cdan34

v12 oil flow

I'm interested in knowing if a semi full flow filter can be installed in the later lincoln v12's.  I know the method on the v8's but I'm wondering if you could block the rear horizontal oil passage in the same way and

come from either the top or left oil port to filter out of filter to front oil port on rear of block. Merv Adkins sent me a nice diagram of the oil passageways and it looks like this may work. I may be way off on this,

but is it possible and does anyone know if it's been tried ?

Thanks 

Chuck

Hi Chuck, Yerr I  kinda  know where you are coming from. The street rodders do it to the Ford side valve V8s.
Looking at my LZ. bellhousing there does not appear to be enough access to the main oil gallery to drill and tap to fit the oil plug in and divert the oil flow thru. a full flow filter then back into the oil gallery to the main bearings.
Others may chime in.
Roy

IMHO if it is possible, it is an awful lot of work for little benefit. A full flow filter will clean the oil and allow longer intervals between oil changes, but most collector cars are not driven enough to worry about that. The biggest contributor to oil contamination is the carburetor and a filter will not remove those contaminates (gas and water).

A full flow filter will not reduce sludge acclumination, that requires driving the car until it the oil reaches operating temperatures and not getting into situations where the coolant boils.

I would just use a good quality filter from NAPA and change the oil every 1,000 miles and when it goes into storage. Also don't let the engine idle for long periods and drive it for at least 30 minutes before you shut it down for the night to evaporate the water and fuel that leaks down from the carburetor.

If you really want to keep the oil clean, install EFI. The engine will start and run better, but look terrible under the hood.

Thanks guys for your comments. The semi full flow oil filter idea seemed easier to me on the later v12's because you don't have to drill and tap two times as you do on the flathead v8's. Using the stock filter would be fine and the way to go if this were going to be a high point car. Unfortunately this '39 Coupe saw some hard times, 92,000 miles, a Buick v8 with dynaflow, Buick steering box, column and wheel also other mods plus being left in the wet for many years, no protection.

The car is now a rolling chassis coming back to life with Colombia rear and Zephyr trans. The '46 - '48 v12 will be modified a little for power. The rear end is running

later Ford Axels, not too difficult an improvement. So from the outside with original color this car should look stock.

I wanted to mention the engine is using Hogan Heads, solid lifters and the crankcase ventilation will come from pan to oil separator with vacuum from check valve, exhaust. These modifications are visible but not that bad. 

Chuck

I did this to the 48 V-12.  I had the machinist who did the block use the Ford instructions and put a plug in the internal bypass passage.  You are right about being tight fit.  I was able to get a pipe elbow on outside hole to attach to a hose, but had to screw in a short section of brass pipe for the inside hole.  I mounted the filter on the pan with a Lowes bracket.  Seems to work.  Its not a complete bypass, the oil pump also feeds the rear bearing directly.

Abe

Abe, I'm glad to hear that you were able to do this. I didn't know if the front horizontal port were restricted in some way internally. But I think it's open to the same oil volume as the standard oil port that feeds the rest of engine.  Great to see you've done it !

Chuck