Sign in to follow this  
Carbuff2

1966 1967 Riviera Rear Chrome Strip on Vinyl Top Car

Posted (edited)

FOUND ONE NO LONGER NEEDED - THANKS TO ALL THAT HELPED. PAUL I need the chrome strip between the back window and the trunk on 1966 or 1967 with a vinyl top.  Please PM me, call-text me 559 355-3551 or email me 65skyriv19@att.net Paul

Edited by Carbuff2
NO LONGER NEEDED (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Not 100% sure - hafta check the parts manual, but I think Mike is right !

Grp. 12.971 #7661398 - Soft Roof Trim indicates '68 only.  

'66 , '67, '68,  and '69 have the same filler panel below the rear window, some with louvers, and some without.

On vinyl topped  cars, the steel panel is embossed to simulate vinyl, and painted to match the color of the vinyl roof.

I have the  complete chrome trim for a  '68 vinyl roof.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Carbuff2 said:

I need the chrome strip between the back window and the trunk on 1966 or 1967 with a vinyl top.  Please PM me, call-text me 559 355-3551 or email me 65skyriv19@att.net Paul

Do you only need the chrome molding on the vented panel below the back window or do you need the whole vented panel to include the molding? We who are responding seem to have different interpretations of what you are looking for. Please clarify.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

It is on the 1966 model, and I believe 1967.  Chrome strip just above the trunk on cars with a vinyl top.  Not the sides only the one piece …. it can be seen on the attached picture that I got off the internet.  thanks to whoever owns 

this beautiful black beauty.  Thanks Paul

1966 chrome trim.jpg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Carbuff2 said:

only the one piece

Maybe I wasn't clear. The rear vent panel below the window has the molding attached to it.

Do you only need the silver molding or do you need the whole vent panel and molding?

A picture of this section of your car would be helpful.

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)

Car is not here. at paint shop so picture not available.  I do not need the panel only the chrome strip, unless the panel and the chrome strip are not seperable.  I will buy them as a unit.  Thanks for the help in locating this piece.  

Paul

Do you watch any of the Buick groups on Facebook? Especially the parts groups.

There is a 69 a guy is parting out that was posted yesterday on the 1963-1973 Riviera group.

Check if @Hossrod still has the collection of '69 Riv parts he was selling for his Father in Law.

I purchased some parts from him that were in good condition.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Carbuff2 said:

Car is not here. at paint shop so picture not available.  I do not need the panel only the chrome strip, unless the panel and the chrome strip are not seperable.  I will buy them as a unit.  Thanks for the help in locating this piece.  

Paul

I would think that they're separate.  The panel has the "vinyl grain" pressed into the metal, and the strip is smooth and chrome plated.  It would be really difficult to produce that piece with two different configurations.  If you don't come up with one here, check the classifieds in the Riview.  You could also contact the CTC Auto Ranch in Denton, TX.  You can look at the Rivieras that they're parting out on their website.

Update:

I just looked at CTC's website.  There are at least 6 cars with that strip on them.  I also saw one car that was missing all of the vinyl top chrome pieces put the louvered panel was still in place.  This tells me the pieces are separate. 66 - 69 look to be the same, 70's are different.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The steel panel insert is only embossed on vinyl optioned cars Ed,  and they have the stainless divider strip added to them.

Non-vinyl top cars had a plain steel non-embossed panel,  and no stainless strip.

Does your car have  a vinyl top Paul?

If not, then you won't need the stainless strip which completes the sail panel mouldings on a vinyl optioned car.

Non-vinyl cars did not have the stainless trim on the panel.

Thanks everyone, located one locally so I no longer need one.  Thanks to all for your help. Paul

• Like 1

Great news Paul - post some pics after it's painted ! 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

The steel panel insert is only embossed on vinyl optioned cars Ed,  and they have the stainless divider strip added to them.

Non-vinyl top cars had a plain steel non-embossed panel,  and no stainless strip.

Does your car have  a vinyl top Paul?

If not, then you won't need the stainless strip which completes the sail panel mouldings on a vinyl optioned car.

Non-vinyl cars did not have the stainless trim on the panel.

As I re-read my post, isn't that the impression that I gave?  I made reference only to cars equipped with vinyl tops. I've had 66 and 67's each way.  A friend had a 66 with solid color paint and I told him that his car originally had a vinyl,top.  He didnt believe me untill I showed him the pressed metal valance below the rear window.  He was about to have the car repainted anyway so together we found him a plain valance and he had his painter remove all of the vinyl top trim and fill in the holes before the repaint.  In the search that I did of the CTC Auto Ranch, I only mentioned cars that were equipped with vinyl tops or remnants thereof.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RivNut said:

As I re-read my post, isn't that the impression that I gave?  I made reference only to cars equipped with vinyl tops. I've had 66 and 67's each way.  A friend had a 66 with solid color paint and I told him that his car originally had a vinyl,top.  He didnt believe me untill I showed him the pressed metal valance below the rear window.  He was about to have the car repainted anyway so together we found him a plain valance and he had his painter remove all of the vinyl top trim and fill in the holes before the repaint.  In the search that I did of the CTC Auto Ranch, I only mentioned cars that were equipped with vinyl tops or remnants thereof.

Correct Ed, nuff said, he found what he was looking for ! :)