63 charging system

macc

I’ve been having some battery/charging system problems lately.  It all started when I was driving the car the other day went into the store when I came back out and tried to start the car the battery was dead. Turned the key and nothing no weak cranking, my air compressors didn’t come on nothing just dead as a door nail.  I tried to jump the car with my pick up truck to no avail. I ended up using the battery from my wife’s car and was able to get her home. I took the battery and alternator to the parts store for testing. They told me my battery was bad but my alternator was good. So I bought a new battery put everything back together and everything seemed to be working fine. Everything worked good I was able to drive the car for a few days but again the battery was dead as a door nail. I put my trickle charger on the battery for a couple days to get a full charge. Then took the alternator back to the store to check once again and they tll me that it checks out fine so I bought a new voltage regulator thinking this was the problem. Got back home and put everything back in the car and gave it another shot. Turned the key on and nothing dead as dead can be. I bought a multimeter and tested the battery it’s showing 12 volts. Now I’m at a loss. What else should I be looking at? 

1 hour ago, macc said:

I’ve been having some battery/charging system problems lately.  It all started when I was driving the car the other day went into the store when I came back out and tried to start the car the battery was dead. Turned the key and nothing no weak cranking, my air compressors didn’t come on nothing just dead as a door nail.  I tried to jump the car with my pick up truck to no avail. I ended up using the battery from my wife’s car and was able to get her home. I took the battery and alternator to the parts store for testing. They told me my battery was bad but my alternator was good. So I bought a new battery put everything back together and everything seemed to be working fine. Everything worked good I was able to drive the car for a few days but again the battery was dead as a door nail. I put my trickle charger on the battery for a couple days to get a full charge. Then took the alternator back to the store to check once again and they tll me that it checks out fine so I bought a new voltage regulator thinking this was the problem. Got back home and put everything back in the car and gave it another shot. Turned the key on and nothing dead as dead can be. I bought a multimeter and tested the battery it’s showing 12 volts. Now I’m at a loss. What else should I be looking at? 

I had a very similar problem in 2017 on my way to the BCA Nationals. Replaced all components and made it there and back. My solution was very simple. Bad connections at the alternator so the battery was not getting a charge. Replaced connectors and all was good. I don't know if that is your problem but, a wiring check might be in order.

Bill

Thanks for the idea. I’m doing that now and I did notice that it appears the car has no ground straps from the engine to the firewall that I can see. It probably hasn’t had any in the 8 years I’ve had the car. I never removed any. I’m sure it’s not helping the situation not having any but the car has been working fine without them all these years. I’m going to add one just In case. The battery is showing 12 volts on the multimeter and the alternator is showing 6.6 volts

Edited by macc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, steelman said:

Did you check the points? Next time, either replace the points or take them out and file them. Symptoms you describe happen when the points stick. Had it happen more than once.

I’ll have to check on that one. But wouldn’t I still get power when I turned the key on even if the points are sticking?

checked the points and they look good not sticking together 

Edited by macc (see edit history)

We’ll I think I’ve fixed the problem. It seemed to be a connection problem on the positive terminal. I’ve had the battery cables on and off over a dozen times trying to figure it out it’s crazy. But I connected both battery cables this last time and tried to start the car. Turned the key to ON and my air compressors kicked on so that was a good sign tried to start it and it started to crank but instantly had no juice. As I cranked it I could see a little spark coming from the positive terminal.  So I disconnected the positive cable and re connected it and tried again same thing happed. This happened a few times. Then I tightened the hell out of the positive cable and vroom it fired right up. And every time after. Yes!!! I put the multimeter on the battery and it showed 12.8 volts and climbed all the way to 13.51 then it dropped down to around 13.40 and stayed there. Alternator showed the same reading. It’s crazy how something so simple managed to evade me🙃 all this time. But at least it was something simple. Thanks to everyone who offered up some suggestions they were greatly appreciated. It’s alway good to get a fresh set of eyes (or ears) when you’ve been banging your head against the wall trying to figure things out. 

Quite a few times I have removed the clamp bolt from battery cables and spread the end so I could file the pinching area. Then I reassembled with a new terminal clamp bolt. A lot of battery terminals out there just can't pinch anymore and no one fixes them.

I will also solder on a new terminal or replace the cable before I clean or would use a clamp on repair terminal.

Bernie

7 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Quite a few times I have removed the clamp bolt from battery cables and spread the end so I could file the pinching area. Then I reassembled with a new terminal clamp bolt. A lot of battery terminals out there just can't pinch anymore and no one fixes them.

I will also solder on a new terminal or replace the cable before I clean or would use a clamp on repair terminal.

Bernie

That’s a good idea. Like you said those top post battery clamps always seem to run out of clamping space 

If you collect old Zippo lighters you will see damage to the bottom corners from guys in the 1950's and '60's smacking with them. Unless they had a rusty nail to poke in the space.

Now I'm thinking about the guy with nails in his battery terminals and close pins on the fuel line. Probably had two bolts holding on the three bolt starter and a stack of washers spacing the gap for the wrong generator.

He'd step back, hook his thumbs in his suspenders, and talk about American ingenuity. Boy, have I seen his trail.

Bernie