Sign in to follow this  
Lebowski

How difficult is it to remove a continental kit?

Would you call this a continental kit on this '48 Lincoln since it looks like it's part of the car and not added on? This doesn't look bad compared to the one on the Ford at the beginning of this post IMHO.... 

01111_aDbwl66cU1R_1200x900.jpg

Since “Continental kit” was so named because it first appeared on Lincoln Continentals I would say that the kit is appropriate for the car. It looks good because the designer designed the car to accommodate the spare on the back. Zeke

you know the old saying about opinions mine included on that one.good possibility that started it off thanks to Edsel.picture I include shows my state of mind😁

PB170006 - Copy.JPG

7 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Would you call this a continental kit on this '48 Lincoln since it looks like it's part of the car and not added on? This doesn't look bad compared to the one on the Ford at the beginning of this post IMHO.... 

01111_aDbwl66cU1R_1200x900.jpg

Many moons ago , and far to the Northeast when living in NJ,

I did something similar to my 1954 Mercury convertible,

extending the fenders 20 inches by grafting in a section from another Merc's quarterpanels, and keeping the original ends and taillights, as well as the original bumper. A sheetmetal and fibreglass gravel shield panel filled the gap around my home-designed "Continental", more similar to the original design above, than the kits then on the market. Of course I had to have the springs re-arched, because the style back then was to lower the car's rear, but not to have it bottom-out.

Wish I had kept photos of my work ,

and the completed project.

I drove it the Summer of 1961 while my band played at a Catskill Mountains resort hotel,

and regrettably sold it when I left for my Sophomore year at University of Kentucky - Lexington.

Looking back, there are times I regreet what I did to a beautiful car, but at the time .....

6 hours ago, 54vicky said:

you know the old saying about opinions mine included on that one.good possibility that started it off thanks to Edsel.picture I include shows my state of mind😁

PB170006 - Copy.JPG

Some of these quotes are nearly 50 years old and lost in the warm waters of obscurity that overtakes them... but in the minds of a few.

image.png.7ecc0af4a49d0c93cb8f4e779bf3c8f4.png

2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

and regrettably sold it when I left for my Sophomore year at University of Kentucky 

You went to UK? That's cool. Was Bear Bryant the football coach then? 

And how's the weather down in New Orleans this week? Getting much rain? :o

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

You went to UK? That's cool. Was Bear Bryant the football coach then? 

And how's the weather down in New Orleans this week? Getting much rain? :o

Bryant was at Univ of Kentucky from 1946 - 1953  --

Way before my time there - early 1960s.

While some areas of Louisiana got a deluge over the past few days, we dodged a bullet here in the greater New Orleans area. Our wind was fairly strong at about 35 - 50 mph since Friday, but we only had minimal rainfall - thanks for asking

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Bryant was at Univ of Kentucky from 1946 - 1953  --

Way before my time there - early 1960s.

While some areas of Louisiana got a deluge over the past few days, we dodged a bullet here in the greater New Orleans area. Our wind was fairly strong at about 35 - 50 mph since Friday, but we only had minimal rainfall - thanks for asking

I moved here from San Diego in 1998 so I wasn't exactly sure when BB was here but I knew it was a long time ago..... 

We've had half an inch of rain here in the last two weeks so they're saying we may get an inch or two from what's left of Barry on Tuesday or Wednesday so we're hoping that happens....