1919 Maxwell Touring - CORRECT FINISHES

Roger Kramer

Just acquired a nice model  25 Touring. Very complete but completely apart. I need to find out what the proper finishes should be, and right now need to know finish on the "clincher" tire rims so I can mount the new tires only once. Of course I need to know the proper finish on the wheel hardware and all other hardware and fasteners.   (paint, zinc, cadmium, parkerizing, black oxide ???? )

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 1919 dealer manual with all of the specs for the touring car (and all of the other models they produced that year. If it's helpful, I can send you pictures of those pages.

Here's what it says about the body:

"The blue black finish is all paint and varnish - not baked enamel. We like to emphasize that point. The lustre has a depth and smoothness that can be acquired in no other way."

Here's what it says about the wheels:

"The more exposed sheet metal parts, such as the fenders, dust aprons and gas tank, are black enameled and the wheels are painted black, completing a harmonious color scheme that is very practical and durable without being somber."

Thanks, but I have that that and sales brochures also, but no mention of the details that I'm interested in. Need input from a restorer who is as persnickety as I am regarding some of these details. I cringe when I see early vehicles assembled using "hardware store" nuts and bolts in electroplate finish and grade markings on bolt heads.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo of a 1919 Maxwell taken about 1926 or 1927.  The little boy is my dad who was born in 1923.  The wheels are very dirty, but you may be able to find some details you need.  Also, I don't see any difference between the body color and the fenders, so I can't suggest what color blue black would be other than a very dark, almost black blue.  I have a 1921, so I'm also interested in what you find.

page 8d hazel liston car.jpg

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1