American 'light car' circa 1912?

nzcarnerd

A photo taken in Christchurch, New Zealand, at a date unknown. Although the library notes it as 'circa 1910' I think it might be a few years later.

I can see no sign of rear springs so I assume it either has quarter elliptics or maybe even a transverse rear spring.

Chch c 1910 Adam Henry Pearson photo A T Lib.jpg

Thanks. I don't know how many of the early Paige cars were sold in NZ but in the 1920s the Jewetts and later Graham-Paiges were very popular and there are several survivors.

There is a very nice 1922 Paige which has been with the same owner for many years. It has the front wheel brake setup from a circa 1924 car - and a modern five-speed light truck gearbox to enable it to cruise at open road speeds.

30874347926_1ce2424ccb_b.jpg

6 hours ago, Chris Paulsen said:

Layden is correct (as usual). It's a 1912 Paige-Detroit. Here's our 1911. Very similar chassis, very different body. 

IMG_4678.JPG

Perhaps you could post a rear view photo to illustrate the unusual rear spring arrangement.

• Like 1

I don't know just when Cadillac did away with the extra rear spring.

This photo turned up on a Facebook page a couple of days ago. The hubcaps say it is a Cadillac - I think. The windshield says to me it is some sort of  Fleetwood Custom body (maybe??)

00 to 30 0907 maybe Cadillac.jpg

I have a vague memory of a story told by a Cadillac driver on our 1996 International Rally. We drove beside the Tekapo Canal for a while. The Cadillac driver said he was just driving along enjoying the scenery and the back pulled out to pass him. The car just spun. He had no idea what caused it, but there were mumblings that the rear spring arrangement was believed or known to cause some instability. My further vague memory is that it had the transverse spring mounted on the ends of quarter elliptic cantilever springs. Am I going potty or is this possible?

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

But it is a semi-elliptic spring, not a full elliptic.

I responded to Spinneyhill's question about 1920s Cadillacs having transverse springs. Yes they are a semi elliptic spring - and not a full elliptic - as an addition to the regular fore and aft springs. Called 'platform' springing - I think.  Several heavier cars used it but it would seem that Cadillac was the most prolific user of the idea.

53 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I have a vague memory of a story told by a Cadillac driver on our 1996 International Rally. We drove beside the Tekapo Canal for a while. The Cadillac driver said he was just driving along enjoying the scenery and the back pulled out to pass him. The car just spun. He had no idea what caused it, but there were mumblings that the rear spring arrangement was believed or known to cause some instability. My further vague memory is that it had the transverse spring mounted on the ends of quarter elliptic cantilever springs. Am I going potty or is this possible?

As I noted in my last post the Cadillacs with 'platform' suspension have conventional semi elliptics with the transverse semi elliptic spring.  It was Buick that used a cantilever rear springs - and they were semi and not quarter elliptic. Rolls-Royce used the same idea. I have an idea some Rolls-Royces may have had platform rear springs.

• 10 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, nzcarnerd said:

A photo taken in Christchurch, New Zealand, at a date unknown. Although the library notes it as 'circa 1910' I think it might be a few years later.

I can see no sign of rear springs so I assume it either has quarter elliptics or maybe even a transverse rear spring.

Chch c 1910 Adam Henry Pearson photo A T Lib.jpgI believe this car has survived  and is in our possession.    Have sent NZCARNERD a message.   Awaiting a reply.