Sign in to follow this  
Nile

How replace brake light switch?

My brake lights, including the nerdlamp no longer work.  They are not getting power.  The fuses, grounds and bulbs are ok.  The signals and tail lights work fine as does the cruise control, but not the interior lights.  I assume the culprit is one, or even both, of the brake switches.  I have a parts car so parts, theoretically, are not a problem.  After eyeballing the switches I'd guess someone 1/3 my age might have a chance at removal & installation.  Is there an easy way to replace the switches?

1 hour ago, Nile said:

My brake lights, including the nerdlamp no longer work.  They are not getting power.  The fuses, grounds and bulbs are ok.  The signals and tail lights work fine as does the cruise control, but not the interior lights.  I assume the culprit is one, or even both, of the brake switches.  I have a parts car so parts, theoretically, are not a problem.  After eyeballing the switches I'd guess someone 1/3 my age might have a chance at removal & installation.  Is there an easy way to replace the switches?

NO! You can see where it is, it's just a matter of finding someone 1/3 your age to accomplish the task. There is only 1 (one) stop lamp (brake) switch.   I'm nearly 80 and have done much under dash work over the years, I'm pretty sure I could still replace the stop lamp switch.  

However, you might want to check at the 'quick-disconnect' (that's where the stop light switch wires plug into the under dash wiring harness) that you are getting power too and through the switch before you go and pull it out.

If you disconnect it, the connection, you can use an ohm-meter to check continuity through the switch when the brake pedal is pushed. Meter should read open circuit when pedal is at rest, and closed circuit when pushed. Since the speed control works, which would indicate the exact opposite, that means that this circuit through the switch is OK.   

Pulled the brake switch from my parts car - you're right, Hemi, it wasn't that bad a job.  Connected it to the "quick-disconnect" and still no lights, so I checked with an ohm-meter and have no power to fuse #6.

23 hours ago, Nile said:

Pulled the brake switch from my parts car - you're right, Hemi, it wasn't that bad a job.  Connected it to the "quick-disconnect" and still no lights, so I checked with an ohm-meter and have no power to fuse #6.

You say you have no power to fuse #6. 

It is fed power on one leg from a common feed within the fuse box.

Pull fuse #6 and check both terminals it is connected to, one should be hot at all times. If it is not, there is a problem in the fuse box.

Let me know the results of your test.

No reading at all.  To make sure my meter was working I checked another TC with working brake lights and got a reading.

11 hours ago, Nile said:

No reading at all.  To make sure my meter was working I checked another TC with working brake lights and got a reading.

OK, you can see that fuse #6 gets it's power from the same source as fuse #5.

So check that fuse and if you have power at #5, then check the fuse box closely to see why you have nothing at #6.

As you can see, #7 also gets it's power at the same source as well as the circuit breaker in #8.

IMG_2631.thumb.JPG.42ba604886e83a745360a59817fad6e2.JPG

Power seats, windows & locks work, as do all parking lights so circuit breaker #8 and fuse #5 are getting power.  Nothing downstream of fuse #6 or fuse #7 works.

I'm heading off to Carlisle tomorrow AM, so hopefully a few of us can put our heads together and either figure it out or work around it temporarily.  I'll use my trailer so I won't have to go thru hitting the tail lights or flashers each time I stop to, avoid getting rear-ended.  

28 minutes ago, Nile said:

Power seats, windows & locks work, as do all parking lights so circuit breaker #8 and fuse #5 are getting power.  Nothing downstream of fuse #6 or fuse #7 works. 

There has to be something obvious on the back side of the fuse box that you should readily see without a magnifying glass.

Got to Carlisle and Rich Lane was able to figure out a way to get power around the fuse box so I had brake lights for the Shootout.  Good thing, too, as 18 out of 19 of my fellow competitors got to see them!  Full report when we have photo/video links.  Needless to say it was an incredibly satisfying event!