Spotted this nice Studebaker wheel and hubcap at the scrap metal yard....

keiser31

The guy would NOT let me just pop the cap off of this Studebaker split rim wire wheel at the scrap yard. I guess, once they pay someone for it, they keep it and melt it. I was bummed. The cap looked to be in SWEET condition....

Picture 29906.jpg

What a jerk. He would rather scrap an antique car part, rather than sell or give it to you. Scrap value is what, about a buck or two? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check with the local authorities that control business licenses. I have found some licenses do not allow resale of parts by scrap yards. Not logical, but the law!

Maybe tell him you want to buy a hunk of scrap iron, a particular shape.

• Like 2

Hey, Frank!  Why are you still a Junior Member with over 1,000 posts?  What do you (or I!) have to do to become SENIOR members?  We're both over 50, no?  Greg

22 hours ago, keiser31 said:

The guy would NOT let me just pop the cap off of this Studebaker split rim wire wheel at the scrap yard. I guess, once they pay someone for it, they keep it and melt it. I was bummed. The cap looked to be in SWEET condition....

Offer him $20 to go to the toilet or something and disappear it while he is away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tom Devoe said:

That's the wheel to my car.  And I need a hubcap to replace a dented one.  Heartbreaking....

Wish these scrap yards were near me.

I know they are tough to find in that condition and I wanted so badly to get it, in order to offer it on this forum to a needy soul.

4 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

Offer him $20 to go to the toilet or something and disappear it while he is away.

If you need it, just pay for it!

Crickey, I'm ashamed of my Studebaker SDC members! CASO= Cheap Ass Studebaker Owners.

• Haha 1

Greg, I'm senior enough to now have a Medicare Card!

Maybe the moderators have seen my posts and still think I am a young whipper-snapper with teenage snarky remarks.. 😁

Thank's for the heads up- I hadn't noticed my post count. Where's my cake? Doesn't 1000 posts get a celebratory cake? 😃

John,

You mean that he wouldn't let you take the wheel and cap together as a unit? Even wheels in bad condition can be made to look acceptable for use as a side-mounted spare. It looks like the wheel and cap like on my 1931 80R . It may be one model down, if it is a 19" wheel, but not as wide. Not sure, but 1931 Pierce Arrow might have used the same larger wheel.

17 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

John,

You mean that he wouldn't let you take the wheel and cap together as a unit? Even wheels in bad condition can be made to look acceptable for use as a side-mounted spare. It looks like the wheel and cap like on my 1931 80R . It may be one model down, if it is a 19" wheel, but not as wide. Not sure, but 1931 Pierce Arrow might have used the same larger wheel.

He said that once it is bought by the steel yard, it's theirs. The steel yard next door would sell anything, but these guys will not.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, slowjim said:

Just for fun, do you have the  name and location of the scrap yard?

It's called Schnitzer Steel. It is at 2625 Avenue G, White City, Oregon 97503. Phone number (541)826-5758.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

So they wouldn't sell you a 16 oz cap because it took away from the overall weight of the rim? No way in hell that part being attached to the wheel is heavy enough to pay as much as you would have paid.

Surprised they're in business with that mentality. 

I was looking at investing in the company stock but not after reading this.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have encountered the same kinds of policy and/or laws here in Ohio in scrap metal yards.

MANY years ago my daily-driver was an all black 1968 Impala, with factory 427 engine, bench seat, 400 turbo on the column, and 12-bolt posi rear end. A accident by clumsy truck drivers at work crumpled in my entire roof line, so the company paid me off and let me keep it as a driver. Then one day I'm driving down the road and see a flatbed tow truck hauling an all-black 68 Impala SS 427 body towards the biggest "auto shredder" yard in our region. I turned around and tried to catch that driver before he got through the gates, but I was too late. I pleaded with them to let me buy it, pointing out that it was a very good body exactly matching my car, which had a damaged body. I offered buy it and then bring back the body of my car, once switched, and all parts I didn't use...for free! I begged everyone in that little office to look out the windows and see how nearly identical the cars were (including the guy who had driven it in the gate to sell). The main boss smiled sympathetically at me, said he understood, but that this company was not licensed to SELL anything to the public. He said that authorities were constantly trying to make them buy additional business license(s) as a salvage yard, but that this was expensive, and would change the legal category of their business, and affect their taxes, and was therefore totally forbidden...no matter what. I was desperate...but no go. Finally, in desperation I pleaded with them to at least allow me to buy that rare SS hood (available on SS 427 models only), and switch it out with my own OEM flat hood...and maybe let me buy some emblems, etc. NOPE, no way. "Sorry, but you need to leave now," was all they would say. Sigh. If I just could have seen that tow truck driver 5 minutes sooner, somewhere up the road!! 

A lot of people in the old car hobby find themselves buying and selling from unregistered businesses. Things get a lot different when things go "above board". Regulations and checks one would never believe are out there. My wife is one of the most screaming liberals you could find (opposites really do attract) and she does my books for a non-auto related business. She can't believe how businesses are treated by government.

On the automotive side, here is a common classic. A guy goes to the auto parts store and uses the discount and tax number for a garage or junkyard to get a break on his parts cost and pays cash. Since the sale of the part is recorded to the registered buyer (the friend or former employer) it must be taxed at resale or for their personal use. My junkyard friend's wife used to give her husband hell when she had to send in the sales tax for items all the user's of his account bought for their personal use. They never thought of that.

If a scrap yard operator buys scrap and sells bulk wholesale, he may have no allowance for tax collection and government agencies have no problem sending out innocent old guys to ensnare them. Even tax on a $20 part can get them in front of the states attorney general.

• Like 1

Reminds me of silly "clunker" exchange program. It wasn't all that long ago, I'm sure most remember it. Cars had to be running and be a certain age but no other requirements. Not a single thing could be salvaged. My nephew was a mechanic at a Ford truck dealership. The dealership spent a good deal of the weekend disabling, and virtually destroying vehicles, on contract, so the temptation for any kind of salvage would be discouraged.