raugusti

1958 Full sized vent windows

Are the vent window assemblies for a full size '58 the same for coupe and convertible?  From what I can measure with them still in the door, they seem to be.

Thanks

Scott

If I get a chance later this week I will measure them for.

My Limited is a 2 door coupe and the Special is a rag top so will see what I can come up with for you...

Pretty sure the big series and small series vent windows will be different regardless of body style.

• Like 1

Big and small different, coupe and convertible of same body same.

On 6/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, raugusti said:

Are the vent window assemblies for a full size '58 the same for coupe and convertible?  From what I can measure with them still in the door, they seem to be.

Thanks

Scott

When you say assembly, if you mean including the frame, They are different. The coupe is designed to flip the flipper, the convert not so much. If you mean just the glass and glass channel, the book lists different part #'s for coupe and convert. so likely won't fit. Often  lots of subtle differences between coupe and convert..................Bob

Bob's comment about the door flipper had me going out to take another look.  While all the dimensions seem to be the same, the difference appears to be this little part of the casting that sticks up on the coupe version. 

1042213391_coupevent.thumb.jpg.12b059da88355d63c62633ae79abddf8.jpg

Seems like, if you really had to you could grind off the extension for use on a convertible, although it doesn't appear it will interfere with anything.

76071397_convvent.thumb.jpg.c216d363097323f961fb3d8c0ee6f96a.jpg

This is where mine is broken on my convertible.  Allowing the assembly to flex.  It seems to be pot metal, so a good repair is unlikely.

1931711773_brokenvent.thumb.jpg.0ab518bf7780e35c12cea2e2c99cb6e5.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's input.  If you happen to have a good, driver quality or better driver's side vent window assembly you'd like to get rid of, let me know.

Scott

"Big and small different, coupe and convertible of same body same"

I stand corrected.  I assumed that since windshield, door and everything else on it was same this would be too but didn't think of flipper.

I have one from a 57 coupe but not sure if same as 58 without checking part numbers.  You'd have to grind the little wing off of course.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, raugusti said:

Bob's comment about the door flipper had me going out to take another look.  While all the dimensions seem to be the same, the difference appears to be this little part of the casting that sticks up on the coupe version

Yup! ...............I've "fixed" broken frames but in my opinion your is non repairable. Convertible specific parts are getting  scarce. Most are going for car restoration rather than for parts. I would say artfully grinding off the tab may be your best option. The pot metal won't rust and no one will notice if you don't point it out. As a disclaimer: I THINK that is the only difference but there may be something else to thwart your plans. The fact that the glass channel and glass also have different part #'s  is a red flag. Good luck and let us know..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)