Sign in to follow this  
StylishOne

1993 Allante how expensive to keep? Reliable? Northstar?

I'm trying to figure if it's worth buying one. Some tell me it's a great car n motor .others tell me: money pit, terrible top, motor a fortune  to keep,  computer an issue, unreliable..

Owners honest views???

I am a owner of a 1993 that I bought from the original family that ordered it new. It has 27,000 mile on a garage kept California car. I think The Allante is a neat car to own.  Some would say it is what brought Cadillac into the next century, others would say that it was one of the biggest money Pits that GM got into.  The truth is somewhere in the middle.  Personally I like the fact that they made about as many Allantes from 1986 to 1993 as Packard made V-12 a , round number slightly over 20,000 more or less. These cars were also in the $50 to &60 K price range when new. I would say that good advice is to spend  more and buy the absolute best example you can find ,of course when I am asked that is the advice I give to anyone who is interested in buying vintage cars ( ask me how I learned) .  Please PM me if you are looking at buying one, 

I owned a 1992 Allante.  There is nothing wrong with the conv top; except that it is manually operated!

Any/all purported problems with the '93 North* engine have been resolved by 2019.

I found the biggest problem to be the cheap, plastic interior hardware/fittings  If the sound system is not working at present it could be expensive to repair.  Never had any computer problems.

The cars are going for bargain prices, but beware one gets what the pay for so, going cheap is usually -NOT- a good deal in the long run!