Look what followed me home

MrEarl

‘38 Century from the estate of Roddy Pearce. Won last week with a sealed bid. Lord what have I done. Will most likely be selling for to hopefully make a few bucks to throw at the Estate Wagon money pit. Need to clean up a bit and assess the condition so I can represent it as honestly as possible. 

If  i were a young man though.....10843377-6818-490B-9001-1F80E8846718.thumb.jpeg.3f52cd944ef0f2bc520a65df1a7de259.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Awesome...someone caught the pre-war bug it seems.  If you aren’t careful, you’ll soon own more pre-war Buicks than 1954s 😳

We rode Route 66 in a 1989 Electra Estate Wagon.  It was quite nice.  Your P-I-C will enjoy it.

• Like 2

Lamar, you ARE a young man,

and as you clean and tinker,

may you decide you retain this pre-war piece of Buick history,

and add another notch in the barn post - just sayin'😎

These late '30s Buicks are fantastic fun cars too !

1937 Buick at WWII Museum-1.jpg

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right front.JPG

1937 Buick Front night in New Orleans.jpg

1937 Buick Left Front - Sarah's Wedding.jpg

1937 Buick Rear night 11-2014.JPG

1937 Buick Right Rear night.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WOAH WOAH WOAH...It fits on your trailer... I know you HAD to think about that before you left, THIS TIME. Just saying... 😂

I thought about that car I really did. In all seriousness. you put a coat a paint on it and get it running (I can help) and i may have a buyer for you. Not me, but I know someone looking and i have been keeping an eye out for him. We can chat later. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, 38Buick 80C said:

WOAH WOAH WOAH...It fits on your trailer... I know you HAD to think about that before you left, THIS TIME. Just saying... 😂

I thought about that car I really did. In all seriousness. you put a coat a paint on it and get it running (I can help) and i may have a buyer for you. Not me, but I know someone looking and i have been keeping an eye out for him. We can chat later. 

or keep the hot rod Century for yourself  and maybe I got a buyer for your Special.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrEarl said:

..10843377-6818-490B-9001-1F80E8846718.thumb.jpeg.3f52cd944ef0f2bc520a65df1a7de259.jpeg

The hood on that thing is longer than an aircraft carrier. Seriously it is longer than the RM or Limited for the same year (I don't know why, but it really is by an inch and half) and on the smaller body proportionally it just looks like it goes on forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I did indeed check out the tread width specs. Showed the Century to be an inch narrower. But the body width of yours was what was the killer that day (evening). I was relieved to see  to  this Century roll right onto the trailer with a couple inches to spare each side.

If I   

2 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

put a coat a paint on it and get it running

it would never leave Buick Gardens. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Rooster said:

And ----  what did Rita have to say about this ?  👍  👎

👉   the door!!!   Just kiddin, she never has much to say about my car dealings.  Well except for when I sold Buttercup 👎  The only thing that saved me then was who it went to.

• Like 1

MrEarl: you are probably much to young to remember , back back in the sixties, those 37 through 40 Centurys were beating brand new small block Chevies at the local drag strips. I forget what class they were both in, but the hot rod guys among us will remember (guessing it was H stock)

• Like 2

My 40 Century ( sold ) was very fast for a big turd , they had 4'10 rear as standard gears.

Special in that time period had 4.45 gears.

Also the 41 century we had was just plan bad , taking off , getting it moving and then

the second carb on that 320 cu in monster would kick in and it would haul A$$ .

Lamar, I think you will be surprised at the power yours has when it gets tuned up !!!

Good luck and I hope to visit the BUICK GARDEN someday !!

Bill

Edited by billbuickgs (see edit history)
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MRJBUICK said:

So Jack from what your saying, 

you were one of the guys prepping the way for the Gran Sport owners!

Good luck with the 38 MrEarl looks like a great starting point

I was a Lasalle  guy at the time . The LaSalles and Buick Centuries were GM's fore runners of the GS, GTO, etc. I guess we had a few Rocket 88's (your father's Oldsmobile for sure. (not sure how GM missed all that with their "not your Father's Oldsmobile" adds.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had pulled the plugs and juiced the cylinders a couple days after getting it home and today put a 1” socket on the crank and turned it. 

She’s been washed and vacuumed and mildew hit with vinegar and cleaned. Sadly,  because the car has been outside in the elements for probably 10 years, there are water stains that will not come out, mostly in the back seat area below the quarter windows. 

I have decided to sell so will be taking pictures and posting soon 

A98064EA-98A3-4EC9-8246-755B60EBF424.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I’ll let the next owner take it from here and do any actual cranking of the engine.

Best to get it running and demonstrate that is will move if even a little.  A non-running/driving car will take a $5K+ hit, since the buyer will have to assume the worst about the drive train.

Be careful lifting the head if you're gonna attempt that head gasket.  Problem is once the head is off you should have it magnafluxed for cracks, etc...

May not have been just a head gasket.  Make it easy on yourself and send her down the road as-is, at least its not stuck.

• Thanks 1