Saw this Riviera yesterday....

keiser31

Went to give the local kids a boost yesterday by going around the block from my home and had the kids wash my wife's car. The money was for a good purpose, so I let them have at it. While there, this Riviera was parked nearby to attract attention to the car wash....1925745664_Picture30125.thumb.jpg.8bdb2065fad72965a76a394a29608850.jpg

Picture 30123.jpg

Picture 30124.jpg

Picture 30126.jpg

Picture 30127.jpg

Picture 30128.jpg

Picture 30129.jpg

• Like 2

I always liked Rivieras (really wanted a '65  dual quad when they got the headlamps where they should have been all along)  think the '73 was the best of the boattails.

• Like 1

Probably my favorite car of the modern era. I once owned a 73, and I loved that car. Took a trip to Wyoming, and drove 55 mph to conserve fuel. She got 14.8 mpg. On the return trip, I kicked her up to 85 mph and set the cruise. Lots of open road in Wyoming. Gas mileage at 85 mph ? 14.8 mpg. That big ol 455 was still loafing !  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whenever I go to one of those fund raising car washes I am sure to come straight home and wash it correctly.

ONE TIME, I got to talking to the advisor and he was like a drill sergeant at his fund raiser car wash, the only time that it got done passable.

38 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Whenever I go to one of those fund raising car washes I am sure to come straight home and wash it correctly.

ONE TIME, I got to talking to the advisor and he was like a drill sergeant at his fund raiser car wash, the only time that it got done passable.

Haha....I did actually have to go back around the corner to have them wash off the driver's side rear panel behind the rear wheel.

10 hours ago, padgett said:

"Think" that is a 71, didn't the 72 have a grille with little squares, and fer sure not a '73. Always thought the '70 was kinda hideous.

71s had the plate off to the side and not the middle. IMO the best year of the boat-tail...

48 minutes ago, 72caddy said:

71s had the plate off to the side and not the middle. IMO the best year of the boat-tail...

1972 Rivieras had the same off-center rear license plate.

For 1973, the point of the boat-tail was softened,

and the license plate was centered.

71's had the louvered trunk lid. 72's didn't.  Although the two lids could be swapped if need be.  

As for car washes, if I drive past one I try to make a donation without the wash. I figure if young people are willing to do the work then they should be supported, but my cars already have enough damage.😊

1 minute ago, JACK M said:

Sand could be worse.

However, The kids are at least making an effort.

Its usually for a trip or maybe sports equipment.

When these young people come to my door selling magazines, boxes of fruit, greeting cards, etc., I always buy something to support them. Car washes, no. They are too busy talking with their friends to do it right. No kidding, I have come home with mud smeared all over my car . But I am sure they are not all that way. They just need better supervision. I know, I used to be one of them.  🤪

On 7/7/2019 at 5:49 PM, padgett said:

I always liked Rivieras (really wanted a '65  dual quad when they got the headlamps where they should have been all along)  think the '73 was the best of the boattails.

I agree, The 65's were more like the prototype and better looking than the first production model .

I think it's the rear bumper that makes the difference on the 73 that makes it better looking than the 71-72.

Who wouldn't want a full size Stingray? 

Do think in the bad old daze Buicks were thought more for the elderly and doctors. Being eccentric I enjoyed beating Z-28s in autocrosses with my 70 GS (four speed, posi, "non-stock" wheels and tires plus "special" ADDCO rear bar (local to me)  helped). OTOH have always felt the Centurian (particularly the 'vert) was a clean design that has never really been appreciated.

One ad/disadvantage I have is being deep into the industry in the early '70s at GM and being able to tap into the brilliant engineering minds there at the time. Does tend to make me less-than-reverent about some things.