1921 21-44 Buick Roadster Rim Nut Question

JBuick

JBuick,

You asked about the rim nut style - the original wheel rim nuts were a 7/16" x 20 TPI, Heavy Hex Machine Nut.  What I am seeing in your photo looks to be a regular Hex Nut.  On all of my Buicks the wheel nuts are fine thread like they are supposed to be.

The rim wedge like is shown in your photo were cast steel.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi Terry, Really appreciate the info. Wondering if you might also happen to know what the color combination for all the pictured components (wheel nut, clamp, rim) as well as the center hub, was for the original “straw” color paint scheme? Or where I might be able to find that info? There are too many variations pictured on the Internet for me to be able to pin it down. Thanks again!

JBuick,

Would it be possible for you to post a photo or two of your complete car?  We are all interested in seeing your Buick.  Back in the day when these cars were new it has been said that the rims were zinc plated.  I am not real sure when Cadmium plating came into common use.  You are correct when you say that there are a lot of variations.  It was common for a dealer to stripe the wheels and add pin striping to the bodies.  Could you tell us where you are located and if you have had the car for a while.  Photos really do help - we like a lot of photos here.  Welcome to the world of early Buicks.  There are some very helpful folks on here located all over the world.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Hi Terry,

Sorry, I should have reposted the pic of the car from my first post on the site. All good info! I have only had it for about 4 months. I am located  in Carmel CA. I also just got some new 10ply tires for trailer and I’m not afraid to use it! Car has been a blast! Just got trans and clutch all tuned up. If you look closely,  you can see the rear trans bearing was cracked. Next are the brakes. Thanks again. Meanwhile...(please see my next post.)

4202E2D7-4597-4A41-83DA-ADDA5C193CF1.jpeg

3DE6C1E9-DC84-4558-AC27-C7DCA00C0888.jpeg

078AA444-2695-4A5B-89F8-FF5630905473.jpeg

72766CA2-66F0-495A-940E-2E4CC3BFD84B.jpeg

• Like 1

Please don’t hate me because I’m Buickful, but here’s my other 21. It was too sweet to pass up. Had a great time driving through upstate New York to close the deal. 1980’s restoration in great condition.  Giddily awaiting its arrival!

57390E59-49B4-49A8-8C64-33225F35EDC5.jpeg

0BC88FF7-C116-4552-ABAD-C2B7CD7C0FA8.jpeg

28FA605E-1980-475F-A59A-12122E98062C.jpeg

E0BECF78-EB5D-4536-8E7A-AC097260AAE1.jpeg

C7E00CEC-47A4-4F40-840E-CC44ED6F90C7.jpeg

2FA2217B-5D37-4E36-83CD-BEC0ABB434C3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JBuick,   You have some very nice Buicks.  

Regarding wheels, Here is a photo of an original 1925 Buick wheel.  

Nuts are Heavy Hex fine thread.  Still available.  They take a 3/4" socket.  Originally they would have been black oxide.

Wheel Wedges were black oxide.

Rims were zinc or cadmium plated.  

center of the hubcap was body color.  

wheel pinstripe is as shown.  

Black oxide is not a very durable finish.  I had my lug nuts and wedges powder coated "black satin".  I use a plastic insert in the next size up socket to protect the finish.  Mac's Ford carries the plastic socket protectors.  zinc or cadmium plating is also not real durable long term.  It has a tendency to get splotchy over time and is difficult to get the even shine back.  Most people paint their rims Silver if they are looking for the original look.     Hugh

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/lug-nut-protectors-nylon-two-sizes-365045.html

1956237253_1925master9000mileswheel.jpg.eb99494ec71df9fe6b5002a92a5f590d.jpg

• Like 2

JBuick,

You have two fantastic cars here.  It looks like all that you need to do with them is get them out and drive them.  I really like the top on the Roadster.  Whoever put the top on it did an excellent job.  It looks absolutely perfect.  Same thing for the Touring top.  I have looked at some of these cars where the tops weren't just right and it really changes the 'look' of the automobile.  You have two that are just right in my humble opinion.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

JBuick,

Absolutely beautiful looking cars. Love the touring car. Any chance you could send me or post two or three close up pictures of the horn button and spark lever from couple different angles? I have 1922 4cyl model 35 touring and as you can see from this picture no horn button. I am working on couple ideas to replace the horn switch with modern water proof switch but will need to fabricate a button that at least looks close to what it should be.

0FEB54B8-B4CF-430D-9D39-00CB90C2324E.jpeg

Hi Brian,

I have read lots of your posts on this site. Very informative. You have a good sense of humor. I have had good 

luck with silver paint for similar applications as well. I do like the nickel plating idea as my 21 roadster will be a daily driver. Car will spend a decent amount of time by the ocean as well. At the moment the roadster probably needs to have the engine rebuilt. Loud knock on cold start up. I’ve owned it for about 4 months. I got away with some instant enjoyment. Now time to be realistic. 

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Best, Happy Buicking! 

J

• Like 2