The only smell at Hershey this year will be chocolate!

Steve Moskowitz

So the smells of the sewer plant have caused a lot of unhappiness for people over the years.  As one who drives the route about two times a day I can tell you it could be overpowering.  Recently a new multimillion dollar plant was built with "zero emissions."  It has been up and running for a couple of months and not a whiff of that foul aroma.  I just took a picture today as I came from the area to show that they not only have closed the old plant but our tearing it down!  Now if the local farmer does not fertilize his fields we will be all good for the fall meet!!

2019-07-09 11.09.38.jpg

• Like 4

What are you doing to Hershey?  No Mud,  no Bad odors.  Our kids won't have any good stories to tell their kids.  Where was the No Ve-Hi-cu-lar traffic in the swap meet area announcement last year?  I think i heard it only once or twice as opposed to the old sveeral times an hour.  Not that I minded it,  just wondering what happened to it.  Seems people didn't listen anyway but atleast you could say they were warned. ;) 

Look forward to Hershey but I don't want to rush the summer away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Steve for posting this, I agree with Auburnseeker I don't want to rush the summer away either, but so far this year at least on long island has been rain, humidity and now heat/humidity.

Better then ice and snow - I guess. Re the announcements - most people listen, but there is one car dealer who likes to just drive around the Red Field north at will in a pre war car, guess he thinks it is allowed and is good PR for him.

Wonder what the progress on the Red Field south is , will it be back as an area for flea market spaces by October?

I am always so grateful for the amazing job and time that is put in for the flea market by the Hershey Region members and the people from AACA HQ. We all wouldn't have the memories that we do of the great times over the years if it wasn't for them .  This will be Hershey # 54 in a row for me. #25 for my son - the memories the both of us have is just priceless, not just of the flea market and seeing friends from the USA and Europe but of the time we spend together.

Walt G.

Walt thanks for the loyalty...it is the people as much as the parts that keep bringing us all back each year.  Red Field South will definitely NOT be available to us this year.  The massive $150,000,000 renovation project will be still well in progress.  A minor disruption compared to the great experience guests will have in the future.  The better HE&R does the better it is for us.  They have been a great supporter of AACA.

As for the mud and odors, they are funny to talk about but NOT enjoyable at the time.  The odors actually got people sick some years.  There were days I traveled the road we affectionately called "stinkpot road" and my eyes would water from the smell and ammonia fumes. It still is Hershey, there are always great stories and we all have a treasure of memories about being at the greatest show on earth!

• Like 2

Thanks Steve, I thought I saw that somewhere. So basically this year we have  like a thousand less vendors? Or did you find new spots for the  guys in Red South thats been coming for years and years? hopefully you got rid of the parkers so we have more sellers lol

Again Thanks for the reply.

Will be Hershey # 52 for me. #37 for my Son who is 36.  He was a vendor at age 7 1/2 weeks and has never missed a Hershey.  The more Hershey changes the more it stays the same.  Every year there is an unanticipated highlight.  Last year it was Jay Leno stopping by our spaces and talking speedsters for a short time until he was swamped with people wanting selfies. We have shown a different car each of the last 3 years.  Each received its First Junior and 2 were nominated for National Awards.  Not sure if we'll have a car to show this year or not.  Car will be done but it depends on whether the owner wants to ship the car home to France right away or can wait until after Hershey.

• Like 3

Hershey #30 for me.  I saw something earlier this spring about the Tuesday of Hershey week.  In the past it has been listed as a vendor set-up day, but I seen to recall seeing something about being a regular day for spectators, too.  HERCO started charging for parking a year or two ago.  I try to get a program on Tuesday to plan my vendor visits, especially since Red Field South is closed and vendors moved.  

What is the official status of Tuesday besides the Library book sale?

This will be Hershey #38 in the same spaces under lamppost #58 in the Chocolate Field for me - ever since the Chocolate Field was first opened.

The best part is the continued, new, and renewed friendships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:39 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Good point Marty, Every lamp post has a number, make a note of the one near a spot you plan to return to, better yet just buy the part and save the walk back. Bob 

We "bunk" stuff every year for people passing by. We are located in the Red Field North near the parking lot entrance/exit, we have some people who a regulars dropping stuff off  for the day. Many times it is something we never sold them. They sort of become regulars