Selling tips for a '31 Cadillac hood ornament?

1935Packard

I have an original 1931 Cadillac heron hood ornament, with the original base, that I took off my grandfather's 1931 370a coupe back in the 80s.  I've kept it for years, figuring that someday I might own a '31 Cadillac and could use it.  But it hasn't happened yet ,and I figure it makes sense to sell it rather than just stow it away forever.  But I have no experience at all selling a part like this, so I could use some advice!  Any  ideas for how to sell such an item?  Ebay auction?  Ebay with a fixed price?  Just post it on the Cadillac LaSalle Club forum with pictures and see what offers I get?   Any tips appreciated. 

Also, my apologies if this question is posted in the wrong forum. I *think* this is the right forum, as I'm seeking general advice, but I'm not sure....

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

Don't worry. You are in a fine place. My loyalties are with Cadillac LaSalle Club, so try there first. Sorry that '31 Cad has not come along yet. The only chance you are likely to find it will be soon after you sell this piece. It will be a pretty good deal, but will be missing the hood ornament !  😏  Where did your grandfather's Cadillac go ?      -    Carl 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1935Packard- I can put you in contact with a dealer in mascots, and give you a value range for it, wholesale and retail. As a family piece, I would keep it. Ed

I would list on ebay (put a 500 reserve or starting price on it though). Also, research waht you have and carefully document and photograph (it is an original, it is a reproduction, a heron, a goddess, proper cap, and ....).  You can list here in parts for sale - I would say a nice cap is roughly 750.00 plus or minus. 

Photos would be helpful, especially pictures of the base showing any part numbers or other detail. Originals shoud have a serial number as shown in the photo.   Condition is everything on mascots.  Ebay reaches the largest audience, but the advice given above for posting here, or with the Cadillac club is also great.

Terry

Cadillac Heron serial number.jpg

Thanks, all, for the feedback.  Ed, I'll follow up.  

Here are some photos for those interested.  My grandfather bought this car in the 40s, and I have a 1951 registration card and license plate from it; other than that, all that's left is the mascot and the radiator guard and a lot of pictures and memories. (Long story about what happened to the rest of it that I think I have posted on the forum before.)  I'm sure the mascot predates my grandfather's purchase of the car, but that's all I know.  No serial number where Terry suggested it should be, though. 

IMG_1334.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1336 (1).JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1340.JPG

IMG_1338 (1).JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1342.JPG

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

No serial number where Terry suggested it should be, though. 

I know the 30/31 Goddess had two locations for a part number. On the bottom where it attaches to the cap from the factory and below the knees form the dealer. But not sure of the Herron has a number on it at all

21 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

I know the 30/31 Goddess had two locations for a part number. On the bottom where it attaches to the cap from the factory and below the knees form the dealer. But not sure of the Herron has a number on it at all

Terry Wenger has commented over at the Cadillac Database that "I have been told that the Goddesses that were factory installed have the serial number. If the goddess was installed by the dealer, it has no serial number."  Terry wasn't sure if that was true, but if so it could also be true for the heron, I suppose.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VgaK-xSKgxYJ:https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/mascotsh.htm+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

16 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Terry Wenger has commented over at the Cadillac Database that "I have been told that the Goddesses that were factory installed have the serial number. If the goddess was installed by the dealer, it has no serial number."  Terry wasn't sure if that was true, but if so it could also be true for the heron, I suppose.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:VgaK-xSKgxYJ:https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/mascotsh.htm+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I got the info from the CL Authenticity Manual page 50.

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I got the info from the CL Authenticity Manual page 50.

Ah, thanks -- I have it for the V12s and will check it.

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Hi Packard. Is the 1931 hood ornament made of brass or zinc?  What a beauty!

Pot metal is what the factory used.

I have an almost identical mascot with the same base and chain, but all the chrome is missing. Don’t know if it was never plated or if chrome was stripped off. The base and chain appear genuine as they have the same markings as yours, but the heron itself may be an old reproduction. Both the base and heron are brass. According to the book “Motoring Mascots of the World”, the earliest herons are brass and were made of zinc starting in late ‘32, so maybe yours is brass as well. Have you decided to keep or sell?