New to the game. 1961 Buick Special Wagon

Hello everyone, I’m Tony and I live in Olympia WA, About a month ago I finally obtained a wagon in my life, Grew up in California and always wanted one😎 I have not had any other classic cars ever, My time has come. This wagon supposedly has the original 31k miles and it’s really clean and pretty. I look forward to the endeavors ahead, I hope!

So first off, where is the best place to ask a question about my generator in this wagon.

thank you

Tony

1FAAE5DB-B864-48A9-A93C-DE7DC1491C8A.jpeg

96AAF7AB-080D-4163-B3A4-A0F0D927ED6B.jpeg

CDD160EB-EE4E-4E34-99F8-55FA134E3D10.jpeg

• Like 4

Drove out here last night to see the sunset. After stopping and starting the car started to screech, sounded like bad, then next start up squeezed and the gen light came on, I was glad to see the gen light because the noise was so out of place, car runs great. Any way I came home like this last night😂😂😂

7DDD8A0F-E940-4676-A409-15E490A1A7BC.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rollin-360 said:

Drove out here last night to see the sunset. After stopping and starting the car started to screech, sounded like bad, then next start up squeezed and the gen light came on, I was glad to see the gen light because the noise was so out of place, car runs great. Any way I came home like this last night😂😂😂

7DDD8A0F-E940-4676-A409-15E490A1A7BC.jpeg

THAT is an AWESOME CAR!!!!  I love it, even if it is on the back of a flatbed!!!  IT looks like a stick shift car?  Just great!  Where-ever did you find this one?

So the generator seized on it?  

3 hours ago, Rollin-360 said:

So first off, where is the best place to ask a question about my generator in this wagon.

Hopefully you'll start a thread in the "Me and My Buick " section of these forums.  Otherwise you could post your questions in the Post War Technical section. 

Post-war forum will get your question answered.  I have a 60 Buick with a generator and have experience with them. Get a shop manual as it will come in handy.

Most likely you will need to remove the belt(s) and see if it turns or still squeals.  You may just want to get it rebuilt so you don't have to pay for a tow again.

Love the car....Good find.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:28 PM, Rollin-360 said:

. . . I finally obtained a wagon in my life . . . always wanted one . . . 

Welcome aboard. Your wagon will definitely draw the crowds more-so than the two-door coupes or four-door sedans. :D

I saw your other Thread looking for wheel suggestions. Ran across this wagon with Michigan license plates a couple of weeks ago at the 2019 Minnesota Street Rod Association's BACK TO THE FIFTIES car show that drew an announced-11,345 registrations 1964 and older and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUSTANGS allowed.  What do you think?  

1-IMG_1215.thumb.jpg.afbcfee7a74e5aa2f187dc90aa7f4551.jpg

1-IMG_1218-001.thumb.jpg.0fb37128c71e95c478a5144a7cea2681.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a seized bearing inside the generator. Does it still turn? There are a couple of oiling cups, one on each end of the generator. Supposed to give them a couple drops of oil every time you do an oil change. The previous owner may not have been very diligent about that. Wonderful, rare little wagon.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Edited by Pete Phillips (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Longroof Club Tony! What a cool looking wagon you got there! Rebuilding a generator is pretty easy, and something you could probably tackle. Have fun with your wagon and set up a thread in Me and My Buick Section of the forum! Looking forward to hearing more on your new Buick!