1924 Nash Vin No.

Kfigel

Of course, your Nash doesn't really have a VIN number, as they only started in 1954.

Vehicle identification number

I'm thinking the best reference is the late Grace Brigham's book, 'The Serial Number Book for U.S. Cars 1900-1975,' long out of print and fairly dear as a used book.

I don't have a copy of this book in my library, but perhaps someone seeing this thread does and can check it for your number, which is likely just a simply serial number as far as I know.

I have a copy of that somewhere which might take a few minutes to find. As it happens I bought it in 1978 while on a visit to the US.

I guess it might have the same info as The Standard Catalog which simply says that the first number for 1924 was 256987.

And the first number for 1925 was 288001.

The arithmetic gives about 32,000 cars for the year and the one in question is about 2/3 the way through.

As you say - simply a serial number I think.

Quoted introduction dates are July 1923 for the 1924 cars and August 1924 for the 1925 cars. I guess build dates would be a little earlier than that so the car in question may have been built in the early months of 1924.

I don't know if Nashes have a casting date on the block - as Studebakers and Chryslers of the era do. This give a clue to the build date.

In later years cars may have been built more quickly than in that era? As an example my 1965 Pontiac's engine block is dated 30 July 1964 and the car was  assembled in California in the first week of September 1964. Whether the engines were shipped over from Pontiac, or cast in the west I don't know.