John_S_in_Penna

Unusual idea: Show gives cash prizes for young people's cars

Sounds great, I just hope it does not turn sour for the show promoters 

My favorite quote came when I was about 30 driving my 1929 619 Graham-Paige into a car show... "What's a young guy like you, driving and old car like that?"  Gentleman was in his 70's, I told him just having fun.

I let my 15 year old Son drive over 100 miles on a tour with my 1929 Graham-Paige 827, he had his learners permit.  My friend in his 80's was the licensed driver accompanying him, fell promptly to sleep woke up an hour later, said "the best naps are in a Graham-Paige"

I think the best way to make the new guys/gals welcome is go over and talk with them.

20 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

The show chairman is Jay Zimmerman, telephone (717) 321-3149.

Thanks, again, John.  Just received a return phone call from Jay.  Very pleasant man.  As you said it has grown most recently from 104-to-174.  Show held in conjunction with a huge antiques sale on the main street of Gettysburg just one block over.

Jay said it will be held September 28th so it does not interfere with Carlisle then Fall Hershey.  Said he would snail mail a brochure today.  When I get it I will post it in the meets & tours sections.

Peter.

Where does the money come from to give away ? Most shows are put on to raise money for something .  King32

4 minutes ago, kings32 said:

Where does the money come from to give away ? Most shows are put on to raise money for something .  King32

This show is also for charity.  I was wondering myself

where the money came from to give away all those prizes.

That's $1300 in cash awards and gift certificates alone;

and the cost to print that color booklet for everyone can't be

small.

I suppose:  Selling ads in the booklet;  car-show registrations;

maybe some local sponsors.  Maybe some other source.

Many years ago, there was a local show in another

part of Pennsylvania that gave away cash prizes.

Those prizes brought out a few really spectacular cars.

I recall a brass-era American Underslung, perfectly restored,

and an orange late-1920's Packard roadster.  I had never

seen those cars locally before.

The owner of the American Underslung, an expert on that

marque, said to me, "Cars cost a lot to restore.  It's nice to

get some money back for a change!'

Twenty years ago I helped start a Downtown Fathers Day Show.  The them was your car is your award.  Preregistered cars received $10 "Downtown Dollars" to spend with any downtown merchant.  sponsorships were found for the dollars.  About 150 cars showed up.  Everyone was happy.  A few years later, the downtown merchants decided that people love their cars so much that they will pay us to let them show their cars.  An entry fee was charged and I no longer attend.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 61polara said:

Twenty years ago I helped start a Downtown Fathers Day Show.  The them was your car is your award.  Preregistered cars received $10 "Downtown Dollars" to spend with any downtown merchant.  sponsorships were found for the dollars.  About 150 cars showed up.  Everyone was happy.  A few years later, the downtown merchants decided that people love their cars so much that they will pay us to let them show their cars.  An entry fee was charged and I no longer attend.

Charging to go to park my car at a cruise night I have found to be insulting. I refuse to do it anymore

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, John348 said:

Charging to go to park my car at a cruise night I have found to be insulting. I refuse to do it anymore

Cruising or parking ?

I find parking my cars, even if free, or having them just sit around in shows insulting to them and their heritage, since I believe they too prefer enjoying and performing activities they were all born for, cruising at speed on cool open roads and scenic highways.

Whenever I get a chance to go out with any of them, I as often a possible refuse to let my cars endure humiliation of sitting still, especially since they are forced to do so far too much in my garage or shop already. 🙄

To OP: Perhaps it’s just me and my experiences, but I think attempting to lure attendance with awards/prizes to any kind of event or show is not a new or unusual idea and could have adverse effects, not only for obvious, including ethical reasons, but may send a message of the given event being “desperate” and I’ve seen it too.

Years ago, a friend of mine established a small local “car show” and to keep attendees coming back instead of going to other similar events, which all offered “awards/trophies”, he eventually found himself constantly looking for “cheap”, even pre-owned sporting event trophies found at any local thrift stores, etc. and needing to keep track which attendees had already received one recently ...

... and in the end, like so many others before or since, his show, even with awards, gift certificates, trophies live music and couple of different, nice locations, etc, also folded.

Besides, those intrigued to attending because of cash awards may be the cheap bast**ds not willing to spend any with local merchants anyway.

I believe if an event/show is destined to be successful, it will be so on its own merits and even if it costs money to attend.

Some the best and longest running vintage car events in the world cost truck loads of money to attend/participate and always seem to have more applicants than they accept. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

8 hours ago, TTR said:

Cruising or parking ?

I find parking my cars, even if free, or having them just sit around in shows insulting to them and their heritage, since I believe they too prefer enjoying and performing activities they were all born for, cruising at speed on cool open roads and scenic highways.

Whenever I get a chance to go out with any of them, I as often a possible refuse to let my cars endure humiliation of sitting still, especially since they are forced to do so far too much in my garage or shop already. 🙄

It is pretty hard to insult or humiliate a machine. How anyone enjoys their car is up to them and i personally don't criticize how they elect do so. It's always good to remember some people like vanilla, some chocolate and some don't like ice cream at all, does not make anyone right or wrong

I am sorry I guess I was not clear when expressing my point. I myself have no problem paying to enter one of my cars in an event, when that "fee" is used to offset the cost of the event, or it is going to charity or such. I do have a problem being asked to give $5 - $10 to have the 'privilege' to park my car on a street in a town, or a parking lot to boost local business's who profit off the spectators, and the car owners. Keep in mind the spectators don't pay anything to look at the cars that the owners pay to enter. Sort of like of the entertainment paying the audience. I would not mind if a dash plaque was given out or a few coupons to the local eateries who are benefiting, but they don't, because there is line of people every week willing to pay for nothing every week. The deciding factor for me was a restaurant/bar that we frequent on another night before before our local monthly car club meetings decided to use a different menu on the cruise night charging more. This is just one instance, but I am pretty sure that business model is being used at many a cruise night. Without the owners bringing their cars, there is no event.

I was at a local show on Sunday that was hosted by a local club, I had no problem paying to enter, they had free raffles for car owners with decent prizes, and gave away trophies, and hopefully the club was able to make a few bucks for their treasury, after it was said and done. When their judges came around to look at the cars. The first question we were asked is "are you planning on staying here until 3 pm?" Which I was not interested in doing so, so they kept walking....... but if I knew it was going to be $150 instead of a trophy I might have stayed around.

Thinking about it now maybe the show that the OP mentioned is not all that bad of an idea, and I hope it works out well.