1941 Cent transmission

20190709_212809.thumb.jpg.4275576479ed11fad7985b923f7c3599.jpgMy transmission is leaking out around the smaller shift shaft at the bottom of trans. The seal is inside. Ouch! So, rather than disassembling, resealing and reinstalling, I decided Ill redo a spare so I can R & R without having it unmoveable under its own power for as long. I found an NOS cork seal in original package(see photo), but worry its too brittle to risk using. O'Reilly couldnt help, so I decided to take Momma 2 the new local wine bar. What should I discover? A pile of wine bottle corks by the front door! Owner graciously gifted me one and hope springs anew!(see photo). Id prefer something rubber or rubberized cork, but nice to have plan B raw material to attempt fabrication! Ace hardware tomorrow AM with fingers crossed, then on to RED GREEN land of fabrication if that doesnt pan out. No, Bobs sells just the flat "Best" brand kits. Seen any complete kits with seals and all? Im really not into self torture! HELLLP! THANKS! PS; McMaster-carr neither too!20190709_130427.thumb.jpg.cdb4f9aff30da5ba9df9725c42f8c8bd.jpg20190709_192954.thumb.jpg.3daed4cd4369382e9854580894c6556e.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 2carb40 said:

The seal is inside.

MoToR's typical cross section 1939-36 60, 70, 80, 90 transmission shows no seal on the countershaft, which is the one at the bottom, so I am puzzled. If the hole is bigger than the shaft, it will leak of course. I have put a groove in shafts like that and put an O-ring in it to stop leakage.

Thank U so much for responding, I really appreciate the effort! The seal is on the small shift shaft not a countershaft, as shown in the photo the packaging is factory Buick with nos cork seals inside. The shaft has almost vertical orientation thru a hole in the bottom of case. I guess thats a fairly likely place for gravity to work on a fluid if the seal is bad and or metal parts are worn, in this case a hard shaft in a cast iron hole rotating on a regular basis. Sure wish there were more folks actually familiar with this trans in particular who would respond. He said, HOPEFULLY!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

20190711_062756.thumb.jpg.54980953e0332cb8fe6ad53fa0299561.jpg20160806_083819_001.thumb.jpg.13d66930e992ee6eb90d20f76a955ceb.jpgThanx 4 posting again! I finally took a look in a great book I bought years ago and someone who had done this overhaul printed these details, as you suggested they used o-rings in place of the fragile cork ring I found. Would still like to find the more complete gasket/seal rebuild kits Ive seen advertised in the past for the large series trans. Maybe I can contact Northwest and see if they offer those kits.  Thanx again to the WEST MICHIGAN chapter that offers this book in the Bugle monthly. 20 bucks is a small price to litrally have a str8 mechanic in a book helping out! Highly recommended! Now on to putting a large series trans to rights to swap out the leaker.