RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1938 Cadillac V16 7 Passenger unrestored original. 28k miles, off the road since 1954.

After pondering back and forth on keeping this huge machine for a long time, I think it would be nice to find a good home for it. The car is completely original down to the original paint and interior. Only 28k original miles. Everything is there including the original radio. The body is straight. The floors feel strong. I have yet to lift the car for a full underbody inspection, however, it's been kept dry and the tires still have air in them! I'm sure there will be plenty of interest in this one if I list it on Ebay, ect. However, as always, I offer my cars for the first time to our fellow AACA members. I do not know how many unrestored V16 survivors are left but I doubt the number is high. As I start to move all the stuff away from the car and uncover it, I will post more photos. Asking 35k which is a reasonable starting figure for a V16 Cadillac. Thank you.

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

IMG_2706.JPG

• Like 2

Can't wait to have a good look at it. This is an exciting opportunity someone looking to step up to a multi-cylinder car.

• Like 3

Sure looks like 28,000 hard driving miles or the storage conditions were less than ideal. What is the basis for your low mileage claim?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
On July 6, 2019 at 11:25 AM, A. Ballard 35R said:

Sure looks like 28,000 hard driving miles or the storage conditions were less than ideal. What is the basis for your low mileage claim?

What is my basis you say?  My claim? It's my car and I know the history on my cars. 

The car has been sitting for over 65 years in a barn, what do you expect it to look like? Hard driving miles....  :rolleyes: Here we go.... 

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Like 5

What is a realistic value for this car once restored?

37 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

What is a realistic value for this car once restored?

$60-80,000

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

What is my basis you say?  My claim? It's my car and I know the history on my entire collection including the other three V16s stuffed away in storage which consist of, another 7 passenger limo, a convertible sedan and a 30 V16 Roadster which my uncle picked up in 1942 during the WW2 scrap drives. Do I hear 500 on it or is that over priced? For those of you who know of me, you already know I have backed up every single claim of what's in my collection. Every car I spoke of, I posted photos for proof. I don't need to explain myself or my basis-claims. :P

The car has been sitting for over 65 years in a barn, what do you expect it to look like? Hard driving miles....  :rolleyes: Here we go.... 

Ya kinda jumped all over A. Ballard for what appears to be a legitimate question. Looking at the 4 closeup photos you posted, I and I'm sure others that wouldn't know you from Adam may have the same questions. The photos don't show much else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Ya kinda jumped all over A. Ballard for what appears to be a legitimate question. Looking at the 4 closeup photos you posted, I and I'm sure others that wouldn't know you from Adam may have the same questions. The photos don't show much else. 

Ok, maybe I did, however, what do people expect an unrestored 81 year old car that has been sitting in a barn for 65 years to look like? Low miles or not.

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

First, no, the Brunn Packard isn't available. Don't ask. No, I won't show you more pictures and I won't tell you where it is. It is NOT AVAILABLE.

OK, that said, I sold this '38 Cadillac 7P touring sedan about seven years ago in roughly the same condition:

IMG_1376a.jpg.704ea8d83f2b2613fa91c0ffd072da35.jpgIMG_1423a.jpg.73447f2c4fd07129ae536005285e8c23.jpgIMG_1381a.jpg.f96cce6d9ae799d5057ba21988fbe28e.jpgIMG_1383.JPG.2c0946c796dcc90978acfdc0e19b32e7.JPG

IMG_1394a.jpg.bf059aa9095897c30067687a5ca08e78.jpgIMG_1412a.jpg.4d82b93d721e9519c77e7ac14a1b3fa9.jpg

Like yours, this one spent decades in warm, dry storage, and it was solid and complete. They're good cars, particularly for touring. I actually sold this one twice, eventually talking the first buyer out of it because it was his plan to put the chassis from a Suburban or something under it and I thought that would be a crime. It is currently being restored overseas. I won't comment on price beyond saying that you'd be disappointed to learn what this one ultimately sold for. It generated a great deal of positive interest everywhere I posted it, but actual buyers were incredibly difficult to find given the magnitude of the task.

• Thanks 1

I would hazard a guess to say yours might have been in even better storage Matt.  Looking at close up photos of the chrome.  All expensive stuff to replate. 

8 minutes ago, old car fan said:

He does list his car's HONESTY,quite the collection.

I never questioned his honesty, simply asked what his mileage claim was based on. For example, car originally purchased by relative who used it sparing and put it in storage and has extensive paperwork. Four pictures of a very rusted car is not a claim of original mileage, sorry. Perhaps the car was stored in an old animal barn where the ammonia fumes did a job on everything. 

