RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1938 Cadillac V16 7 Passenger unrestored original. 28k miles, off the road since 1954.

No action on craigslist for the Fiero so I stuck it on Facebook.  Wow.  Like Chum in the water at a shark convention.  One guy coming to look tomorrow and I had to put 2 others on hold. 11 people inquired in the first 8 hours.   Maybe Craigslist is dieing and facebook is taking over?

One thing I noticed is the ads get really shuffled up on facebook so I can never tell what was just listed , craigslist has the newest on top.  

• Like 1

would love a project like that cad to do myself (I only get someone else to do the work if I don't have the tools myself (or can't afford them)) but tyranny of distance... and storage... and wife approval....

and wife approval....

one is doomed, if that is necessary.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

and wife approval....

one is doomed, if that is necessary.

When I meet a new lady she is introduced to the house I built myself, the dogs and then the cars and it is explained none these things are open to negotiation.    lol  Needless to say i am still single when after a couple months they test the waters to see if I really mean it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

and wife approval....

I own a few projects I wish my wife rejected for me.  At least one of us would have a brain.

As for this Caddy,  I can think of a lot worse cars to make a long term project.  There is something to be said for starting with a complete unmolested  car.  You can’t do the math because it never makes sense. Ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

When I meet a new lady she is introduced to the house I built myself, the dogs and then the cars and it is explained none these things are open to negotiation.   

If she doesn’t immediately take to the dogs then you know pretty quickly.  I can see how a smart women may need some cajoling on the cars.

Thats why i still have the same wife after 45 years , i can buy anything i like , i have my own old car bank account that i run myself so i don't have to ask for one dime when it concerns old cars and parts and we are both happy .The only thing we can't buy is our health but we cannot complain in that matter .

I like the V16 alsoo but such project here in Belgium is to much as you cannot find one screw for such car down  here .Then we don't talk about chromework  that is extremely expensive down here .All the  chrome work goes east down here because of the pollution problems and laws .

• Like 1

So liquidated the Fiero as well.  That was a little harder as most the interest wondered what ti would take to put it on the road.  I guess few understand what Best for parts and hasn't run in atleast 10 years so it's probably seized means.  Anyways, 2nd guy showed up in a Fiero, but his was an 84 and after a good look wasn't sure if the stuff he needed would work.  Totally understandable.  He made me an offer a half hour later when he got home,  but i had already made arrangements for the next guy to look at it.  That guy the 3rd one,  showed up this morning in the exact same 1987 in the same color.  His car needed the front fender, door, Nose panel and lower front spoiler right off the bat as all of his had a hole punched in them.  He said they are hard to find parts cars for that anyone will part with.  I'm thinking to myself,  wow you would be a fool to not take it, especially while they are looking at it they keep noting pieces that are better that theirs.  Anyways I told them 200 and it's yours. They decided to talk about it,  then finally came ot the hosue and told me they would take it.  

But look that's two cars gone.  And these were low value parts cars for more than scrap,  so I saved them and some cars will live on while there is still interest on them.  

Now to go respond to the other 10 people waiting to come look at it.  I could have held out ,  maybe someone would have given me the $250,  but it's gone and I'm shed one more weight. 

• Like 4

Let's make a deal on the Monster V16. Wanna know a secret? There are more V16 Cadillacs here.... First somebody save this one, then I'll post another one. An open body. :o

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Hi Matt. Do you have any pictures of the interior, please.   -  CC 

• Like 1

Yes, I'm in the process of uncovering the car. I will post complete photos soon. A lot of stuff still around the car. Hang in there.. 

• Like 1

If this has been asked before I apologize.  But what gave you the foresight back in the day to purchase and put all these cars up?  Quite an amazing collection that covers about everything. 

• Like 1

Here is my dad's 38 5-passenger V-16 - if one is lucky you might see him cruising around Hendersonville, NC.  

I'm a fan, wish I could justify another one!

DSC00223.JPG

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Nice to see one that isn't black!

Mine is actually factory dark green with light green wheels under the hubcaps and dark green pinstripes on the wheels.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Mine is actually factory dark green with light green wheels under the hubcaps and dark green pinstripes on the wheels.

I think that's called Cavern Green and is a wonderful color--looks black until in direct sunlight.  Another great color 1938-39 was Oxblood Maroon with the same "looks black" effect; unfortunately, it seems that most modern applications of the Oxblood formula turn out closed to a rose wine.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 7:05 AM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Ok, maybe I did, however, what do people expect an unrestored 81 year old car that has been sitting in a barn for 65 years to look like? Low miles or not.

people that restore car on a regular basis , would know by looking at the pics , it would be a great restoration project , those that dont restore cars , would look at the pics and see a pile of junk , 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don't see a pile of junk,  though I do see several zeros behind the dollar sign that one needs to have to tackle a project like this.  Most people that have it,   don't want to as they have already tackled others and learned they have to love what they are buying and restoring to see it through.  Most any one can see it's going to need alot of things farmed out,  no matter how good you are as few can do quality upholstery,  good body and paint work as well as chroming,  not to mention mechanical which now a days less and less guys can do as well as less and less shops,  that aren't dedicated restoration facilities.    Even being a v16 Cadillac it still suffers from the fact not alot of guys want to step up to a hundred thousand dollar or most likely more restoration of a four door sedan.  

