RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1938 Cadillac V16 7 Passenger unrestored original. 28k miles, off the road since 1954.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

When I meet a new lady she is introduced to the house I built myself, the dogs and then the cars and it is explained none these things are open to negotiation.    lol  Needless to say i am still single when after a couple months they test the waters to see if I really mean it.

That reminds me of a well known, lots of cars, now diseased, collector in the Southern states....was on a tour with them once long ago, and they were telling the story of having a couple of dates, and somewhere in the conversation he mentioned he "had a few old cars that he played with" .  His collection, an incredible assemblage of Full Classic car with others mixed in.  She was taken aback, as they say.  A wonderful couple, we toured with them long ago, and she continued the interest in cars when he left us.

A friend of mine still hauls her cars around the country.  When we were touring, he mentioned a Duesenberg he owned, that used to be in the B. B. Crump collection in Baton Rouge.  I told him that was the only Duesenberg I'd ever driven, and he was smiling...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CBGSTYLES said:

people that restore car on a regular basis , would know by looking at the pics , it would be a great restoration project , those that dont restore cars , would look at the pics and see a pile of junk , 

Anyone here who looks at any other member's cars and sees just a pile of junk has no business being here or having any involvement with old cars. 

• Like 5

Am I the only guy here that thinks this Cadillac is not going to be a difficult restoration? Anyways, I personally believe it would be a great HPOF class car. A good cleaning of the paint, most, if not all of that chrome will clean up to a presentable state and that engines going to run. I'd drive it as an original. How many completely original V16 Cadillacs do we see at shows? None. This car would kick ass pulling up at any grand event and I guarantee it would pull crowds at Pebble or Amelia and it would get the invite, no question about that. 

• Like 1

Well except for these.  

Hard to determine how much anything would clean up with 3 shots and the one under the hood looks pretty crusty.  Probably needs rewiring at this point so it doesn't go up in flames.  What's the interior like.  Survivors stop when mouse and mold damage consumes over 50 percent or less depending on the smell. 

C88634EE-6626-4B56-AE52-61B6A014D563.thumb.jpeg.91cea647bb208fa0f19d298872fd4a18.jpeg

image.jpeg.069494bf303daba440b87e1d058c413b.jpeg

• Haha 1

Maybe hard for some of you guys to determine by the few photos? Ok, maybe but I walk past the car everyday so I know how good it still is because it's my car. I don't think the car is going anywhere, at least not here. However, I have to move the car anyway to remove another car behind it that already sold so the V16 will be coming out, at least temporarily. When it does, I'll post some photos and I am sure everyone will be amazed how well preserved she is. Still has big old wide white tires all holding air. :)

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone has ever asked but do you have any Franklin's stashed away ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I don't know if anyone has ever asked but do you have any Franklin's stashed away ?

Yep, Franklins are here. A roadster and a touring car. Both from the teens. I can't get them out. They were walled in long ago. Sealed up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

....................this Cadillac ....................... if ........................... that engines going to run. I'd drive it as an original. How............................

.............. much care was taken to ensure the engine would not seize up and rust and corrode will be a critical factor........................... I also would clean it up and drive it as an original..................... depending on the condition of all aspects of the interior............. whether used as a rodent condominium/latrine, or moth destroyed........................ if the interior is intact and presentable, or better, that, along with the conservation of mechanical internals, will determine the viability of a driver class car.................... a...............       -   driver class Cadillac Car (l)

P.S.  I think I will withhold further comments until more is revealed. There are too many unknowns, and present scant details simply invite a wide spectrum of assumptions. I'll wait for many more pictures. And Matt : I think you have more than enough fascinating relics  to keep me interested until my dying days. Wish I could stick around to see them all !

• Like 3

Like C,Carl I look forward to more photos.  From what I have seen it looks better than my convertible did when I started.  At least it is all there.  Somebody needs to "go for it".  Your kids won't miss a couple hundred when you go.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i always look forward to when you advertise one of your cars.  great collection.  i am looking forward to the 1918 to 23 orphan make stuff when you get to it. Thanks, Keith

Edited by kmstrade (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If it's so great and everyone just need to go for it,  jump on in there.  No one or anything is holding you back.  I know my capabilities, available play money and what, I desire in cars, as well as what the second half would say and do if I dragged it home after draining the account 35G.  This fits none outside of being another neat old car,  which there are thousands and thousands of for sale at any time. 

• Haha 1

OK, have to ask this question.  Why would you wall in and seal up so many cars with no hope of ever getting them out ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 8:55 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

OK, have to ask this question.  Why would you wall in and seal up so many cars with no hope of ever getting them out ?

If you have to ask, you might not understand. Anyways, to answer the question, as more cars started coming in, the buildings grew in size to hold more cars. The oldest section was sealed up and a new doorway was built. The old road up to the original doorway turned into a full grown forest so removing cars that way is not possible without a helicopter. This closing and sealing up doorways happened several times over the last 80+ years. Nobody thought at the time in the 30s and 40s about getting the cars out. The question always was, how to keep bringing new cars in?

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Like 3

He didn't I'm so glad his family did,otherwise,this post would not be here.his prices are right,you never know what comes out next.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, old car fan said:

He didn't I'm so glad his family did,otherwise,this post would not be here.his prices are right,you never know what comes out next.

