Sign in to follow this  
MarioVan3

Rare 1982 Electric car Electrek only 50-60 made ? Anybody know value ?

Hi , could really use some help here does anyone know what the rough value could be on this super rare vehicle ? .

What kind of value do you think it may have non running , no title ..as a project or promotional display or collector  ?   

Thanks a lot 

66350629_2576139475750385_7457082206846976000_n.jpg

65837664_2576138625750470_2037576774925156352_n.jpg

66015966_2576140049083661_6873528560867344384_n.jpg

66272449_2576143082416691_4593302372989534208_n.jpg

That has got to be the ugliest looking car I have ever seen. Is it for sale? What does the owner want for it? Is it stolen? Can you get a bill of sale or some kind of registration? How hard is it to get a new registration where you are?

Value could be anywhere from a couple hundred, to a few thousand dollars depending who wants it, how bad they want it, and how many people want it. Electric cars are somewhat fashionable these days, it wouldn't surprise me if it went for a lot of money. Sorry I can't tell you anything more definite than that.

Incidentally I bet a good electrician could get it running easily. The big expense would be new batteries, which could cost $2000. There isn't much to go wrong with an electric car if nobody has been messing with it, and they seldom get driven enough to wear anything out.

• Thanks 1

They were wondering where that weird roof line came from on that yellow plymouth hot rod. I think I have the answer.......

• Like 2

Rarity does not equate to valuable. This car is a classic case in point. And how hard would it have been to get the wheels centered in the wheel openings when they designed this car?

• Like 1

It looks like the styling was done by a 6 year old using crayons and water paint.

If the original poster actually owns this car,

he might not be as amenable to the comments

on the styling!  Because it is such an unusual vehicle,

seldom if ever seen, it's hard to put a value on.

Mario, is this a car you're considering buying,

or is it already yours?

I think it has a lot of negatives working against "value."  Main problems are non-running and no title.  From there if you like it, value depends on how badly you want it.  For more info you might want to contact the Lane Museum.  They specialize in small unusual vehicles.  I won't discuss how to define ugly as everyone has differing tastes. 

Terry

• Like 1

Is the body fiberglass? That may be the reason it hasn't been crushed for scrap. 

Bob 

I had a Bad Dream ....

This car was in it ....

Jim

• Thanks 1

Just a reminder why Elon Musk is so smart.   First guy in 120 years to build an Electric car that wasn't stupid looking.

On the plus side,  Electric cars have a strong collector market these days.   On the negative side,  no title and it is even more ugly than your typical Electric car.

My WAS guess is somewhere between 1000 and 5k bucks leaning on the low side.

• Like 1

The front view quickly reminded me of an early seventies Avanti II with the safety bumpers and square headlights.  Overall it has some styling issues in my opinion......

No doubt there are a few collectors of the quirky 1960's ,70's , 80's failed attempts at electric vehicles. But other than offering a home to oddball orphans I doubt much money is usually involved.

Greg in Canada

Even if you had a ranch in Montana and stored out in the back 40 it would be a loss of good grassland. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's cool enpugh to buy and play with.  This from a guy who bought a Subaru 360 once.  It has fancier wheel than th Museum car pictured.

If it was close by, I pay $800 for it.

In Florida I had a neighbor with two (2) Electric "City Cars" with less style than this one

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

I for one am inspired with all the encouraging comments assisting a newbie to the hobby.   I think he has already gotten the impression if he likes "different" cars he isn't really welcome here unless he wants to be ridiculed. I only wish I was younger so I could be around to buy your cars for pennies on the dollar due to the lack of interest in the hobby.

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)

33 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

I for one am inspired with all the encouraging comments assisting a newbie to the hobby.   I think he has already gotten the impression if he likes "different" cars he isn't really welcome here unless he wants to be ridiculed. I only wish I was younger so I could be around to buy your cars for pennies on the dollar due to the lack of interest in the hobby.

On the other hand he may thank us for not throwing his money down a rat hole. Bob 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Yes, agreed, deleted my post.  I would think $2500 would be top dollar for this car.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

On the other hand he may thank us for not throwing his money down a rat hole. Bob 

Bob perhaps it is a "rat hole"  in your mind. Do you know if he already owns it and wants to sell it or likes it's uniqueness?  He didn't ask opinions or if  others liked the car, he asked about a value. There are a lot of cars out there that can be made fun of and yet some are cherished. 

Not everybody is  between 60 and 100 on this forum and have developed a 50 + year old skin. We can guide, encourage or discourage but crushing people isn't the best option for a hobby that is struggling to get members.

Do your research first. Sometimes “free” is too much if a project needs everything. For a solid, complete non running body maybe a few hundred dollars is a fair price. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1937-44 said:

Bob perhaps it is a "rat hole"  in your mind. Do you know if he already owns it and wants to sell it or likes it's uniqueness?  He didn't ask opinions or if  others liked the car, he asked about a value. There are a lot of cars out there that can be made fun of and yet some are cherished. 

Not everybody is  between 60 and 100 on this forum and have developed a 50 + year old skin. We can guide, encourage or discourage but crushing people isn't the best option for a hobby that is struggling to get members.

The OP made no mention of age or gender. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The OP made no mention of age or gender. 

That is true, so if he's older or a woman it's okay to belittle the posters choices? 

With the responses and welcome the poster has received is there any surprise why they haven't posted again in over a day? 

Maybe we should all only own Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes 55-57 Chevies and maybe Chevelles as those seem to be the only attractive cars?  Or is it we should just belittle all cars we don't like? I could probably come up with a bunch of cars that some find unattractive,  should they all be scrapped?

3 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I don’t think lying to someone is a good way to promote the hobby.  If the OP is looking to buy then he needs an intervention and if he is looking to sell he is on a tough spot.  Also, if the OP is the owner he should have made that clear.  I personally would have toned my comments down just a tad.