He only needs one buyer. I don't see a pile of junk and I don't really care what "most people" want or would do. It will take a talented and clever person to bring that car back but they are out there and, say what you will, it's a way into that world for someone with talent but relatively modest means - someone who is never going to have $100,000 of disposable cash at one time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, Matt Harwood said:

First, no, the Brunn Packard isn't available. Don't ask. No, I won't show you more pictures and I won't tell you where it is. It is NOT AVAILABLE.

OK, that said, I sold this '38 Cadillac 7P touring sedan about seven years ago in roughly the same condition:

IMG_1376a.jpg.704ea8d83f2b2613fa91c0ffd072da35.jpgIMG_1423a.jpg.73447f2c4fd07129ae536005285e8c23.jpgIMG_1381a.jpg.f96cce6d9ae799d5057ba21988fbe28e.jpgIMG_1383.JPG.2c0946c796dcc90978acfdc0e19b32e7.JPG

IMG_1394a.jpg.bf059aa9095897c30067687a5ca08e78.jpgIMG_1412a.jpg.4d82b93d721e9519c77e7ac14a1b3fa9.jpg

Like yours, this one spent decades in warm, dry storage, and it was solid and complete. They're good cars, particularly for touring. I actually sold this one twice, eventually talking the first buyer out of it because it was his plan to put the chassis from a Suburban or something under it and I thought that would be a crime. It is currently being restored overseas. I won't comment on price beyond saying that you'd be disappointed to learn what this one ultimately sold for. It generated a great deal of positive interest everywhere I posted it, but actual buyers were incredibly difficult to find given the magnitude of the task.

It's pretty simple. The cars asking prices are the seller's choice and the cars are marketed to collectors with deep pockets. NOT most of us.  I am speaking of the O.P.  I would have to take a loan for $35,000 to buy the car, it would take $7,000 to bring it to Iowa and $125,000 or more to restore to top condition - that's $167,000 to get this to nice condition. Obviously it's selling price would be $55,000 to $75,000 but whoever restores it isn't likely to sell right away. 

Nope - this forum has no member that can afford that car.  Once it is marketed deep into the hinterlands of the hobby, someone from Europe will buy it. I'm not sure how they afford these cars when we can not, but they do. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

If this has been asked before I apologize.  But what gave you the foresight back in the day to purchase and put all these cars up?  Quite an amazing collection that covers about everything. 

Yeah your family had the foresight of similar people who collected fine art that is now worth millions.  Not everybody had that foresight.  You state you have several V16 cars. Wow, plus Airflows, rare Roadsters, etc.  I just pull up the popcorn and munch away when you post a new car.  I've wanted that 1927 7p Cadillac for 3 years now, but I doubt it pops up here until 2022 or so.

• Like 1

As was pointed out though earlier very nice examples sold for 50's?  If you have 35G now 50 is not far away and financing the extra15 to 20 G would be rewarded several times over no matter how much you might like this particular car.   These don't sell for 100G plus as has been noted. 

V16's do on a regular basis,  just not this style.  It's no different than any car from any era,  the most desire-able quite often raciest styled cars command the big money.   Take it right into the muscle car era and it doesn't change.   Survivors command a premium but if every aspect of the survivor needs to be replaced,  you lose the survivor fact.   I don't think it's a car I could even polish up and make wonderful with a little patina.  I think it passed that stage years ago.  The Northeast is a damp environment and unless in a very dry wood floor garage,  corrosion happens unfortunately on every thing.  Would still be nice to see more pictures.  No matter how crammed it is in the spot it's in,  we could surely see a few more.  Look at all the junk on craigslist that's photographed in a packed garage,  yet they manage to get a few overall photos of alteast a few angles,  even if it's partially obscured. 

1 hour ago, JV Puleo said:

He only needs one buyer. I don't see a pile of junk and I don't really care what "most people" want or would do. It will take a talented and clever person to bring that car back but they are out there and, say what you will, it's a way into that world for someone with talent but relatively modest means - someone who is never going to have $100,000 of disposable cash at one time.

Yes and marketing it on one site with limited info and pictures is surely a good way to find that needle in a hay stack.

Good thing his relatives found/own insanely cheap storage (which is sometimes not the best storage for preservation)  as the length of time to store these in an environment with normal storage cost would have blown well past their value decades ago.  

Sorry to rain on the party so much,  but I look at things in a realistic term where everything in today's environment requires Capital.   Whether it's storage or restoration,  or even transport.  

I can't remember the last time I got storage for free, towing or restoration services.  Of course I have provided such for fellow hobbiests so it does happen,  just not on a large scale.