Freon

Need advice on old cars inherited

27 minutes ago, Freon said:

I have a couple more picks but it says that they are too big to posts and I’m having trouble making it work so give me some time on that.someone asked what area I’m in-south Texas ,someone mentioned titles,I have them that is where I am getting the year from.

Typically, if you click on the "edit" option on your post, you can load more photos. The software downsizes photos when they are uploaded so although it initially thinks you have exhausted the allowed photo storage, when you go to edit your post, the earlier photos are smaller and the software allows you to upload more photos. It does not make much sense to me, but that is how it works.

• Like 1

I *thought* the original '58 TR3 wire wheels had knock offs - those look like the later "safety" wire wheels.

1957 Triumph TR31959 Triumph TR3

That's a '57 and a '59. I'd suppose the later with larger grill is of lower value.

Posted (edited)

One I wanted in my yout was the TR3B with an all synchro gearbox.

Have to agree, disassembled and not running it is basically a parts car.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

I hear you Padgett,however a factory is only a parts wear house until the the assembly line fires up.

Posted (edited)

If you inherited  the cars.. The courts would of put a value on them..  Any thing above that inherited  value is taxed..  FYI..

Your work and time and any cost you can take off any gains..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, nick8086 said:

If you inherited  the cars.. The courts would of put a value on them..  Any thing above that inherited  value is taxed..  FYI..

Your work and time and any cost you can take off any gains..

Has to be over a certain amount and varies by state. Some 1 mil, some 3 mil, etc. consult a professional tax advisor for your state’s details @Freon

• Like 2

DD64618A-37A9-4599-A1B2-68C7304C2E44.jpeg

There's the hardtop, and two windshield frames.

Hardtop looks like the only salvageable part on the TR3A. An overdrive transmission would have some value and it could be determined by the commission number. The ''58 cars usually have a five digit number and would be TSxxxxxL, the L denoting left hand drive. If an overdrive was original equipment there would be an O after the L. 

A picture or two is definately worth a thousand words, as they say.  My initial mental image was a complete old car that had been parked with no disassembly, etc.  After seeing the pics I suggest Edinmass has right approach on both cars.  One other quick effort you might make on the TR is check google for any local Triumph or British car clubs and see if you can run an ad in their newsletter.  Your best bet to find someone local and serious.  Anything over a grand I think, is a win.  Ypu have no way of knowing really, without a lot of invested time, how complete it really is.  Good luck with both.

• Like 1

"Anything over a grand I think, is a win." have to agree, wouldn't have bought some cars I've had if no just a few Benjamins and interesting. Like a Fiat 850R coupe than needed a clutch for $200. Problem is you can go broke on "deals" why I limit to the number of garage doors (could see moving to the hills on Lake County and find a small place with a barn on an acre or two high enough to be dry).

Agree the hardtop for the TR is probably worth more than the rest of the parts (could not see any SUs in the engine picture).

ps do I have the declension right ? TR2 - 53-55, TR3 55-58 (small grille) , TR3A 58-62 (wide grille), TR3B 63-64 (TR4 underpinnings)

1 hour ago, padgett said:

"Anything over a grand I think, is a win." have to agree, wouldn't have bought some cars I've had if no just a few Benjamins and interesting. Like a Fiat 850R coupe than needed a clutch for $200. Problem is you can go broke on "deals" why I limit to the number of garage doors (could see moving to the hills on Lake County and find a small place with a barn on an acre or two high enough to be dry).

Agree the hardtop for the TR is probably worth more than the rest of the parts (could not see any SUs in the engine picture).

ps do I have the declension right ? TR2 - 53-55, TR3 55-58 (small grille) , TR3A 58-62 (wide grille), TR3B 63-64 (TR4 underpinnings)

The 3B's came out in May of 1962 with final production in October 1962. Commission numbers with a TSF prefix were the TR3A engine (1991 cc) and the ones with a TCF prefix had the larger TR4 engine. Both had the TR4 all synchromesh transmission. This information is from a Moss catalog and I believe is correct.

Transferable title adds value, no question.  The wire wheels look to be MG, possibly.  The cover on the one pictured on the boot lid is not from a TR3.  Not sure where it came from.  They may have been picked up in anticipation of converting later.  Depending on condition, rebabbing them can be expensive.  

Big quesiton is what shape are the floors, rockers, trunk floor, and rear apron in?  If those need to be replaced, you need to find someone who has the skills to do the work.  Paying someone else to fix those problems added up in a hurry to the point that you are far better off simply buying a solid running car if you plan to drive it.  That does not take into account the satisfaction value of doing the work yourself..  

This from a guy who is about to start in on a TR2 that I purchased in 1986 and drove for 15 years.  Needs lots of metal work, but I think that the fun part.   Did the whole mess on my 61 TR3 about 20 years ago.   Please don't recommend psychiatric help, my wife already suggested that.  

• Haha 2

On 7/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, edinmass said:

I give this this advice to lots of families.........very few take it.

My wife fully understands this, has prices, and irrevocable instructions on how to get it done. She still keeps claiming I will outlast her, though.

Bernie

Posted (edited)

Having to deal with the alternative (being single) for the last decade there are advantages but none I would not be willing to give up. Have always though that ladies make better managers and suspect I need some management.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well thank all of you for the advice,I now have some direction on this.if I have any other questions I will ask here.

• Like 1