Rare 1982 Electric car Electrek only 50-60 made ? Anybody know value ?

MarioVan3

Nothing rong with a Gremlin, personally would just prefer a Vega or Astre GT wagon (++ for a Cosworth) with 4 speed and AC (Gremilin offered a free AC at one point to move stock).

Was an interesting time for AMC as they raided the parts bin for new models (Hornet - Gremlin, Javelin - AMX) on the cheap. Would need to do some research but wonder if the juggled the curb weight to fit in the same EPA class as the parent.

This is a bit like many other posts where someone who is not involved in the antique car hobby has found a car and comes to the forum as a newbie looking for confirmation about the perceived high value of a "rare" car. I would like to see the original poster tell us more about the car. I suspect he is the owner and is interested in selling it. It is also possible that he is thinking of buying it. It is an unusual example of an attempt to come up with an electric car back in the day. I don't think it is worth much money, but it is interesting. It is unusual enough, and sort of ugly enough to maybe be considered cute, by some. I sort of like it. While I have no need for it, or space for it, if it were available and the price was reasonable enough, I would consider purchasing it. I think that it is worth saving, but it might very well cost more cash to restore it than it would ever be worth, as far as resale value.   

I bought a Gremlin new in 1971.  It was pretty much a basic car.  It was also a horrid beast.  The 232CU inline 6 cylinder engine was very stout.  The clutch was too small for the engine and didn't last.  The '71 didn't have syncro in first gear with the 3 speed transmission.  They also had vacuum wipers which everyone else had abandoned 10 years earlier.  The hinges on the doors weren't the only problem.  The hinges that held the rear glass were spot welded on chrome which would break if you closed the door with the window up.  The seats in mine split in zero degree temps one winter the first year I owned it.  The seat had a large screw that would strip and fall out making the seatback recline.  If one shifted too fast, the shifter would slip between the shift rods requiring one to crawl under the car and work it back into place.  My car required constant maintenence.  My happiest day was the day when I traded it in as a "Push, Pull or Drag" promotion.  It was unquestionably the worst car I ever owned.  

Soory OP this is getting off topic.

8 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Gremlin was a good car in its time.

if you can afford a gross of door hinges. they always sagged................  LOL

My brother in law bought the first Gremlin to hit Oregon. Six cyl. three speed stick.

A fun car but zero traction in the snow.

Tranny was weak.

• 1 year later...

I read this thread to see if my initial thought was on target. It was. It didn't take long for me to imagine that row of five or six curmudgeons lined up on folding chairs at the entrance to the car show. All sitting with their arms crossed wearing rumpled clothes that started life as property of a uniform company. I am sure most have seen them. Not much meets with their approval.

Well, out to the garage, should be warmed up by now.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, declan.kavanaugh said:

If you are selling this car please please please contact me at kavadeclan@gmail.com. I will give you a fair price.

The original poster, like you, has only made one post on this Forum. He has also not been on the Forum since July of 2019. If you want to reach him, your best bet would be to send him a private message through the forum, which should generate an email to him. Assuming he still has the same email address, he might answer you. 

• Like 1