs were used was 1965. It is possible that some signs were missed when they removed them.

The book also notes that signs were never used in some states because low population density. Specifically, Burma-Shave signs were never installed in Arizona. So that Burma-Shave book Pete saw in a store in Williams, Arizona is a bit of an anachronism. Oh well, the tourist trade has never really worried about historical accuracy. smile.gif

Linda, Before you do any needle work you must check out the dash of a 39 Lincoln Zephyr.I will send you one,they dont get any better.As to Burma shave signs,we went across the country every summer as a kid and it was always a treat to see them.That was in the early to mid sixtys.diz tongue.giftongue.gif

Thank you all so much. Yes the 40's car sounds like it would be good. I did plan on visiting Barnes and Noble this weekend and I do think they will have what I'm looking for. If you do have a picture of the a 39 Lincoln Zephyr that would be perfect. Do most of these cars have hood ornaments? I wanted to include that if possible. This quilt has to have a theme fabric which looks like a Rt. 66 map. This fabric has to be somewhere on the quilt. I was thinking of just having it look like it was a map hanging out of a glove compartment. I assume these cars did have glove compartments back then . . . but I don't want to "assume" anything LOL. Thanks again and I'll let you all know what I decide.

Hi again, Linda...

If you are interested in historical 'trivia', here's something that will annoy the hell out of the "politically correct" types......

The term "Route 66" came about as a result of a silly song of the 1940's.."GETTING YOUR KICKS ON ROUTE 66". The writers pickd the name "Route 66" to avoid any possible litigation out of the use of the name of a REAL highway, so they made up that "fake" name. Yup....that's the FACT....there is no...and was no "Route 66". It is just a silly practical joke name.

In the REAL world, here's what happened. When the old "Lincoln Highway" system blossomed into a program to create a federal highway program (mid 1920's), there was an association created to make sure there would be uniformity and stadardization, and no confuson of what road was what.

That group was called the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF STATE HIGHWAY OFFICIALS. At their convention in Detroit, in Nov. 1925, they developed a termionology and a specifications manual, which was included in ALL member state's vehicle codes.

By the above "compact" STATE highways would be called STATE SIGN ROUTES, with each state having its own numbering system and highway sign shields, that BY LAW COULD NOT CONFLICT WITH THE NEW "U.S. HIGHWAY" system.

There was a "standard" as to the U.S. HIGHWAY shield/sign marker, which, of course, since there were no "routes" in the U.S. HIGHWAY system, did not use the term "route". Only STATE highways were "routes".

Of course today, in curio shops...you see the old federal shield, with the word "route" on it. And of course that is nonsence..the REAL shields, back in the REAL world, contained the U.S. numeral...topped by the name of the STATE in which the highway was.

Few "historical truths" will enrage the modern "politically correct" types more, than to tell them there never was a "route 66".....!

Pete Hartmann

ha ha...my car ( Packard Twelve) has TWO glove compartments...one on each side of the car....take THAT...you poor demented "lesser" souls who have only ONE glove comparment.....let's see you sleep at night...get thru the day...now.......knowing THAT horrid "politically incorrect" fact.... How are you EVER going to face your friends NOW !

Pete Hartmann

Pete,

You certainly are not making a very good impression to a new person on this form. Enough is enough. Stay in the CCCA form and belittle others.

Linda,

Good luck with the project as it sounds like you really have put a lot of thought and effort into it. Be sure to post a picture when complete. How long does it take to make a quilt as this one you are planning sounds very complex?

Don't let the one bad apple (trying to be kind) discourage you from using this form as it is fun and entertaining and we all learn a lot. When you are done with the quilt I would be willing to buy it. And Pete I also would be willing to tie your hands up with it to keep you from any future posting!

You all are a hoot!!! Pete was not serious was he? This is going to be a very complex project and could take up to 6 months to complete. I will most definately post a picture of it when completed. I do plan on entering it in some quilt shows around the country if it comes out good so I'm not sure about selling it. Now I've got more decisions to make as to what car to actually use and what to put above the 66 LOL!! I'm off to Barnes and Nobles this evening and I'll probably have more questions the more I get involved with this. Thanks for all the pictures and help so far!!

It looks like lalawson has fallen into the same trap that many of us have. She isn't trying to hide but she just came on "anonymous" no doubt as the result of forgetting to fill in the Username block. It is obvious that it is lalawson by the content of the post from this very nice person.

