1937 - Safety Glass

Had an interesting question pop up, to my knowledge plastic sandwiched between two pieces of glass was not used until late 50's and up...but I had a person tell me that their "all original" 1937 Caddy came with safety glass all the way around except for the rear window....Does anyone know if Dodge did this?

Safety glass is different to laminated glass

safety glass in the early days was glass that shattered (crazed) into tiny bits rather than large shards like ordinary glass but usually held together unless a hole was punched through it however very difficult to see out of a shattered windscreen.

This style of windscreen had no torsional strength so a twisting chassis / body could easily break it.

Laminated glass is as you say two layers of glass sandwiching a plastic film.

Did Dodge Brothers have safety glass? Not sure.

• Like 1

My 1936 Pontiac has it in all windows (the laminated stuff with the clear goo in-between 2 layers). Maybe it wasn't standard equipment on all cars yet in 36, but was available.

I would expect tempered glass instead of laminated glass in the side windows of a 50's car. The windshield would still be laminated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keiser31 said:

My 1931 DBs had the option of safety glass.

Interesting, wonder just how far back manufactures went with this feature. Was thinking that the top of the line models (Caddy, Cord, Packard) would have, but the more affordable units would not.

Edited by Surf City '38 (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Minibago said:

Safety glass is different to laminated glass

safety glass in the early days was glass that shattered (crazed) into tiny bits rather than large shards like ordinary glass but usually held together unless a hole was punched through it however very difficult to see out of a shattered windscreen.

This style of windscreen had no torsional strength so a twisting chassis / body could easily break it.

Laminated glass is as you say two layers of glass sandwiching a plastic film.

Did Dodge Brothers have safety glass? Not sure.

Thanks for the clarification, Laminated glass it is.

46 minutes ago, Pete in PA said:

My 36 D2 definitely has the laminated safety glass.  I could read the etching on the rear glass very clearly when I was standing behind the car yesterday.

Thanks Pete, when you say etching, do you mean the manufactures mark?