Scammers. Again

JustDave

The scammers are out and about today,got a call from Nevada this morning 775 213 3781,said his wife’s dad just passed recently the house was sold had a bunch of devaux parts,new right away it was a scammer,I believe it was the same guy who called me last year,told me his wife was deaf. No smart phone either,asked for a pi by text he said his phone wouldn’t take texts or pics kept him on the phone for awhile,told him to get the list of parts and call me back,when he called back I didn’t answer.waited about 10 minutes and called him back told him I just filled up the tank checked the oil and was ready to come get the parts just needed the address,he said it was out in the country,told him I was born in west Virginia so country didn’t bother me none,said he’d call as soon as his wife returned,believe it or not I’m still waiting,dave

Speaking of spammers. I recently placed several ads in Craigs list and every time I received a reply by E-mail via CL wanting me to further describe the product.

When I replied, they did not contact me, but I then received a bunch of E-mails now that they know my E-mail address.

9 hours ago, Roger Walling said:

Speaking of spammers. I recently placed several ads in Craigs list and every time I received a reply by E-mail via CL wanting me to further describe the product.

When I replied, they did not contact me, but I then received a bunch of E-mails now that they know my E-mail address.

That's why all my CL ads say 'Send phone number and I'll call you.  No email replies.'  Any reply without a phone number gets trashed.  No exceptions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, padgett said:

When I post an CL advt, the email they use for replies has a masking relay. I use the same relay to reply. It is built into SMTP.

Except....the recipient sees the screen name on your email account.  So if you're 'john_smith@xyz.com', the receiver sees 'john_smith'.  At least it worked that way a few years ago when I discovered it.

2 hours ago, Harold said:

Except....the recipient sees the screen name on your email account.  So if you're 'john_smith@xyz.com', the receiver sees 'john_smith'.  At least it worked that way a few years ago when I discovered it.

It's not that way anymore.  Below is the email information that I received when selling an item on Craigslist.  All you see is cryptic email addresses that have nothing to do with your  or the senders actual email address.

From: "craigslist reply 2d1c" <2d1cdfce623536b78f3cb1d3f347023c@reply.craigslist.org>   

To: 2d1cdfce623536b78f3cb1d3f347023c@sale.craigslist.org

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Whenever one puts something for sale on CL nowadays,  the scammers line up with enticing offers "they'd love to come and see the item", but they're out of town for work" or, any excuse. If they don't succeed in robbing you of funds, at least they try to harvest your contact info.

Here's a sample from my attempt to sell an AC for $200.  It almost looks legit, I say "FAKE"   I received 4-5 similar.  

"Hello, how are you today?
       Seems Craigslist is currently having problems with their Reply Relay. I've been messaging you since last night. Unfortunately, I can not longer come to pick it up in person as planned because I  just had a change in my work schedule but I believe I'm ok with the condition as seen on the CL post as well as the price stated. I'm ready to make instant purchase and my mode of payment would being a "Certified Bank Check" via USPS overnight delivery.

I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you receive check, cashed it and have your money in hand, I promise you everything will go smoothly as I would like to have it before my wedding which comes up in a week.

Kindly get back to me with your
Full Name,
Full mailing Address OR PO Box,
Cell Phone Number and Your Price

As soon as these info. are provided, payment will be overnight to you and I will let you know.  I will also add an additional $50  in order for you to hold it for me till the Check gets to you.
"
Regards
s
"The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Edited by drwatson
posted too quick. (see edit history)