Posted (edited)

So whats the deal with Boat Tail side trim? 

Some have the metal swoop and some don't. Was this an option? And sometimes it seemed painted, black, or just metal. 

And of course the silver arrow had some more style added.

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 4.04.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 4.05.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 4.05.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 4.19.55 AM.png

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)

No factory molding in 71 but I've seen a few that looked dealer installed with screws. Standard on 72/73. Sheet metal had T-posts to mount it. Usually it was color coded to paint but not sure if a contrasting color could be ordered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

No factory molding in 71 but I've seen a few that looked dealer installed with screws. Standard on 72/73. Sheet metal had T-posts to mount it. Usually it was color coded to paint but not sure if a contrasting color could be ordered.

Oh, ok. So generally in 71 they didn't get it. Thanks for the intel.

That is not entirely true that the side molding was not available in 71. I had placed my order for my 71GS the last week of March. A few weeks later in April, the owner of the Buick dealer called me and asked me to stop in. He showed me a promotional picture from Buick that showed the side molding that had just became available. He asked me if wanted to see if they could add it to my 71. I said yes. A week later, the dealer called me and said that my car was in production and it was too late to add.

Another mid year change was the medium gold vinyl top that had become available in February 71, which mine has. Only 456 71 Riv's left the factory with the medium gold vinyl top. I do not know how many had the side molding.

Bob Bonto

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bob71GS said:

That is not entirely true that the side molding was not available in 71. I had placed my order for my 71GS the last week of March. A few weeks later in April, the owner of the Buick dealer called me and asked me to stop in. He showed me a promotional picture from Buick that showed the side molding that had just became available. He asked me if wanted to see if they could add it to my 71. I said yes. A week later, the dealer called me and said that my car was in production and it was too late to add.

Another mid year change was the medium gold vinyl top that had become available in February 71, which mine has. Only 456 71 Riv's left the factory with the medium gold vinyl top. I do not know how many had the side molding.

Bob Bonto

Thanks for the experience and info. Im still trying to decide if I like with or without side molding. My 71 does not have it, and of course I plan to keep it that way. Good to have more of a clue on this.

• Like 1