Judging confusion

NC-car-guy

The manual for judging seems to leave a lot open to interpretation.

From the manual:

Tires - Type Check tires for correct type (radial/ bias-ply). Radial tires were first offered as an option in 1967 on all models. One point is deducted for each tire which was not a factory authorized option for model and year. j. Tires - Size Check tires for correct size and whitewall width for year and model. A non-authentic type tire must also receive a deduction for non-authentic tire size. If neither the standard nor alternate tire size is currently being reproduced, the next closest tire size up or down may be substituted without a deduction. A non-authentic tire size includes an obviously incorrect (more than 1/2-inch variation from factory) whitewall width. One point is deducted for each non-authentically sized tire. k. Tires - Condition Check tire tread pattern; tires should match in pairs. Spare tire need not match any pair of tires on car, but if two spares are carried, they must match. 1 or 2 points should be deducted for excessive wear, dirt, or damage. Non-authentic tires (type or size) are not judged for condition. l. Tire Carrier and Cover Check for correct hardware, covers and accessories for trunk, sidemount or rear spare tires. m. Tire Valves / Stems / Caps / Covers Check for correct type for year of manufacture; valves, caps and stem covers (early years). Points should be deducted for painted stems and weights. Hubcaps and wheelcovers must match and be correct for year and model. 1932: First rubber valve stems. 1951: First plastic valve caps

Sounds to me like radials would cost me two points per tire? then if the valve stem isn't correct (I guess since 54 is a tube tire, I have to buy a special tube) that's another point per tire by the judging sheet?

Under lights I see this:

LIGHTS k. Head lamps/Side lamps andor Parking lamps/ Tail lamps/Driving lamps and/or Fog lamps Check that lights are correct for year of manufacture or a factory authorized option. A point deduction should be made for incorrect sealed beam lights or halogens if not offered as original factory equipment, headlamp housings that are not the correct finish, lack the correct trim, and / or are in poor condition. Points also should be deducted for nonauthentic lights, cracked, improper or faded lenses. 1940: First use of sealed beam headlight lamps (metal backed). 1948: Sealed beam bulbs in spotlights and driving lamps. 1955: First all glass sealed beams bulbs on Buicks

'When I see "a point deduction" does that mean 1 point per bulb? on the judging sheet it appears that headlights are worth 6pts total?

Where the heck do I find a sealed beam bulb that isn't all glass??

under the guidance for archival class....

All authentic replacements which are not original shall receive a deduction of 50% of the points assigned to that category. This deduction would also apply to surfaces or components which are obscured by rust, dirt, grease, new paint, or undercoating, to the extent that the original features are not visible. All ? point scores resulting from this deduction shall be rounded up to the next whole-point score. Otherwise, all non-original replacements receive the maximum deduction.

I'm guessing since I repainted the engine, this mean's I'll receive a 50% of the point value for engine color??

. NonAuthentic Engine (Mandatory deduction) A full 10 point deduction will be made if engine is nonauthentic for year and model. d. NonAuthentic Color (Mandatory deduction) Ref: Appendix X A full 5 point deduction will be made if color is nonauthentic for year and model. No point deductions should be made for variation in shade of color, for prewar cars with black engine color (factory replacement color) or for engines made the 2005 BCA JUDGING HANDBOOK 7TH EDITION 13 year of a color change if the color used was on the previous or following year’s model.

I don't know how ya'll do this... it stresses me out

• Haha 1

If the car was judged as you say Matt, then that would be 12 points for the tires, 2 for the headlights and I suppose 5 for the engine repaint?  Total of 19 points. But I don't think you'd be dinged for not having tubes and no one is gonna pull a headlight to see if it's all glass.    What are the award scores though?  385 and up for Archival Elite,  and 350 -384 for Archival.  I agree with Konga Man.  Make it what you need for it to be, and then just take the points and don't worry about it.  I am presuming you are thinking of having it judged in the upcoming Concord meet, and there is little point to going overboard for a one time judging. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

If the car was judged as you say Matt, then that would be 12 points for the tires, 2 for the headlights and I suppose 5 for the engine repaint?  Total of 19 points. But I don't think you'd be dinged for not having tubes and no one is gonna pull a headlight to see if it's all glass.    What are the award scores though?  385 and up for Archival Elite,  and 350 -384 for Archival.  I agree with Konga Man.  Make it what you need for it to be, and then just take the points and don't worry about it.  I am presuming you are thinking of having it judged in the upcoming Concord meet, and there is little point to going overboard for a one time judging. 

Yea concord.  So there's no gold/silver/bronze in archival?