Dan T

1925 Doctors coupe

Hello everyone. My name is Dan.

I recently acquired a 1925 Dodge brothers coupe. It's in beautiful condition. It's a survivor.

It's all there. I have spark, compression but no fuel. It has a vacuum tank that is a fuel pump.

Can anyone tell me how to prime this fuel system? All input will be appreciated.

Does your coupe have a jump seat for the passenger and 3/4 seat in back? If so it is called either a four passenger coupe or Fisher coupe. If it only has seating for two it is a business coupe. DB never made a Dr.'s coupe or Opera coupe by name. There should/may be a pipe plug in the top of the vacuum tank. You can fill it with gas there. If not, take the lid off of the float chamber on the carb and fill it with gas. 

• Like 1

It must be a business coupe then I'm new to these cars. It was my understanding that the difference was wooden spoke wheels or steel wheels. No difference in the car.

It must be a business coupe then I'm new to these cars. It was my understanding that the difference was wooden spoke wheels or steel wheels. No difference in the car.

Disc wheels were starting to be used more around 1924 then before. Cars could still be had with either. The difference in coupes in the back seat. The Fisher or four passenger coupe is a wood bodied car like a Chevrolet. If you open the trunk the frame of the lid is wood. The doors have wood frames. And it should have a Body by Fisher tag on the right side of the cowl at the bottom. The business coupe only has one seat. I tried to google it but can't find good pictures that would show you the differences. If you can figure out how to post pictures here I will help you ID it. I have a '24 Fisher coupe. As to the vacuum tank the reprint above explains it very well, BUT can be confusing if you have never seen inside one before. Ask questions if you have problems with it. They can be very reliable. DO not go the electric pump direction.

20190608_190241.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looks very nice & complete.  The top of vacuum tank should have a plug directly in the center that can be unscrewed and then, with a small funnel, add a few oz. of gas.  At the bottom of vacuum tank is a shut off valve. Turn it CCW all the way to allow gas to flow to carb.

Edited by MikeC5 (see edit history)
  • Confused 1

Yes, business coupe and pretty nice looking one to boot. It looks like it will clean up nicely. If you don't have a Book of Information, the owner's manual, you should find one. It will tell you most everything you need to know. The AACA library stores the DB club's literature.  The 17th edition is the manual you want for your car, printed in March of '24. If you call or email them they will copy and mail it to you for a few bucks, either digital or paper copy. 

19 hours ago, cahartley said:

Are you missing the cast cover for the front?

starter_generator.jpg

No I'm getting ready to remove the starter/gen

To have it rebuilt. Any tips on removal and install appreciated . thanks again for all the replies.

• Like 1

Dan, you really NEED a manual, before you get into something that bites you and you get frustrated. Disconnect your cableS at the battery. Turn the engine over slowly by hand until you find the master link. Attach a small piece of wire to each end of the chain so you don't lose the ends and tie them off. Remove the master link. The generator is held in by a giant nut on the inside and brackets on the outside. You need a piece of brass to loosen the big nut. After you get the big nut loose there is a cam to loosen the chain .  If you drop the chain down the rabbit hole you are in trouble.

• Sad 1

I do have a mechanics manual instruction manual. It has alot of good info but it is an aftermarket one and it's limited. Looks like a lock nut that maybe needs a punch and possibly a spanner wrench. I got some patients

So there's no hurry. I do admit that I'm lost on the new cars and the really old ones. That's why I'm on this forum.

The master link is a real piece of work and I don't mean in a good way........ 😥

Please heed near choclatetown's advice.

If you have the book in the photo it doesn't matter that it's after market......it IS the book.

s-l300.jpg 

• Thanks 1

I think That I can do this. Just looking for tips from people that have done it before. Cause I haven't.

I used coat hanger wire for the chain ends.

NO WAY I wanted to lose one end or the other....... :wacko:

Also be VERY careful withdrawing the connecting link as there is more to it than just two pins.

• Thanks 1

Copy that. Thanks. Don't drop anything! Got it.

Thanks for the warning.

Can anyone tell me what this valve is? I was looking in the book and was unable to find it.

15630822311092979210164147207230.jpg

That's what i thought. Thanks spinnyhill.

I'm new to this old car and trying to sort it out.

• Like 1