auburnseeker

Old car bargains from around the Web

Clear title. I had it registered in TX 45 minutes after delivery which 20 mins of that was the safety inspection and 15 more waiting in line at DMV.    Sub courthouse and DMV is across the street from inspection. Life in a town of 3500 is great. I actually drove the car the to DMV to get it registered.  She asked if that was it in the parking lot as she watched it drive in. If you have insurance it is about all the sheriffs department here cares about.

But no title I would knock it down another 1 k.  Surely a title was issued on that year?

• Like 1

But no title I would knock it down another 1 k.

In my state it would bring it down at least another 2000, and that's optimistic. More likely another 4000, for that car. There are some exceptions to the must-have-title-to license rule around here, but not very many.

A lot of sellers say, "Oh, it's easy to get a title," but don't do it themselves, for some reason....and end up asking half of what the car would bring with a title.

Depends on the state it has paper from.  Could have registration paperwork from another state than it's in.   If it is a registration state,  all you have is a registration card often found in the glove box if the mice didn't eat it up.  That's all you need and is honored in title states when you go to title it.  Now if it has none at all,  or the registration is assigned to someone else then that's a big mess depending on your state.  No paperwork is almost better than messed up paperwork,  especially if the people who technically own the car or it's been assigned to are deceased. 

Like the deed to your house. It proves who the legal owner is, and thus who has the right to sell it.

You don't want me selling either your car or house for you, without your knowledge, and keeping the money.

pink slip.jpg

• Thanks 1

Decent 56 Olds… isn't perfect but looks mostly original (I'm not an Olds guy).

Curious  to know everyone's honest feedback on this one. Rockets never seem to have much value from what I've seen for some reason and was curious as to why... 

Good value or is it right in line?

If you all want me to delete them I can if they aren't value buys.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/d/phoenix-1956-oldsmobile/7017967975.html

00e0e_3VfmhJL2lHv_1200x900.jpg

And opinions on this ragtop 300 in the same price range

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/hackberry-66-chrysler-300/7006538582.html

00z0z_gFnPw5DtpnC_1200x900.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

The Olds Is about where it should be if not a tad high.  Tired interior, needs 1000 in tires, Some repairable rust?  Whatever that means, and a rear bumper that needs plating which is going to be expensive.  I have virtually that cars twin.  Was offered  $17,500 by someone a couple of years ago that wanted that exact car,  but didn't sell it because it was my first Old Car and have had it almost 30 years.  Looking back I should have took it and bought another old car on my bucket list.  My chrome is all New replated or NOS. I have alot of NOS odds and ends for it as well. 

I would say same on the Chrysler.  I like these,  but they have little love in the old car marketplace and don't seem to sell well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think both are worthy cars. I suspect if around 10K was offered the sellers would probably think hard about it. Personally, I've never understood the seemingly inverse relationship between low price common car when new to high price as a collector car but this seems true in most GM, Ford and Mopar non-ultra-rare situations.  So.. if you would be just as happy in a '50s Olds as you would be in Chevy,  this would be an attractive choice. 

• Like 1

The reason I ended up with a 56 Olds.  When I bought mine for 3G in the early 90's,  you couldn't touch a good 57 Chevy in comparable condition for under 10G.  I liked it was a little different as well.  I never restored it.  Just some light mechanical work, tires, replacing the incorrect front seat with an original one, new carpet, then some chrome work.  I never even repainted it,  though it could use a paint job. 

IMG_6000.JPG

• Like 1

It seems 64-67 big block mopars have climbed in value as the 67-71 mopar muscle cars have gotten out of reach. But these yachts get not much love while their one size smaller brothers get the bucks. Lots of people still thinking 383 speed.  I like these huge dominating presence on the road mopars with their mile long trunk and that 383 will get you moving. Really distinct color.  But being a 300 the car will have zero road feel and "holy crap I just changed 2 lanes with a sneeze" power steering. I sure would be going over the function of that power top and the overall condition because you can really eat up some $ on repairs and a new top install. If it is ripped or wearing thin knock off 1500-2 k just for that.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

But being a 300 the car will have zero road feel and "holy crap I just changed 2 lanes with a sneeze" power steering.

That one made me laugh. 

• Like 1

My 65 Fury and 63 Dodge 880 (Chrysler Newport) is like that.  Worse is the 63 needs a steering box rebuild which I plan on starting in the next few weeks so you have a couple inches of side to side play thrown in too.  Go from driving a 60's Mopar with that "pinky" power steering and get in that 50 Chrysler and it is like piloting the Queen Mary in difference. 

• Haha 1

This very special 1965 300 is like riding on a cloud.

2019-03-14 300 001.JPG

2019-03-14 300 002.JPG

009.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I sure would be going over the function of that power top and the overall condition because you can really eat up some $ on repairs and a new top install. If it is ripped or wearing thin knock off 1500-2 k just for that.  

Absolutely ! You all bring up some good bargaining points that most buyers will fit into the discussion in person as we all know...

I think as Eric alluded to earlier, one could offer less and probably strike a deal especially since most sellers have a "true" figure in mind that's less than advertised - unless the ad said firm which neither of those ads did if I recall. 

The tired interior and rust areas are a concern, as Randy pointed out earlier. 

29 minutes ago, JACK M said:

This very special 1965 300 is like riding on a cloud.

2019-03-14 300 001.JPG

2019-03-14 300 002.JPG

009.JPG

005.JPG

I wish they had put that dash in the 65 Fury. Just so plain in comparison. 383-4 spd with AC must make your car extra special !  Compare yours to a 65 Impala SS or a 65 Galaxy 500 and the Chrysler wins hands down for interior styling. But it seems every month I am tracking down a new squeak or rattle with as much steel in these interiors and they could have done a much better job with window isulators.  Looking at your 300 it is very easy to see where the inspiration came for the 67 GTX