Car ID Requested

Hello,

I am looking to ID this car for a friend.  It was taken in upstate New York likely between 1912 and 1916.  I don't know much else other than that.  I have tried to ID myself (looked at Oldsmobile Touring and Defenders, Cadillacs, and even Haynes).  None had the combination of flat fenders, segmented hood section (near the front windshield), or the front seat which was wider than the body.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

--Dale

CarID.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whatever it is , it's a nice , mid sized , good quality, pony tonneau.  Circa 1910. Most makes had one in their line up. They are very desirable today. Unfortunately there were a great number of makes on the market at the time and most were very similar in appearance. Exact ID may be very difficult.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Very unusual windshield on this car. There appears to be a long rod outside the car where the shifter should be and I don't see a hand brake. Is this a friction car? There is a friction car, whose name escapes me at the moment, that is a large HP car.

• 2 weeks later...

My first question was going to be "are you thinking of Lambert?" They built friction drive cars small and large in those years. I don't think it is a Lambert.

Then I thought, maybe you are thinking about Cartercar? It just may be a Cartercar. They were about the same size as Buick of any given year back then. MAny of their '10 to '13 models had ten spoke front wheels (a GM thing). Cadillac used ten spoke front wheels on many models around 1910, and Cartercar was acquired by General Motors after Carter's untimely death. The shifting lever looked similat to what this car has. I did not on my quick look find a picture of a really close body style however.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:22 AM, AHa said:

Very unusual windshield on this car. There appears to be a long rod outside the car where the shifter should be and I don't see a hand brake. Is this a friction car? There is a friction car, whose name escapes me at the moment, that is a large HP car.

Windshield frames don't help much on cars of this age. Many if not most were accessories and could have been installed either by the selling dealer or an independent top and windshield shop. Very few cars had a standard , factory installed windshield in the 1908 - 1910 era . A few makes listed them as factory options but even then the purchaser often had the choice of a number of different makes of windshields.

Greg in Canada

It was the Cartercar I was thinking of. They are rated at 40hp. That long stick either indicates friction drive or progressive transmission but there is no handbrake visible so I say friction drive.

After looking at the picture again I believe this is a Cartercar. When the shift lever is in the neutral position it locks the car in position, effectually locking the brakes. It is setting on a hill with the lever pushed full forward to the locked position. The windshield, which at first glance is curved to match the flat dash is likely positioned behind the dash and is straight on the bottom. As Staver pointed out, most cars didn't come with windshields in this era because most roads were too poor quality to go very fast but as roads improved, windshields were added.

There was a Cartercar similar to this for sale at Chickashea back around 1999.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...