Rare 1982 Electric car Electrek only 50-60 made ? Anybody know value ?

MarioVan3

Hi , could really use some help here does anyone know what the rough value could be on this super rare vehicle ? .

What kind of value do you think it may have non running , no title ..as a project or promotional display or collector  ?   

Thanks a lot 

66350629_2576139475750385_7457082206846976000_n.jpg

65837664_2576138625750470_2037576774925156352_n.jpg

66015966_2576140049083661_6873528560867344384_n.jpg

66272449_2576143082416691_4593302372989534208_n.jpg

That has got to be the ugliest looking car I have ever seen. Is it for sale? What does the owner want for it? Is it stolen? Can you get a bill of sale or some kind of registration? How hard is it to get a new registration where you are?

Value could be anywhere from a couple hundred, to a few thousand dollars depending who wants it, how bad they want it, and how many people want it. Electric cars are somewhat fashionable these days, it wouldn't surprise me if it went for a lot of money. Sorry I can't tell you anything more definite than that.

Incidentally I bet a good electrician could get it running easily. The big expense would be new batteries, which could cost $2000. There isn't much to go wrong with an electric car if nobody has been messing with it, and they seldom get driven enough to wear anything out.

• Thanks 1

Rarity does not equate to valuable. This car is a classic case in point. And how hard would it have been to get the wheels centered in the wheel openings when they designed this car?

• Like 1

If the original poster actually owns this car,

he might not be as amenable to the comments

on the styling!  Because it is such an unusual vehicle,

seldom if ever seen, it's hard to put a value on.

Mario, is this a car you're considering buying,

or is it already yours?

• Like 1

I think it has a lot of negatives working against "value."  Main problems are non-running and no title.  From there if you like it, value depends on how badly you want it.  For more info you might want to contact the Lane Museum.  They specialize in small unusual vehicles.  I won't discuss how to define ugly as everyone has differing tastes. 

Terry

• Like 1

Just a reminder why Elon Musk is so smart.   First guy in 120 years to build an Electric car that wasn't stupid looking.

On the plus side,  Electric cars have a strong collector market these days.   On the negative side,  no title and it is even more ugly than your typical Electric car.

My WAS guess is somewhere between 1000 and 5k bucks leaning on the low side.

• Like 1

No doubt there are a few collectors of the quirky 1960's ,70's , 80's failed attempts at electric vehicles. But other than offering a home to oddball orphans I doubt much money is usually involved.

Greg in Canada

I think it's cool enpugh to buy and play with.  This from a guy who bought a Subaru 360 once.  It has fancier wheel than th Museum car pictured.

If it was close by, I pay $800 for it.

In Florida I had a neighbor with two (2) Electric "City Cars" with less style than this one

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

I for one am inspired with all the encouraging comments assisting a newbie to the hobby.   I think he has already gotten the impression if he likes "different" cars he isn't really welcome here unless he wants to be ridiculed. I only wish I was younger so I could be around to buy your cars for pennies on the dollar due to the lack of interest in the hobby.

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

I for one am inspired with all the encouraging comments assisting a newbie to the hobby.   I think he has already gotten the impression if he likes "different" cars he isn't really welcome here unless he wants to be ridiculed. I only wish I was younger so I could be around to buy your cars for pennies on the dollar due to the lack of interest in the hobby.

On the other hand he may thank us for not throwing his money down a rat hole. Bob 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

Yes, agreed, deleted my post.  I would think $2500 would be top dollar for this car.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

On the other hand he may thank us for not throwing his money down a rat hole. Bob 

Bob perhaps it is a "rat hole"  in your mind. Do you know if he already owns it and wants to sell it or likes it's uniqueness?  He didn't ask opinions or if  others liked the car, he asked about a value. There are a lot of cars out there that can be made fun of and yet some are cherished. 

Not everybody is  between 60 and 100 on this forum and have developed a 50 + year old skin. We can guide, encourage or discourage but crushing people isn't the best option for a hobby that is struggling to get members.

Do your research first. Sometimes “free” is too much if a project needs everything. For a solid, complete non running body maybe a few hundred dollars is a fair price. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1937-44 said:

Bob perhaps it is a "rat hole"  in your mind. Do you know if he already owns it and wants to sell it or likes it's uniqueness?  He didn't ask opinions or if  others liked the car, he asked about a value. There are a lot of cars out there that can be made fun of and yet some are cherished. 

Not everybody is  between 60 and 100 on this forum and have developed a 50 + year old skin. We can guide, encourage or discourage but crushing people isn't the best option for a hobby that is struggling to get members.

The OP made no mention of age or gender. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

The OP made no mention of age or gender. 

That is true, so if he's older or a woman it's okay to belittle the posters choices? 

With the responses and welcome the poster has received is there any surprise why they haven't posted again in over a day? 

Maybe we should all only own Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes 55-57 Chevies and maybe Chevelles as those seem to be the only attractive cars?  Or is it we should just belittle all cars we don't like? I could probably come up with a bunch of cars that some find unattractive,  should they all be scrapped?

3 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I don’t think lying to someone is a good way to promote the hobby.  If the OP is looking to buy then he needs an intervention and if he is looking to sell he is on a tough spot.  Also, if the OP is the owner he should have made that clear.  I personally would have toned my comments down just a tad.

Why does he need an intervention? Would you say the same if he was buying a Gremlin, Pacer,  Aztec,  Isseta,  Amphicar,  Elcar,  Messerschmidt or a multitude of other cars that might be considered an acquired taste?

Without a title if he is selling he is in a tough spot.