Thank you friend. Yes, I think I priced all the cars very fair and many are actually selling. As for this V16, I will post more complete photos as promised. I never let you guys down. Also, keep in mind guys, the 35k asking price is a reasonable place to start, it does not mean that I will only sell the car at that figure. I am up for negotiations within reason. The car can be bought for less. I think you guys know that. 

Wish I was in a stronger financial position. I would love to have a beautiful old unrestored big classic car, like some I have seen in this thread. 

Any vintage car (or any other collectible, for that matter), is worth exactly what the available pool of buyers will pay for it. Period. 

Restoring a car for profit has always been tough, or nearly impossible. I recall my parents and their friends in the AACA chapter discussing that in the 1950's. But, when you compare that against the cost of buying a fabulous new boat.... Imagine which one will be worth more in 25-30 years. And other hobbies, like hunting, fishing, golf, etc, etc cost a lot of money too. But none of that money is ever recoverable. 

To each his own. Wish I was in a stronger financial position....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Thank you friend. Yes, I think I priced all the cars very fair and many are actually selling. As for this V16, I will post more complete photos as promised. I never let you guys down. Also, keep in mind guys, the 35k asking price is a reasonable place to start, it does not mean that I will only sell the car at that figure. I am up for negotiations within reason. The car can be bought for less. I think you guys know that. 

We do know that and know you have to start somewhere.  I just appreciate that you offer the cars to us as a group first. Thanks for what you and your family have done for the hobby. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very much agree,can not wait for the next mystery,wish we had space,the right,gotta have IT,maybe

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/27/2019 at 8:55 AM, Brooklyn Beer said:

If his family had not sealed them up where would they be now? Some would have been saved, but my guess (and it's just a guess) is that most would not. These classics might have deteriorated but they still exist, and most appear to be good restoration candidates for some future date when thy are all liberated from their temporary tombs. Thanks to the Richelieu family and other people like Barney Pollard many unique cars were saved.  

Don

Edited by DLynskey (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

or they could have been restored many many years ago ?

Ahh, no. I don't think so, considering we pulled at least 80% of these cars directly out of the scrap drives of WW2. I can say with confidence that if it was not for us saving the cars, they would not even exist today. They were on their way to being melted down in the 1930s and 1940s ok? We are not car hoarders, we saved them, period. You are welcome everyone. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On July 27, 2019 at 8:46 AM, auburnseeker said:

If it's so great and everyone just need to go for it,  jump on in there.  No one or anything is holding you back.  I know my capabilities, available play money and what, I desire in cars, as well as what the second half would say and do if I dragged it home after draining the account 35G.  This fits none outside of being another neat old car,  which there are thousands and thousands of for sale at any time. 

So you are saying that there are thousands and thousands of unrestored V16 Cadillacs for sale at any time? Nope. 

• Like 1

No probably not,  but I am saying that there are lots of equally rare unrestored cars out there that need just as much work or even less that may never get done,  because one needs two things that most guys on this forum and most other places lack.  Both desire and resources.  Those that have the resources don't want to tackle it because many have already been there and know the battle,  the others are the guys that would love to have a chance at a car like this to restore but don't have the money/ time to restore so finding a guy that wants to buy at the top end of the project stage,  to fully rebuild a car like this that has limited appeal when done after dumping many time the costs of similar finished cars is going to be a very tough fit. 

I sold my 40 Ford coupe the other day and I thought that would be a hard sell,  but I found out the big difference between getting a reasonable price for a very nice looking turn key car and trying to get top dollar for a huge long dormant very expensive project is night and day.  If this was an open car with sleek lines I would say it would be a much easier sale than a Limousine.

My opinion of course but I see alot of cars for sale every day and now actively looking for one even in the range of your asking price, realize the number of cars available in that price range is huge,  especially if you don't need an exact make year and model but set parameters that are somewhat wide. 

I wish you good luck, but get it sold and move on.  Time is not doing any of these needy cars any favors. 

As I've said to sell the car has to be better than the others or cheaper and it will sell unless of course it is completely undesirable but cheap enough and a flipper will scoop it up thinking they are the ones to profit on it but that will be stuck with it. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Ahh, no. I don't think so, considering we pulled at least 80% of these cars directly out of the scrap drives of WW2. I can say with confidence that if it was not for us saving the cars, they would not even exist today. They were on their way to being melted down in the 1930s and 1940s ok? We are not car hoarders, we saved them, period. You are welcome everyone. :rolleyes:

Richelieumotorcar,

Let the naysayers have their way. The old adage that the loudest boo's come from the cheapest seats is prevalent here.

Without what your family did there would be a lot less cars for them to sit in the cheap seats and crow about.

• Like 1

Obviously, this thread has gone well beyond a for sale ad. 

I think the original poster can do what he wants with these cars.  I for one do not have the time or money to purchase them.  That does not make me a boobird from the cheapest seats.   We buy what we can afford.  Perhaps auburnseekers point is that there is generally speaking a surplus of neat old cars to own and enjoy in the hobby for those of us who can not afford to restore this fine V16.   I think it is a fair statement to say that the folks who can afford to buy this V16 Cadillac and pay for the restoration - is a small number.   They are NOT on this forum. 

Years ago when Duesenberg's were all the rage, Fran Roxas and similar restoration shops were getting blank check restoration requests from the likes of Ralph Lauren and other collectors.  THAT is who will likely buy this car, and that will require marketing to THEM.  I think we can agree, but maybe not, that all of us are not likely buyers for this car, based on means.

BUT, I appreciate the original poster placing it for sale on this site.