Enhanced performance

confused.gifconfused.gif Im looking for some ideas to boost the performance of my Reatta. The target range is (0-100mph). I have put in a cold air filter system in. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I have a 1990 with 33,000 miles on it. My girlfriend has a 1999 Acura 3.0CL that blows my doors off at all speeds. Seems to me a 3.8 should be able to be enhanced by a chip or something to change this. Or am I just crazy. pat_4462@msn.com By the way the space between the t and 4 in my email address is an _.

As I see this was your first post, let me first say "welcome to this fine forum". You'll find many interesting, informative, and sometimes whimsical posts here. Also be sure to stop by www.reatta.net if you haven't already.

Take a few moments to try out this forum's Search function. It works well. If you search the last 6 months for Performance, you'll get alot of post with some good information. One of them with the subject "Performance chip replaces ECM?" you'll want to read (originally posted on 09/10/02 by poncho).

The cold air filter was a good start. Also look into upgrading the exhaust side of things. Robert (aka EDBSO) wrote a post back on 07/17/02 with the subject "Jacobs Ultra Coil Pack MSD 8.5 Super Conductor Wires" detailing his ignition upgrades.

Beyond that, I think you'd be looking at major engine upgrades.

Has anyone else done SERIOUS investigation to adding nitrous?

[Robert, (aka EDBSO) - if you read this, please add your "it depends on how much money you want to spend" standard post below somewhere]

In response to Padgett's lose some weight idea, I have to ask "how much does the spare tire weigh?" I know its not 400 lbs, but removing it would be a small weight reduction. I mean, how many times have you really needed it anyways? Just join AAA ( or CAA for our Canadian brothern/sisteren ) [or some other road-side assistance club] and have them bail you out in that rare occurance when you actually get a flat.

.... and that's not the only "spare tire" some of us could lose...probably in the same weight range as well...about 20 Lbs (for the Reatta spare, your personal spare only you know for sure). Plus if the flat is damaged beyond patching, you are at the mercy of the towing service to purchase one of their tires. Just aint worth it.

Unfortunately, you will have to do some serios modifications to blow the doors off of your friends CL. Just by rebuilding the motor will restore lost power that you never knew you had. Check out the post on reaming out the o2 sensor housing,(there should be a pic of it somewhere, you will know what I mean) If I can not mate the turbo to my toronado,(same drive train) then I guess I will be shopping for a mid 90s VR4 this spring for a nice graduation present for myself.

• 1 month later...

I have heard that a supercharger off a Pontiac SSEI engine will bolt right onto the Reatta 3.8L. I have not looked into this yet so I'm not completely sure of the accuracy of the information or how much of a power boost will be provided. I have looked enough to know that the Pontiac engine is also a GM 3.8L.

Just maybe.

Seem to remember a head change between the "C" (1988-1990 Reatta) and the 1991-1994 "L" engine (inc the supercharged ones) so not certain if would bolt up - might need to change heads also. 1995-on Series II engine is something else again.

Ok here is my opinion. NOS is for 4 bangers that have to make up for what they did't get from the factory. grin.gif a super charger is the way to go if u can find one. the 95 park avenue has a super on it that will bolt up to the stock 3.8. im not sure what it will do to the engin with all that hp. what i was told was that if i were to do this i would need a better trans. so i said first i will convert to standerd then get the super. so there are many things to do but i have finaly relized that to go fast and have lots of hp u need a REAR WHEEL DRIVE. wonder if u could make a reatta a rear wheel drive???? lol smirk.gif

what ever u do keep us informed. i would like to try it but don't have the $$$ to throw away on something that doesn't work.

ps where could i get a new paint job for my reatta?? im in canada. NO NOT MACO!!