09 Metz

Foreman715

Got her home today she's #7333 so it must be a 09. Looked inside engine and it looks real good. It's missing some minor parts on the car but I'm wornerding if it ever ran as the hole for the crank is not cut out so you cant start it. Also there is no tap in the cyl. for the oil line.  With this deep oil pan does it have a oil pump?

Gary

New Metz 001.JPG

New Metz 005.JPG

New Metz 012.JPG

New Metz 014.JPG

New Metz 015.JPG

Dear Gary,

First, I am a female who has been working on antique vehicles since I was 15 years old. I own  two 1909 Metz's vehicles (photos in previous thread) since 1988. I also own a 1903 Orient buckboard. I believe I may be quite familiar with your particular vehicle. I am not certain as I cannot read the serial number on the engine in the photos I have (but may have it written down somewhere). I believe this vehicle was previously in the hands of Harry Campbell from Blairsville, Pa. He did in fact remanufacture the grill along with many other sheet metal parts, etc. The work was never completed nor minor errors corrected. Thus, the lack of crank hole opening. The support bracket for the crank handle is the yoke behind the grill shield. As for the serial number ranges there are MANY inconsistencies and holes in the sequence. Therefore, these vehicles are  dated by specific features and NOT by the engine number. I believe your vehicle is a late 1911 and a factory produced car not a plan car. More and clearer photos would help. It appears in your photo to have a round gas tank behind the seat, which should be oval, mounted on a slant. With the square deep oil slump, you should have an oil pump. I would turn the engine over by hand or with a drill motor(some orchestration involved) to be certain it works BEFORE attempting a start. I would also verify the breather on the engine cover works and is not just a plug cap. I regards to a carburetor,  I do not believe you will have success with a model T carburetor, as the throat is much too large for a two cylinder engine. You should have a schebler much like the ones used on an early motorcycle. Perhaps a more modern tillotsen from a small Hercules or marine engine would be a better chose. One from a single cylinder engine may also have too small a throat. You will also need to have a means to advance and retard the magneto, as all of the linkage is missing. Haste before proper verification of function can lead to damage, expense and bodily harm. I hope I have been of some help to you and I wish you good luck with your "new" car. Have fun. DIANE

• Like 4

Much better photos Gary. Vehicle is still a 1911, as I answered previously, because of the deep sump with oil pump. Earlier engines were splash oil system and shallow crankcase. I will be happy to help answer your questions and send you photos, but I will do so through pm not in the forum. Glad you have the round gas tank for under hood, sorry I thought I saw it in the previous blurry photo behind the seat. 

• 1 year later...