This merely goes to show that many people who get blasted for coming on "anonymous" are really victims of a procedure requiring more attention to detail than some of us are willing to give. The old system forced us to use some kind of a username and would not let us in until we did. Can't we possibly have that back.

Please do not consign this to Rants & Raves as this is neither a rant nor a rave. Just an honest bit of criticism and a reasonable question.

Albert

ooops. gotta go back up and fill in that username section.

Hi Bruce....gawd..I HOPE it is "politically incorrect" to have TWO glove boxes....don't know how I will survive if someone comes along with a car that has THREE glove boxes....that would mean someone has something BETTER than mine..I just dont know if I could handle that......!

For Bob Green:

Listen..buddy...when the feminist political correct types finally take over, and turn this wonderful country into a dictatorship, they will most likely FIRST come after guys like me....but....you won't do much better...YOU will be next. I suggest you support MY right to "mouth off" as fiercly as I support YOURS. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for suggesting censorhip. That is NOT the American way.

For BoB Fitch:

Yes....you must be right...I do not recall seeing those cute Burma Shave signs west of the Texas-New Mexico border.

I did NOT know they were posting new ones clear into the 1960's. My recollection is that in our many cross-country car trips, even in the 1940's,. they were getting pretty hard to find, and those that hadn't been stolen for someone's den, were getting pretty run down.

For some reason, my memory tells me the most prominent area for them, was along U.S. Highway 66 in and on both sides of the state of Missouri. They were such fun.

Incidentally, that shop I recommended (again, has SOMETHING to do with "Route 66"; Williams, Arizona Chamber of Commerce should be able to give you the correct name and phone number) for those of you interested in "66" stuff...they have books from all over...most, of course, are written by and for car buffs and/or "66" buffs - why you would think they would be limited to Arizona lore, I can't imagine.

Incidentally, we in Arizona have the LONGEST stretch of U.S. Highway 66 still open to thru traffic. Crossing the California border headed east, you can take "old 66" up thru Goldroad/Oatman over the famous SitGreaves Pass, a famous "car killer" until the highway was re-routed just befoer World War Two.

That will take you into Kingman - from there, U.S. Highway 66...now a STATE SIGN ROUTE.....! goes to Seligman, and east ALMOST to Ash Fork. While you wont see any Burma Shave signs ( wouldn't it be fun to put some up....? ) it does make a grand drive...especially with an old car.

Pete Hartmann

Big Springs, Arizona

Guest Indiana_Truck

Not that this will help but I have some Burma Shave signs that I found on the family farm. I also found 2 cans of the stuff in the pantry and since my Great Grandfather lived in the old farm house and died in 1957, I would guess the cans are from about that time. I am too young to remember the signs but I have seen some that may have been hand painted by someone and put up along the road here in Indiana back in the late 60's or early 70's. I would like to know when they first made the signs and when they last made the shave cream. I would post a picture of the 2 cans here but I don't know how to put a picture on this site.

As I noted above, the big chain book-seller BARNES AND NOBLE stores seem to have a pretty good automotive section. Even an out of the way store such as ours here in nearby Prescott, Arizona, had a fantastic collection of books on automotive nostalgia-related items. I saw several books about the so called "Route 66". "Burma Shave" was quite a phenomena to the highway traveller, even as late as my first recollections of cross-country trips as a child during World War II. Lots of mentions of it in "Route 66" related books. I recall seeing at least one, devoted to Burma Shave signs.

Take a look in a well-equipped book-store, and let us know if you find the answer to your questions. Good luck !

Pete Hartmann

Big Springs, AZ

Thanks...'58 Rebel...but that book is aimed at teen-agers...given my arrested level of mental development...it would be WAY too advanced for me.....!

Incidentally...so far...only ONE guy has had the courage to answer my question ...which was something to the effect of "in what way did I mis-lead or mis-represent any auto-related issue".

Again, I really and truly believe in this marvelous new form of communication; that it CAN be a tremendous value in learning about, exchanging info. about auto related matters. And it works best if we are all free to subject whatever we read, to the "crucible of questioning".

C'mon....do you have the GUTS to admit ( or dis-agree...with examples ..) what the other "chatter" admitted...that he has no quarrel with the info. I have provided...? Do you have the GUTS to admit you are wasting everyone's time on personal issues...?

Let's get off the personality stuff...and devote our energies to examining AUTO RELATED issues.

Pete Hartmann