63 Riviera Limited?

MY64RIVIERA

Alright folks....I'm sure a bunch of you are at the annual meeting, but wanted to ask a question which I think I know the answer to.  I was at a local shop looking to get my exhaust done on my 64 and the owner of the shop has a couple first gens in his yard and one of them he believes to be a branded "Limited" early additional 63'.  It has the following additions to the body:

1. "Limited" badge on the truck lid where the 64' "Riviera" badge is located (Looks like the same script as the "Riviera").  I know in 63' BUICK was spelled across the truck lid.  

2. Top of front fenders are mounted turn signals indicators (like the attached picture).  Fairly confident this was not an option and someone added (was actually pretty well done and did look stock)

3. Rear quarter panels were marked with a round Buick Tri-Shield emblem at the rear most point of rear fenders.  (Looked very odd).

Stupid me....I didn't take pictures of any of those things, but did take a picture of the body plate.  The car was an early production (11C), very highly optioned with A/C and was originally Spruce Green with Sandalwood Cloth and Vinyl interior.

The car is in pretty bad shape and would take ALOT of work to bring it back to life.  I wanted to provide this guy some information so he didn't go down a path of thinking he had a hidden gem sitting in his yard.

Looking for confirmation that there wasn't a "Limited" early production 63' Riviera.  Fire away.

Thanks,

Robert     

73_scamp_fender_indicator.jpg

Nope. Someone just found some aftermarket "bling" and thought it would dress it up.  Similar to a guy who was selling a '83 Riv locally.  It had a couple of plastice protectors around the door locks. They said 'Special Edition' on them.  He was asking way to much for this car because it was a "Special Edition."  He wouldnt be swayed.  The car is probably sitting in a shed somewhere now.  Another guy was trying to sell a 96 Roadmaster as a Collectors Edition - said so right on the hood emblem.  I told him that all 96 wagons had that ornament because Buick knew it would be the last year for that model so Buick labeled everyone as such.  Some people like to think (hope) they have something special because the guy from whom they bought it suckered them into buying it and they're trying to recover their losses. They're just hoping that youre as big a sucker as they were.  There have been Limited styles in other Buick models though.  Ask him for proof of other similarly equipped cars.

Looks like those fender top turn signal indicators are off a Mopar product.  They were popular with Mopar's in the 60's/early 70's.  Ford had them on the 64-66 T'birds but they were more rounded and bullet shaped.  Cadillac had them in the 60's as well but they were integrated into the trim.