Bad Boy Billy

1928 chassis?

My involvement with other areas of vintage vehicles ; vintage motorcycles, vintage race cars, has shown me that even the worst of the worst can eventually be restored.  Look at what people in the UK, New Zealand , Australia , and even Canada start with. Its not that they are masochist's, it's just that there are so few 

starting points available. And there is a big wealth gap between the people who can buy ready to use cars and many of the interested individuals in those economies .  Also if I had the $50,000 Cdn . that it would take to buy a $30,000 USD Stutz I as a retired person could not possibly justify to my wife spending it on an old car. However she never knows about or choses to overlook  the

$800.00 a month or so I spend on my projects.   Many of the best re - production vintage motorcycle parts come from New Zealand. Lots of interest , huge shipping charges, very few starting point machines. So a strong industry of building new

parts has sprung up over the last 20 years. Motor cycles and race cars  don't use many big forging's or major stampings like production cars do. So it is quite possible to build new , old vehicles.  A Stutz has several parts that are not feasible to re- produce, the frame, the front axle beam and spindles and the rear axle housing.  Almost anything else can be re - made.

That " scrap" chassis has all of those parts. Just add some money, a couple of decades of work and  desire. Not everyone can follow along on the direct path. Some don't have the payment for the toll bridges, so must take the much longer route.  It does not mean you are simply out of luck.

Greg

if the goal is to find a Stutz as stated above there are some that pop up in the 27,000 usd to 35000 usd range.  a nice BB sedan was offered for sale last year and it went under 30,000

Upon my retirement I did a considerable amount of soul searching. My life and $ resources up to that point had been split 4 ways, British Motorcycles, Vintage race cars, a couple of MGA road cars, Vintage American cars. Simply too much!

Way too many directions, projects. I assume I have probably 20 years left for active hobby. Might be less but probably won't be more. So I decided that for the immediate 10 years vintage racing was the thing I would age out of first. So #1 priority.

Sell all my project track cars and buy one nice one{ done , the Lola I bought last summer }. Sell all of my pile of British motorcycles and parts. Keep 1, but they are no longer nearly as important to me as 20 or 30 years ago. Sell all the American projects

except my 1912 Staver basket case.

Working on it. In 10 years have another reassessment , probably sell anything racing I own at that time as I will be in my 70's and too old. Look for the best 1920's vintage car I can find, and hopefully get a further 10 years hobby use . by then 80's and at that point who knows.

It will take lots of focus to follow my plan but I think I can do it. Mostly lots of selling, very little buying.

Greg