I just think the old car hobby could be a little more tolerant instead of so judgmental.  I refrained from making any comment until it got so intolerant of the OP's choice and rarely made any constructive comments. So in my opinion I did tone it down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"In Florida I had a neighbor with two (2) Electric "City Cars" with less style than this one " AFAIR the CitiCar was made in Sebring and was the only car that managed to wrap a caliper around the axle in a road test.

17 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Maybe we should all only own Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes 55-57 Chevies and maybe Chevelles as those seem to be the only attractive cars?  Or is it we should just belittle all cars we don't like? I could probably come up with a bunch of cars that some find unattractive,  should they all be scrapped?

Its not that its unattractive, its also VERY crudely built.  Having had the opportunity to look at one up close, there is little or no attention for comfort or quality detail.  (see my previous post with the link.)   One will cook inside it on a hot day as not one window opens for ventilation, not to mention, the doors do not go all the way to the floor, making a very high stepover.  Unlike a Pacer, or a Messerschmitt, there is no attention to build quality or attention to detail, with those thick rubber gaskets around the windows, and the top speed of it less than what many will tolerate on the freeway.  

A vintage electric car of any kind is an expensive liability, even If one wants to place it into service as a seldom used "collector car", as replacement batteries are expensive, and still go bad while parked in the garage between uses.  

Craig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Unlike a Pacer, or a Messerschmitt, there is no attention to build quality or attention to detail,

Possibly the best line I've read in a long, long time. 🤣

21 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

Why does he need an intervention? Would you say the same if he was buying a Gremlin, Pacer,  Aztec,  Isseta,  Amphicar,  Elcar,  Messerschmidt or a multitude of other cars that might be considered an acquired taste?

Assuming that the negative comments are driven by elitism is wrong.     I would LOVE a Randell Gremlin in any condition, and would be happy with a very nice version of any of the others.    However,  there is nothing redeeming about the subject car of this thread.   Nothing.  

• Thanks 1

Gremlin was a good car in its time. Remember it was selling against such cars as the Pinto, Vega, VW beetle, Datsun and Toyota. If it was 1970 and all I could afford was a basic economy car, and I had to make it last for 10 years with minimal repair expense, the Gremlin would be my choice.

The Electrek sounds like it belongs in a museum of electric cars not to be driven.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Assuming that the negative comments are driven by elitism is wrong.     I would LOVE a Randell Gremlin in any condition, and would be happy with a very nice version of any of the others.    However,  there is nothing redeeming about the subject car of this thread.   Nothing.  

I'd take an AMC Pacer, nice low mileage one. Bob 

23 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I'd take an AMC Pacer, nice low mileage one. Bob 

I can understand the historic interest in an antique electric car.  But style wise, that car looks like the offspring of a Pacer after a drunken night with a farm tractor. 😄.

Paul 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Gremlin was a good car in its time. Remember it was selling against such cars as the Pinto, Vega, VW beetle, Datsun and Toyota. If it was 1970 and all I could afford was a basic economy car, and I had to make it last for 10 years with minimal repair expense, the Gremlin would be my choice.

This is the one you want:  https://barnfinds.com/1972-amc-randall-gremlin-x-unofficial-hot-rod/

image.thumb.png.e677a0e1b917884ba50a9d8b43e64806.png

I would bet that if this car was on an AACA show field it would have more lookers than corvettes, mustangs and Packard's combined!  Variety is the spice of life.  If the price is right and a title can be obtained, I say go for it!!!

Wouldn't car shows be bland if all the cars were the same?

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 7:36 PM, 8E45E said:

There is one in the Western Development Museum in Moose Jaw, SK.  Photos of it here--------------->  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?53378-Orphan-of-the-Day-08-04-1982-ElecTrek

Craig

I was in that museum in Moose Jaw less than two weeks ago and don't remember seeing it. Not bright enough colors, maybe, or not on display that day. If you had a computer program which could mix a Studebaker Avanti and an AMC Pacer design, the ElecTrek is pretty close. It did have a little more appeal than the CityCar or Commuta-Car, IMO. (Wikipedia photo)220px-Sebring-Vanguard_Citicar_09-OL_070601B.jpg 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I'm afraid my comment about some of the cars has misdirected my point. I personally like Isettas, Messerschmidts, Amphicars etc. 

I agree this car would be an acquired taste and isn't exactly an attractive car. However I also believe it has a place in the hobby and that we should encourage people in the hobby. It's alright to warn people of certain poor aspects of a car, difficulty finding parts, acquiring titles etc.

However I stand by my point that we should not crush a newbies desire because he or she has different taste than ours. To me this thread started out the same as when a new person brings their rusty new acquisition to a show and the old guys start telling him that he has a piece of crap and shouldn't waste his time with it. 

Edited by 1937-44 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is a piece of automotive history and should be preserved in my opinion. Folks on these forums often confuse "price" with "value". Moneywise it's not worth a lot.  Value wise I think it has a good bit going for it. Historically interesting. A different approach to styling. Another example of the many attempts to build a readily accepted electric car over the years. As  to styling....Hell, I once met a fellow who collected Studebakers !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

It is a piece of automotive history and should be preserved in my opinion. Folks on these forums often confuse "price" with "value". Moneywise it's not worth a lot.  Value wise I think it has a good bit going for it. Historically interesting. A different approach to styling. Another example of the many attempts to build a readily accepted electric car over the years. As  to styling....Hell, I once met a fellow who collected Studebakers !

Good point, it doesn't share the lines of a Tucker and they made one more before they folded. I'll take a 1929 Studebaker Roadster if you are cleaning out the barn. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)