I only hope it finds a good home and is restored correctly or just put in driving condition and enjoyed.  Thanks for thinking of AACA and forum members first.  Lately EBay has been a disappointment to us or we just do not have cars of interest. 

• Like 5

At $55,000 that flathead sixteen was a VERY good deal. That is perhaps the very best original unrestored late V16 in existence. Properly kept all its life. These cars are extremely expensive to restore. Ask the man or woman who has done it. I have not been asked to comment publicly or privately regarding the asking price of the subject car. Therefore, I will refrain. Dr. Bob needs an engine for one of these. Anyone have a lead on one ?    -   Carl 

• Like 2

He sells rare and desirable car's he is nothing but honest on his description.He can bypass this site,so no one knows what he is pulling out the barn,hope not.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Here is another original unrestored example of a late Cadillac V16. However the top has been replaced. He and I (both from Washington state), were relieved that we were not in the same class for originality judging in the 2016 CLC Grand National. In the tough old days, CLC had only 2 classes for Past Presidents Best Original. Early and late. There had to be a subjective handicap system so that a, say, 1906 Cadillac would get proper respect being judged against, say, a 1941. My 1924 won under the old rules back in '94. I have doubts my 1927 would have given me a trophy against this 1938 if the new class divisions had not been in place.

I am very eager to see detailed pictures of all interior aspects of the deteriorated '38.    -   Carl 

C88634EE-6626-4B56-AE52-61B6A014D563.jpeg

976EFDC3-81AA-4D66-B44C-C4D8C9799996.jpeg

So if this car sold for $54K in superb condition with only 11,000 miles, the estimate of $60-$80 for the OP's car, once restored, seems a bit high?

image.jpeg

Going on the whole original thing that the one just above is and the fact that Survivors usually command a premium as discussed on the 52 Nash.  It would seem so.  Maybe it's the result of the recent dip in the market for prewar sedans. 

• Like 2

The auction car for $54 K seems remarkable.  I guess the market really is extremely limited. They are land yacht's but truly majestic. The potential  costs involved in restoring one boggle the imagination.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder what the plating bill for decent original chrome needing to be refreshed is on one of these?  20 grand? 

21 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

I wonder what the plating bill for decent original chrome needing to be refreshed is on one of these?  20 grand? 

A person could do it like I did with my car.  Watch eBay for already plated parts.  Let someone else pay for it.  I’ve found all sorts of nice parts there over time that were much less than what it would have cost me to have done myself.  It wouldnt be hard as long as most of the parts were common among all 1938 models.  

A savvy shopper could could also buy a complete car, swap the parts, and resell it without losing much, if anything.

Problem is I think alot of stuff is V16 specific,  even the Grille and bumpers so chance of finding those coming up cheap on ebay are slim.  I know i spent alot of time trying to find parts for my Hudson on there.  I bought a couple of pieces but that was over 3 years time.  Being the parts can come from any 1947 Sedan and some fit multiple years I was amazed how little good stuff turned up and I know how to find stuff mislisted. it's like Cord stuff.  All I have bought properly listed on ebay for it was a Horn ring and an instrument facia panel.  Everything else listed,  which there wasn't alot,  was worse than my parts or went for far more than replating my pieces.  I fortunately have a bunch of rechromed parts in boxes for it that I picked up from other Cord owners that sold their car or were aging out of the hobby.   I think that's the problem you will find with this car.  A more common car like a 48 Chevy you will do well , especially with buy it nows that are just listed , but if they go to full term on an auction,  it's stiff competition with the west coast low Rider crowd. 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2019 at 6:09 PM, C Carl said:

Here is another original unrestored example of a late Cadillac V16. However the top has been replaced. He and I (both from Washington state), were relieved that we were not in the same class for originality judging in the 2016 CLC Grand National. In the tough old days, CLC had only 2 classes for Past Presidents Best Original. Early and late. There had to be a subjective handicap system so that a, say, 1906 Cadillac would get proper respect being judged against, say, a 1941. My 1924 won under the old rules back in '94. I have doubts my 1927 would have given me a trophy against this 1938 if the new class divisions had not been in place.

I am very eager to see detailed pictures of all interior aspects of the deteriorated '38.    -   Carl 

C88634EE-6626-4B56-AE52-61B6A014D563.jpeg

976EFDC3-81AA-4D66-B44C-C4D8C9799996.jpeg

This car is also a particularly attractive body style of Club Sedan