o2zoom

1932 Buick 50 Series steering gear help

Figured out what the mystery item was.  It was part of the tensioning for the throttle shaft at the end of the steering  column.  There is a spring and two end pieces that ride in the bore of the cast piece.  When I removed it one of the end pieces fell out.  Lucky to have found it on the floor.  I didn't realize what it was until I was cleaning up the parts I had removed earlier.  Thanks for you suggestion on what it was.  

Mystery part.JPG

Those are the screws that a commented on.  Unfortunately  I was incorrect.  The screw holes are partially covered by the bearing race, but the other portion of the hole does not go through to the inside of the casting.  It goes partway along the bearing race, but not far enough to use as a drain.  The only screw that could be used is the sector shaft adjustment screw.  Unfortunately that is not near the bottom of the gear housing.  Sorry for the error.

Bob Engle

Be extremely careful with the throttle linkage.  Those diecast parts break very easily and are hard to find in good condition.

Bob Engle

If it has grease in it, NLGI 2 or similar, most of it will be up inside the steering column after a few turns, so just add the semi-fluid (NLGI 0) grease and you are finished. Heat the bottle first so it "pours"!

Steering update.    With the gracious help of mentor Bob I’m ready to start the rebuilding of my gear box.    All the components have been cleaned so will make the gasket for the box to flange and one for the sector shaft.   Waiting on John Deer corn-head grease.  Once that arrives I’ll assemble and dial in the proper settings.    

Steering Gear Parts.JPG

Did you replace the sector shaft bushes after making sure the sector shaft was round?

Looks good to me.  Shaft mic at 1.125 at + and - 90 degrees bushings at 1.122.    So about .003 clearance.  With heat expansion should be OK in my judgement.  

If that shaft moves laterally and you can feel it, the result will be slack at the steering wheel. I could feel and see no movement after bushing, although I didn't think to measure it. The steering box does get warm near the exhaust, but not that much. Anyway, does the opening in box expand more or less than the shaft, which are probably similar metals? I hope you teach me something here.

Whoops, you are saying the shaft is bigger than the bushes? Typo perhaps.

Update.  Steering gear was assembled and adjusted on the bench.  Cornhead grease was added and then clearances again checked.   Unit was re-installed in the car and I did a static test.  No more binding and all seems good rotating from lock to lock.   Continuing with other work so will road test when finish. 

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG